1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Mounts

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Barugon, Aug 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

On Friday's livestream, they were talking about upcoming mounts. The mount that I want is a troll! Ride him piggyback and whip him with a riding crop. Oh yes please.

[edit] Oh, and he should have a ball-gag bridle.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

A swarm of ants that you wear like roller skates.

3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

No, wait, I want an Atos mount. When you put the spurs to him he goes faster, but then nerfs the rest of your abilities.

4. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

I want a mount that will work correctly.

5. devilronin

devilronin Avatar

tamable mountable slime, and mountable tames(realistic, not oh you tame a chicken, your first mount...)

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Only if riding one looks like this:

[​IMG]

Astirian, Time Lord and Barugon like this.
  7. Net

Net Avatar

I always wanted my own racing snail:)

[​IMG]

8. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

2 normal sized rabbits and and 6ft reins.

:)

Barugon likes this.
  9. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

He also mentioned how if you get hit, you automatically get knocked off. How about @Elgarion and @Chris a skill called "well seated" (or something else. not really good at naming things) where the higher this skill, the more it takes to knock you from the saddle. For example, as a new rider (without this skill) you may well be knocked from the saddle by an arrow from a teir 1 mob but with this skill at lvl 100 it may take a teir 10 (or higher) mob to unseat you. A skill like this is common among many games I've seen where as a new rider pretty much everything knocks you off but the more skilled of a rider, the more it takes to knock you off. Also, how about letting us tamers ride our pets? maybe put in a skill that's separate from "tame creature" which would be used for getting a combat pet. Maybe "tame mount" which basically means anything we tame using that, we can ride but they won't fight for us. just some ideas. :) To clarify, "tame creature" gets us a combat creature, "Tame Mount" gets us something we (or others, we can sell) can ride. thanks for listening.

P.S. Please don't short change this system. It has the potential to be really cool if taken the right direction and done to completion. The common theme I hear across MANY on these forums and elsewhere is they feel systems are not fully completed before moving on to the next shiny. Please take this one seriously and don't "half ass" it to be blunt. pardon my bluntness. I know no other way. :) thanks.

OzzyOsbourne likes this.
  10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Mounts will certainly be an exciting addition, I'm just curious on how this is going to be implemented.
    If I'm going to have to fool around with my necklace slot to mount/dismount this is going to drastically reduce the appeal

Consider also that the distances we have to travel in zones is actually quite small
    If the animation to get on/off the mount is more than like...half a second, or requires standing still to execute, or fiddling with equipment, often times you are in a scenario where its more practical to just run to your destination. I've seen mounts implemented in this way in many games and the result is its a cosmetic party item that you sit on, not a practical tool for conveying oneself from place to place.

In most modern games, the 'summon mount' once learned is a hotkeyable skill. This would be workable.
    In everquest 2 for example, you summon your mount and unless you manually unsummon it, you're always riding it. If you go into combat, you automatically dismount and when combat ends you automatically remount. No fooling around - its seamless and painless.

I'm curious how this system is planned to work and what its goal is, is it just for looks? Can you still execute movement buffs while mounted? If not, will the mounts be fast enough to compensate?

11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

On a completely unrelated note...
    kitten mount, please! (I got to help make one of these for an indie game, its little tail wags and everything). Sota needs kitties too!!

[​IMG]

12. devilronin

devilronin Avatar

ewww, thats like gw2 all over again, if it had scaling hp% to you or summon creature it would be great.

13. devilronin

devilronin Avatar

i was thinking more like DQ slimes or the myriad of isekai anime/manga where slimes have different cores, with multiple color slimes also being good different roles in combat(i want a healing tame, as redtape lady is the only other healbot we have, even though she's weaker than a dedicated healer).
    we also need enslavable/tamable succubi, that can give us piggybacks:p

14. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'll tell you how this will be implemented. Whatever cheap Unity store asset they can find will be plopped into the game. They may tweak it, but it'll largely just work the way that asset works. They'll mark this one off the list, then move on.

15. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Didn’t he say many months ago that they found some easily implemented mechanics for it and were going to look into it?

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm guessing that it'll be a lot like the non-combat pets: double click the item in your inventory (or drag it to a utility quickbar slot and press that hotkey) to mount. I'm also guessing that you won't be able to mount while in combat mode and you won't be able to go into combat mode while you're mounted (unless you get hit and "knocked off" your mount).

17. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah, that's my concern.
    If I have to change deck/equipment, cast a summoning spell, wait for an animation - lets say 5 seconds of fiddling around - you can clear a LOT of ground in 5 seconds with sprint/dash/flute and the zones quite simply aren't that big. Having to get on/off horse and fiddle equipment every time you stop to harvest something or if a trivial mob sneezes on you, is going to make it pretty pointless.

18. devilronin

devilronin Avatar

add new equip slot, add editable hotkey(h or v in many games, or even ctrl since sneaking and theft arent available... yet?)

19. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I'm doing a stream today to talk about some stuff including crafting balance, intentional community toxicity, and a few other things. I'll add mounts to my list. OneAndOnly is working on mounts now and expects to have a first pass sooner than most expect it.

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.