Cabalist Sieges for Pvp - ers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Aug 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I understand your points, and we can discuss them in more detail elsewhere ;)

Among other things... which rolls back to @FrostII 's point, there are things that really need more attention from our dear Devs' limited "bandwidth" before they focus on added value items like this.

FrostII likes this.
  2. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

My point is that they are already in the game and nothing needs to be done other than to change the "look" of the shard for the besieged simply to stick to the lore. Dont know why they used an obsidian shard in the first place in Upper Tears... it clearly shows Catnip's lack of understanding of the lore of this game.

Nevertheless, I sincerely want them to focus entirely on bug fixes and player retention and increasing population by any means. So yes, I agree with you and Frost that this is a great idea to be shelved for the future.

Jikininki likes this.
  3. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Off topic: You are referring to a shard in UT... is this a new development, or have I just not seen it? I have to admit, with doing solo runs at the Tartarus Maze I haven't been back there in a while.

FrostII likes this.
  4. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

It's Chris' way of nerfing UT. Yes its new and completely outside of the lore. It's basicly an obsidian shard in the center of the UT spot where the wave fight happens under the waterfall through the door. It buffs the mobs and has different iterations (maybe 3?). Obsidian shards negate magic and prevent the oracle's protection and abilities. This one gives out buffs..... to the mobs.......... and incidentally player pets which allows my brother to solo it because he is a high lvl tamer.... its fun to watch when the pet gets the dps buff....

Jikininki likes this.
  5. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Cool! I may need to go there and take a gander with my pet then ;) [/offtopic]

6. aragorn lancermane

aragorn lancermane Avatar

Pretty much this....

See above post. If you are getting your reference from MOBA games then you can't put it in the same category as MMORPGs. Of all the MMORPGs out there currently the top 3 have been consistently World of Warcraft, Elderscrolls Online and Final Fantasy. Of those top 3, the majority have been way more PvE players than PvP players. Of the 3, WoW has had their PvP part of the game the most successful but again- the majority of the players have been PvE.

No one can blame the PvE community for being bitter about PvPers in this game for having the most noticeable "clique" upon release especially on the streams and looking down on those that dislike or don't participate with PvP. Sorry folks, but PvP does NOT make a MMORPG.

Catnip is trying to fix the game by doing going at it the way they see they need to. Is it optimal? By no means at all- I'm hoping they realize where and how they failed since launch and fix it from there. Where my main concerns are in the following:
    • They continue their pattern of not finishing a project or task to fix
    • Put more "shiny" things in the game instead of fixing the game
    • Not being able to discern what is NEEDED feedback from WANTED feedback
    • Not truly separating the game into PvE, Crafing and PvP and fixing things in the appropriate priority of
    1. PvE- Background of all successful MMORPG is in the PvE content, its game mechanics and its base function of core abilities
    2. Crafting- Successful MMORPGs have crafting at a bare minimum supplement the character. If we want to break the mold, find a way for crafting to be integral. However, it will all still rely on ensuring the game mechanics work as it should
    3. PvP- This is NOT Fortnight, PubG or anything of the like. If it were, then yes... fixing PvP would be the 1st priority hands down. Finding a way to break the mold would be fine in game- but this is first and foremost a MMORPG and NOT a FPS.

Again, Catnip is doing what they can to keep the game afloat where and how they see fit. In my opinion they should have done this a long time ago before launch, before alpha, before they started the kickstarter. And just to re-iterate, the PvP suggestions seem good. I personally would prefer something along the lines of a "Alterac Valley" battleground but again- You can't focus on PvP in a MMORPG until the PvE side is established, fixed and working to a way where it will hold itself up when changes need to happen.

Nutshell statement and TLDR: We either wait for them to fix the game with our constructive and needed suggestions (Not criticism because there is a difference after all) or we leave.

7. aragorn lancermane

This is one of the reasons why there is a HUGE disparity. "You" call it roleplaying. The fact is that it IS forcing someone into going into a zone where they can be ganked. Call it roleplaying all you want- its forcing someone to go into a zone for a possible gankfest. That is not role playing. It does not matter if the vision came from Richard Garriot or not, its still forcing someone into a gameplay they may or may not want or like and possibly get ganked.

Calling the PvEers "carebears" and "ignorant" is another reason why this game has failed. Where is the "toxic" police for your statements?

8. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

It's been 6 years of pve development, while the populations has steadily and fastly declined. How long should it take?

9. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

If you read carefully, I never called PvEers as you suggest. I am a PvEer...

10. aragorn lancermane

Not arguing with you on that. It has been IIRC closer to 7 years which brings me back to my point. The game should not have been released when it did. Now they're trying to scramble to fix something and in the meantime they created a monster within the community by not controlling the "PvE vs PvP" nonsense.

To answer your question tho- I don't know. My hope is slowly fading for this game as it is. But... I still have some hope. For me though, I'll hold my reservations when they release the next "dungeon" they have. LB's "castle"? if its another dungeon that is scale-able with no bosses then I'll seriously be putting my time somewhere else.

I'll still wish Catnip well if that happens simply because they at least starting to take the reigns where thy should. Whether that be in the right direction for the game or not remains to be seen. But at least they're taking the reigns......

Grumpy Krabnevir likes this.
  11. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

To be honest though I think we could all come up with dozens of reasons for the decline without trying too hard. Its nowhere near as binary as that, whatever your stance on PvP ;)

12. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Honestly... till it is done?
    Basic things that still need to be fixed, corrected, or made more useful:
    -Maps
    -Journal
    -Quests that don't complete correctly, or no way to remove them from your journal
    -Dozens of scenes that have no bearing on the story, and conversely, a story that is completely disconnected from most scenes in the game
    -Scenes that really have no reason for existing at all (Tartarus)
    -Guild wars
    -a world where personal decisions affect the things around you
    ... that's just the easiest things to correct and/or actually deliver on as promised that would have yielded the greatest results. The list at this point is actually pretty daunting, and wouldn't blame Portnip for simply closing its doors on this.

13. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

I don't think the population can take another 3-6-infinity years of development at it's current implementation.

14. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

It would actually be the most 'industry professional' thing they could do at this point, they certainly can't stand/brag on their customer base.

@Lord Tachys al`Fahn and thank you for your refraining from using that inflammatory racist phrase from before. I appreciate you social maturity.

15. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

The graphs over on the ".net" site show a small and slowly declining playerbase. Whether you believe those numbers or not the pattern on either of their measures is similar. Interestingly the number of new characters created actually looks more constant (although it too drops a bit in the last 2-3 months). That suggests the issue is more one of retention / activity (which I'm sure I've heard Chris allude to)

Given that the company needs to be paying its bills and small team those declines need to be turned into gains or its lights out at some point in the future.

I doubt that is as far away as 3-6 years, and I doubt its less than a year. Something needs done to change the way things are heading.

Grumpy Krabnevir likes this.
  16. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Keep in mind, a good portion of those 'new users' are not new accounts, simply new characters (if you read how they count them) that have been created, many on existing accounts by current players who are simply creating alts for one reason or another.

17. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

As well as, I personally know people who log in 5-8 alt accounts almost daily, so even the login numbers are not representative of actual different players.

18. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Agreed and understood- as do I (in most games I play lol) - although if existing players are invested enough in the game to be continually creating new alts I guess they are not part of the decline problem :)

Without actual data its all best guess but that's the most effective source I'm aware of

19. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Factors like these apply in all MMOs - even Eve where they show you login numbers people playing on one account are rare (I run 4 at once and I'm average lol). The absolute numbers are meaningless as a result when estimating 'true player counts' but the patterns and trends are more useful.

20. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

You are quite correct, which makes the available numbers and overall trend (pulled from the actual game API) all the more depressing.

Scanphor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.