Elixir skills

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

So...

We have two new skills that can kinda be learned and that kinda work (but only one at a time, by design) to improve either the duration or potency of consumables.
    Except it doesn't work with obsidian pots, poison(?), or ANY of the foods in the game (which is like, most of the consumables)
    In fact from the sounds of it, the only thing it does make any difference to is the handful of short duration stat potions? (Which I'm not going to carry and chug every 15 mins. Unless this passive makes them last an hour, I'm still not going to carry then and chug them constantly. And why would I ever take duration over potency otherwise?)

So, it affects like, a handful of items in the game.
    If that's the case, why fool with a skill at all? Why not just tweak the stats on this one, small subset of items (or add a few variants) and be done with it ?

I spend a decent amount of time on these forums. I haven't heard anyone asking for "makes small set of consumables either more potent or last longer", I haven't really seen it talked about, it just came out of left field one day and got cobbled into the game half complete. The end result even if this skill was working properly would be what, a nominal increase to the effectiveness of a handful of items from a passive skill that people will throw some exp into and forget about forever. Its going to make very little difference to anything since everyone will learn it to whatever level is affordable depending on how much they grind and then it will be old news.

I just can't for the life of me work out why this is a priority or why time is being spent on this instead of, you know, picking and fixing/balancing one of the dozens of existing pointless/bad/awkward skills in the game, or why we're still fiddling with skills at all when we have a long laundry list of incomplete systems that desperately need attention.

[​IMG]

2. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

These skills are a distraction.
    "Look, we added 2 new skills!" Doesn't matter that the skills are pretty weak, only that they were added and it gives peoople an hour or two of new content to see the number go up.
    It also derails the numerous "when are you adding new sword/moon/bludgeon/bow/chaos skill?" Since these are for everyone they can say you just had 2 new skills added.

We saw the same thing when Chris announced he was going to go fix crafting, make it more meaningful and expand the system. More xp for meticulous and some actual xp for harvesting crops is what we got. Both of which are only loosely related to crafting in that it effects your producer pool.

Edit: oh sorry, forgot the number was increased for how many crafts you can make at one time. This now means that the actual skills that do this for you are kinda redundant but at least you can afk for longer intervals when refining stuff

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Good luck with that.

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I've always wondered how well you could actually do that, though. I mean, I know it wouldn't be worth it, because skills go down faster than they go up. But it'd be interesting to see how much a GM skill would go down just raising the other to say, 20 or so.

Anpu likes this.
  5. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I currently have 250M in the adventurer pool. I could give it a shot. However, I don't feel a pressing need to get super drunk for a long time in SotA world.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  6. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

TBH with those saying that due to the way these skills have been implemented they appear a waste of time and no intention of training them

7. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Yep

And the next one is going to be Titles from the look of the bandwagon

You can be sure that one will be as unfinished as everything else

So instead of having maybe a couple of maps completed in this time or whatever

We can display the master poisoner title we get from like shaking hands with an alchemist and make a bunch of threads complaining why the new skills don't work with X consumable.

8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

They're not exactly the awesomest thing ever, but if you use a lot of pots, the Receptive skill is worth it.

Anpu likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Avatar

I guess that's a firm no. I don't have the xp nor the time to test it out.

Am planning to publish a book on this. I'll just put it as you can't do it then. Thanks.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You would constantly have to switch which skill was training. If you set one skill to "learning" or "not learning", the other skill will automatically be set to "unlearning".

Time Lord and Nick like this.
  11. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Hypothesis: Get a lot of XP in your pool to make it quick-- say 100M+. Someone posted in chat yesterday they are 5X skills, so 6.some odd million to 100. Use a potion of guidance for 3X XP in skill learning. Train one to 12M or more XP (high 107 to 108). Set to unlearn. Train the other.

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

The problem is you can't set them both to maintain. With "normal" skills, the order when you click the button is Unlearn>Maintain>Train>. With these two, it's Unlearn>Train>Maintain>. Once you set either to train, the other automatically switches to Unlearn. To set an Unlearning skill to Maintain, you need to go past Train, which automatically sets the other to Unlearn. So it is not possible to ever get them both to Maintain. In theory, yes, you could get one really high, then let it go down while you train the other and shoot for some sort of "happy medium." But once reached, you could never keep them there. And since they are Tactics and Focus skills, pretty much anything you do in the game that involves combat is going to make them go up or down.

13. Nick

Nick Avatar

Maybe there should be a toggle. Enable one disables the other. And you need to go to the trainer to enable it.

14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Just wait a while before this skill is actually implemented. That uh, may take a while....

15. Nick

Nick Avatar

Can always release a updated book. Too often I log in and I roll my eyes then log out. This is something to do. :p

Anpu likes this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I agree to the sentiment of this being another distraction. It is fine to add better potions. I'm on board with. Something worth using to stay alive if needed. What I don't hear is why are we doing this?

Not once do we hear we have a new journal system started or achievement system coming in, or more skills added to cooking, well it was mentioned by Chris he's going to be working on food. Does that mean cooking skills or more complicated balancing? I just dont get it. The few things needed to be a more complete game do not get mentioned. We hear of just another addition out of the blue but not that basics are coming.

I'm not saying to not add or improve but what is happening? What is going to happen? Are we getting a new journal system that better tracks progress and is easy to use? Will it be a knowledge journal with tabs to explain what to do in the game? Will we get a new improved quest system?

Will cooking get skills to improve food? That's what should improve food. We should be able to improve it with our crafting skills. You know those skills that aren't there. Also making recipes that require alcohol use to make brewing more viable.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Time Lord likes this.
  17. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

So as previously stated, I'm reluctant to make these work for something that you pay for. I don't plan on adding Obsidian potions to use these bonuses. As for food, I will probably add all food to receive these bonuses. As mentioned on last Friday's stream, I'm working on lots of food changes right now. I was hoping to get food using these values once I'm happy with my food changes to make all food more meaningful instead of just 2 or 3 foods.

@majoria70 People talk about requested features as if they are all equal difficulty. These changes PLUS the food work will be less than a weeks total work for me. Achievement system or Journal system is in the months of work to do well. Also, I'm really trying to stay focused on producer stuff, loot, and performance for a few releases. I know everyone has their own priority lists but for me, those three are what feel most critical and offer the most benefits to players based on time spent.

Again, I can talk about this some on tonight's stream.

Chiasma, Time Lord, Echondas and 2 others like this.
  18. oplek

oplek Avatar

Ah, so that's why many don't know about it.

19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

In the stream where you talked about you plans, you had mentioned that you wanted to be sure that a "3-point" food would still be better than three "1-point" foods. I think this would make irrelevant all the work you're doing to fix foods. If there's a single food that's better than using multiples of weaker foods, I'm still not going to use the weaker foods. Not only would I not want to use something weaker when there's something stronger out there, but if I buy my foods, it'll be easier to just search out and purchase two kinds of food than six. And given how many steps it takes to make a lot of foods (butchering the meat, making flour/oil/butter/pie dough/et cetera, then cooking) I'd rather continue making just two or three foods than spending an entire day at the cooking table making all the stuff to make six or more kinds of food. I think for your system to really solve the problem, multiple weak foods need to be equivalent to stronger foods.

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin and Net like this.
  20. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Could have made it less than a days work lol

Couple hours changing the stats on all the crappy foods to something ballpark reasonable for the time being

Couple more Copy / pasting refining skills like Batching/Swift Refine/Efficient Refine to the cooking tree

Scrap new tactics skills, scrap new titles and that's almost a week to spend on more important things

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.