Apparently, they fired the Lawyer too.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bugmaster77, Aug 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

I did the search on the Delaware division of corporations site and unless you paid the $10-$20 you have no idea whether Portalarium is active. It's listing in that site does not say the company is active or inactive.

Catnip games has the rights to use the Portalarium name, this has been stated by Chris on stream and further supported by Elgaeion in previous forum threads. According to Chris, this was done to avoid having to scrub the name Portalarium and still allow that name to be used by Catnip.

2. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

My understanding is that it was what we refer to in the business as a "trade and asset" sale. Two companies, which are separate legal entities owned by different sets of shareholders. Company A (Port) sells its trade and assets to Company B (catnip) for an agreed amount. Frequently that amount will be a set amount up front with an 'earn out' % of profits for a set period payable afterwards. Company B does not take on the liabilities of A (unless specified). Rights to trading names etc would usually be included.

Its a common way for the owners of a company to exit, although there can be other reasons. There are also limitations (eg it can't be used to just ditch liabilities in a case where the shareholders of both companies are the same etc)

Widsith [MGT] likes this.
  3. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Catnip games provides this forum; if I elect to give legal counsel, for free, on this forum, I am neither Catnip’s attorney nor am I entitled to payment for my ‘services’. Rather, I am just volunteering my legal counsel for free, and it is surely worth what was paid for it. No more.

The OP’s point is nonsense. When we all played this game pre-release, we were literally testing this game for free. Heck, we paid them for the privilege to test this game! We all volunteered to do so. We are not entitled to compensation because (wait for it......) we volunteered our time. Bug reporting is optional; absent an obligation imposed by a contract to provide a service, you are not entitled to compensation.

Under the OP’s ‘legal theory’ I am going to send him a bill for giving him legal advise - he has neither a case against Catnip nor much understanding of the law. And since he posed a ‘legal theory’ and I (wait for it again ........) volunteered to correct his ‘legal’ conclusion, I must be his employee entitled to payment.

We lawyers have a bad reputation, well earned on our own. We don’t need amateur opinions posted on video game forums by non-attorneys who do not even play the game to help rehabilitation our reputation. Without knowledge of law or the game, the OP is internet trolling incarnate.

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I have a cousin who dates a guy.

Cordelayne, necronut, Prada and 2 others like this.
  5. necronut

necronut Avatar

My cousin invented cousins.

Girlsname likes this.
  6. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I invented dating cousins.

Girlsname, necronut and Prada like this.
  7. maverick77

maverick77 Avatar

Have you actually spoken to your "cousin" about your legal opinion? Chances are, if he/she is worth their salt, they would just tell you to shut up and wouldn't touch such a "case" with a 10 foot pole. I love it when family members or friends offer up my legal services before they even talk to me. Many times I have to tell them you don't know what you're talking about; you don't have a case; you're completely out of touch with reality; and may god have mercy on your soul.

8. Prada

Prada Avatar

Can you say "Summary Judgement"?

Again, unless your cousin's name is Vinny, your case holds no water, and your comments no veracity...

Since you will be unable to substantiate the burden of proof, the burden of production, and the burden of persuasion; you will likely be awarded the opportunity to pay the defendant's (Catnip) legal fees...congrats!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  9. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

i dated someones cousin once

Anpu and Prada like this.
  10. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

11. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

[​IMG]
    These kinds of threads are like new and exciting content.

12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

13. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Well this is all getting rather tedious.

Cordelayne likes this.
  14. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

I do have access to the Delaware site - The Texas site I also recommended is free to use if you know where to look. Yes - the company is still active. You are correct that they have the right to use the name (Just like Broadsword acknowledges EA when discussing UO), but that is not ownership as you claimed.

Sean Silverfoot, Merrik and Anpu like this.
  15. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  16. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Alrighty, this one has run its course. Thank you all for expressing any concerns on such matters.

Bedawyn, Xiones, King Robert and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.