More meaningful food

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick, Aug 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Avatar

So now Chris is talking about looking into food. My first thought would be he'll be looking to increase stuff related to combat.

Perhaps we can give him some feedback, ideas what kind of effects we would like to see.

I'd like to see some of the food that helps with producers, with effects up to 30 mins perhaps? I believe these will help crafters with their production.

Food that will help:

Swift gathering
    Increased meticulous chance

Increase Batching
    Swift Refining
    Efficient Refining

Increase Masterworking chance
    Increase Enchantment chance

Increase chance for exceptional product.

Anything else to add?

Glantor Edge and FrostII like this.
  2. Abstrax Phoenix

Abstrax Phoenix Avatar

Int food? ;P

AzazelReborn and FrostII like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Avatar

Doesn't the food made from fishes give int?

FrostII likes this.
  4. Net

Net Avatar

It does from some fish, but the unicorns are way better.

I still think that just like with the artefacts we should have an option to combine bunch of junk food and make an actually useful dish.

5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, maybe this is the time for the way/way overdue Catnip team to "review" exactly what they've given us for INTELLIGENCE FOODS.

I'll start with a pic of the Int foods that we have had since they added all the big fish - *hint* it's been a long time now.

Have a look, (continued below the image):

[​IMG]

Notice that they all have +5 Int (except for the one and only Shark meal) which is +10 Str.

I'm gonna bet that 85% of you were not aware of these meals and that 99.999% of you have NEVER EATEN ONE OF THEM.

Why not ? Because these fish are on the "Daily Fish Drop" IE Only a tiny number (for sharks it was 1 per rl day, but may have been increased recently to maybe 3 per rl day).

That means that most all of you elect to mount these as a trophy (vs cutting them up for a 4hr food), so you virtually NEVER see anyone either using or selling them.

Since Chris is paying a modicum of attention again to fishing, (with the new lava fish coming in soon), my hope is that he accidentally peeks at this thread and become aware of what he's somehow not been aware of - and stop making the "good int food" fish so stupidly rare or give easier to catch fish give the buffs for Int.

Example:
    I can go to Deep Ravenswood (or where-ever) and kill one or two Obsidian Bears and Wolves, go home and make the 4hr foods from them that give +5 to +6 Str/Dex - all with ease. Most everybody knows this...

One can only hope.................... ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    majoria70, Kyri, Luno and 3 others like this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Oh, and @Net (since you're up this time of day), what Unicorn meals give +5 or more Int ??? ;)

7. Net

Net Avatar

It depends on the food and I think your truth virtue, but it can be up to +8 Int for stew iirc. And maybe +7 Int for Medley.

Anpu likes this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I never really understood why they even added the trophy fish food, other than it being a joke or something (?).

Some random API numbers:

The common drop of a swordfish in the last 30 days was a grand total of 24......

Light Unicorn meat last 30 days was 39 and Dark Unicorn meat was 55.

Hazard, majoria70, Net and 2 others like this.
  9. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I would like to see existing cooking recipes modified completely and brought into consistency with other crafting recipes. As it exists now, there is a ton of fluff in the cooking tree and extraneous recipes.
    For example:

- in carpentry there is a recipe for a Long Bow.. that's it.. 1 recipe... and the materials you use affect the outcome.
    - in cooking, a few examples ..
    Fried carp, fried catfish -- why not have a single recipe called "Fried Fish" .. and the ingredients you use affect the outcome?
    Baked Pacu, Baked Cod, Baked Salmon, Baked Trout --> "Baked Fish"
    Dark unicorn stew, light unicorn stew, dragon stew, (Dupre's) duck stew, fish stew, (Grannus) beef stew, mutton stew, obsidian bear stew, venison stew, rabbit stew, squirrel stew --> "Meat Stew"

10. Drya

Drya Avatar

I can go out and farm Obsidian Bears non-stop in Deep Ravenswood for a good Strength buff food. I can kill packs of wolves in Ulfheim pretty much non-stop for Obsidian wolf meat to cook up food for a good dex buff, along with plenty of Obsidian Bears, Obsidian Deer and the occasional Wyvern for an even more occasional haunch that make an excellent dex buff. Where do I go to farm the mats to make a comparable food for an intelligence buff with a comparable amount of time invested? Fishing is so random and your chances of fishing up the desired type of fish so rare that it is not worth the time invested for most players. I know exactly where to go to farm in Deep Ravenswood to farm Obsidian Bears nonstop all by myself. Plus, I'll get XP for crafting. The other sources you mentioned require a group of players to harvest and are rare drops. Mages need a food source that gives intelligence stats similar to those of strength and dexterity for a similar amount of effort. It could even be a plant like Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors, that is only susceptible to magic spells and sometimes drops a seed of magery to grow a plant that gives a nice Intel buff when cooked up. That might even appeal to the vegans among us who have to grit their teeth every time they slay an Obsidian beast for its valuable flesh.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    Sorgin Txakal likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They already have this in-game. I believe they're called Flesh Flayers. It would be great if they dropped an ingredient for a nice int food.

Drya likes this.
  12. Boobles

Boobles Avatar

Make use of Troll Hip Bone for soup or something.

Echondas likes this.
  13. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I would like to see some more rare ingredients that can enhance current recipes. For example, just like with how you make a bow you can use differnet wood and strings, how about different kinds of mushrooms with a rare truffle you can get that applies a bigger bonus and maybe different kinds of bonuses for sacks of flour purchased vs organically grown and home processed wheat could have a more nourishing effect. Then there is the whole, can we wrap it in bacon - can we get a garnish slot that we can use to further enhance common recipes?

Just adding two more skills that increase the quality of food and potentially add a random bonus would completely change the dynamic of food in vendors as well as keep lower level foods relevant:

• Experimentation (Requires Cooking lvl 20) - Leveling up this skill will give crafted food a chance to grant and additional random bonus or a small chance to spoil (turn unto compost)
      • This would potentially keep all foods relevant, even low tier trash fish food, while potentially making rare high quality food
    • Gourmet ( Experimentation lvl 40) - This skill increases the base stat buffs of all food crafted and increases the length of food bonus duration for consumed food.
      • This would make all food better and cause the chef to eat less of the food they make themselves so more can go around

But I think a large problem is the low tier food like bacon and fish foods which just result in thousands of fish fillets and salt-cured pork sitting in banks and vendors with no demand for them. composting into fertilizer seems like the easiest solution, but I would prefer if there was a reason to cook it in the first place.

FrostII likes this.
  14. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I was thinking about this again and thought about how great it would be if the cooking skill was made something closer to how the fishing system currently works.

What I mean by that is, I think it would be great if food success was made a bit harder, but in exchange effects granted to the foods were randomized between ranges, effected by the quality of ingredients used.

It would be awesome if a follow up or related contest to the weekly fishing contests could be cooking contests to see who could make the best foods given a set of criteria.

This would add natural fluctuations in demand for certain types of ingredients that would dynamically change as different contests were held, in addition to the normal demand for standard ingredients that are always in demand as chefs are increasing their skills and providing for their guild and/or feeding vendors.

This would also make it where there is no standard market price of any particular food as the final end prices isn't just a function of the cost of ingredients and time, but also the "masterworked" qualities of the end result.

I say masterworked for a reason as I understand that the only way this system would work is if it isn't applied to every individual cooked thing but either the entire batch or as an individually applied "garnish" that could either be applied to things individually or a specific stack.

This would give a lot of people their dream of a "bacon wrapped _____", or a "______ sandwich", or "_____ salad" as the garnish slot/masterwork would determine the final presentation of the food cooked that could then be placed as a decoration and/or consumed. - so then every single current recipe doesn't have to be reworked to be a placed decoration, but a new set of deco-placable high tier foods could be added as a result of this new cooking mechanic.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Then it wouldn't stack.

16. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

That's why I was saying it would have to be applied to a whole stack that has been queued.

Otherwise ya, it would have to be whole new recipes that make it worth it to spend the time and effort to make/sell them individually - probably ones that use the rare ingredients which are generally done in small batches anyway; but I think applying it to the whole stack that has been queued would be best for the game economy.

17. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Upon further consideration of this topic, why isn't cannibal stew or some kind of cannibalmmeat pie a placeable decoration? Especially since it would never be used as a food in battle in its current state?

This is actually I think a greater oversight than how poorly bacon is treated in the game in terms of usefulness.

18. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Really liked hearing in the live-stream today how exceptional crafting in cooking may result in exceptional and rare versions of the recipes we are crafting.

Won't solve the problem of ingredients that have limited usefulness in recipes that don't have a good base effect anyway, but hoping that this new points system helps with that with possibly a more robust salvaging mechanic that will let us recycle some ingredients back into stock from old food or make compost to sell/use.

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm not looking forward to that because it means that "exceptional" becomes the new norm and the rest is throw-away.

Net and Anpu like this.
  20. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Then there's just no pleasing you :p

The food point system is what is going to make the lower tier or "normal" food more relevant.

Ideally we'll see a salvage to compost option in soon, then you can still make a profit off the food that did not turn out exceptional.

Personally, I plan on just charging more for the exceptional food than the non exceptional food and seeing how things go before I pass judgement on the system.

Edit - Also if the exceptional buff was randomized a bit, there would be a deeper pricing meta with no one best food to sell at one best price - and then we can have like iron chef tournaments in game like fishing tournaments. Whoever makes the best X within a certain amount of time, etc. wins the prize.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.