1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Give us a reason to visit the now neglected Passages

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Anpu, Aug 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

A long time ago, players had to go to the various passages to collect the various regional gems found within the various passages. Now players obtain all the gems in the game from Trolls from the overland map, Vertas Pass or player dungeons. (I don't have a problem with that though).

Do some changes to these scenes to give us a reason to go back through these scenes again.

Just some basic better resources or other various reasons would be nice to see as an incentive to go back and visit these (mostly completely unused) scenes.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Silently likes this.
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Even just cranking the fragment drop rate on gem nodes would get me back in there, and perhaps adding some deco color variants using different ones.
    Other than gems, resource density in the passages is pretty poor which makes them poor mining spots and poor producer spots.
    I.e. shogun string lights with a blue tint using sapphire instead of garnet or a red tint using rubies ...suddenly I need thousands of gem fragments..nom nom nom

3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Oh, man, you're just trying to get me to rant about this again, aren't you?

I always thought instead of opening the passes on the overworld, they should have made the passages into t1 zones, with t2-t5 side passages behind breakable walls. It'd be quicker to go through the passes on the overworld, but lower levels could run through the passages more safely.

Given that ship has sailed... the passages seem like a perfect place to include mini-expansions. Drop in a new breakable wall somewhere from time to time, with new sections of cavern to explore. Change some of the nodes to t6 nodes. (And add a bunch more of them!) Maybe the next Bunker scene accessible from the passages. Or a new mining scene. Or lava fishing area. If List or @Sannio get need a break from what they're doing, they could throw together a new hard-to-find wave battle or daemon summoning chamber, stash it down in the passages, and see how long it takes people to find it. :)

I mean, if they just added two new rooms and a few corridors each release, it wouldn't take long for the passages to become a huge complex rivaling the Underworld of old.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Bedawyn likes this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I’m completely fine with the current tier 5 level of the passages. But the current resource output there isn’t worth the time to even visit them.

5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Oh, yes; I wouldn't change the difficulty of the passages now. That was only as part of my idea to make them the "safe" way to get around the overworld passes for low level players. Since that is now moot, leave them t5, but use them to expand the world in small bites every release in an easy-to-implement manner using existing assets and tech.

Anpu likes this.
  6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

It would be really cool, like you suggested, just add some small new tunnels and areas to these from time to time (this actually adds an element of exploration to the game) and possibly one day they might be even connected to Mistrendur.

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Agreed. I actually really enjoyed trying to do the main story while avoiding PvP areas; exploring the passages and trying to find my way through. Well, the second time; I was a little too low-level for some of the passages my first time, and mostly just ran around trying to avoid the mobs. Second time, I was high enough to deal with them, and could properly explore.

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Some great ideas although hearing of wave battles I feel like omg this tech is so over-used well imo. Now quests that take us to all scenes in the game to find lore, resources, and having something different happen. One reason we were told very long ago for not having an open world was that we could just drop in scenes and change them up. I don't see this happening or neither does it sound an easy thing to do. What new is ever happening in scenes to entice us to visit? Is it possible to have a schedule of interesting things happening? Are there achievements, tasks or anything to entice us to visit? Not really game created stuff. It is same old same old.

A cool thing in FFXIV was creatures appeared that were special every once in a while perhaps the locals know of something new happening to search out. Drop in occasionally a local NPC who can tell you of hearing something strange. These creatures were kind of like our glowing creatures. They looked a bit different when spotted and gave better loot and were a bit more difficult to take down.

We do have reapers and I love the concept of reapers and how hidden they are. I think they are adorable but loot could be better as with most things in the game. Perhaps different reapers of different tiers of difficulty too that look a bit different. Like as an example only Pine Reapers, Maple Reapers, Spiky reapers. Just examples.

Also treasure hunting if done right could take us to all areas of the game. X marks the map with our survey tools. How about treasure hunting skills or even just tools that allow us to see? Having to search out areas using our map and compass for the red X would truly be interesting to some. When the red X is finally spotted get out those shovels for a dig animation and dig away until the treasure is uncovered and sometimes treasure comes at a cost of a battle for it. Opening the chest could have gotten some love too with lock picking difficulty and chests colors or names telling difficulty, so mob difficulty to fight over the chest perhaps, but lock picking that would be another thing not in game either.

Fishing could have done more with different areas having different types of fish, but grinding for trophies and fish can get old and without new fish loot like message in a bottles that give maps or map pieces or quests or a clue or just treasure chest or small cache, something to make fishing much more interesting was not done or completed like most everything in this game.

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Plus, how cool would it be to bust open a wall and find a chamber with ruins similar to the bottom of Hilt...

Anpu likes this.
  10. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

There are some great suggestions here, thanks for sharing!

Improving the resources would be an easy change that wouldn't take too long, so I added that suggestion as issue #67442. Not sure when I'd be able to get around to it, but it's on my to-do list.

The other suggestions, like adding off-shoot dungeons, wave battles, and even lore/NPCs would be bigger in scope so I'd have to give a lot more thought to whether or not to work on things like that for those Episode 1 scenes. Mostly likely, as I've said several times recently, I'll probably continue focusing on Episode 2 work with only minor changes, improvements, and fixes for Episode 1 areas.

Wilfred, Anpu and Cora Cuz'avich like this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Don't need to be extensive changes, just spitballing. I think ideally, they would be small quick additions here and there.

Wilfred, majoria70 and Anpu like this.
  12. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Wouldn't it be fun if occasionally kobolds showed up in one of the passages, and next time you went down (i.e., after a later patch) it had grown a bit, with some new resources and occasionally a new connection?

13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Thanks @Sannio for at least looking into this!

Just some better resource gathered in here would be good. I do actually like how they are all matched to each region for each type of gems (and ore).

In doing one complete run around of the Spindrift Passage, and then looking at my inventory I was like..... why am I even in here? :(

majoria70 likes this.
  14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

But, yeah, even just resources would be awesome. We need some more places to mine with decent returns. I know I'm getting tired of Crag and Elysium.

Anpu likes this.
  15. marthos

marthos Avatar

Here's a problem that I see. If you improve the resources just a little bit, nobody will bother with the zones so it was just wasted effort. If you improve the resources too much, they will become the next hotspot zone, making previous content wasted effort. If the passages become the best place to get fragments, the troll zones will see less traffic as they become a bit less desirable. One scene's appeal become another zone's demise.

I think that a broader vision is needed where, ideally, each zone will have a distinct purpose that ties into the overall adventuring or crafting vision. The underworld passages should definitely play a part in that and offer up something unique. It is the underworld after all, it should have a different role to play in the vision of the game than any of the overworld scenes.

Fister Magee, Widsith [MGT] and Anpu like this.
  16. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

That is a very good point. What happened was this was where you had to go to get gems. But those now all come from trolls, and that’s fine.

There’s now no reason to go here now, because it doesn’t have that specific reason to go there...

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Also @Sannio I don't think everyone is asking for big deal changes or additions necessarily to episode one. Discoveries and added resources has always been way too limited in this game.

It's always felt like quite a few scenes had that un-finished feel or little reasons to visit more than once.

Wave battles do not make a scene, grinding does not make a scene. That you can climb to the highest mountain and discover something, a clue even, a quest even, or a mystery matters.

Areas slathered with lore, discoveries, and an occasional npc's that knows if something happened in the area. That can be randomized to change out scenes.

We would so appreciate some more attention to detail in all scenes to give them more reason for us to explore them. Task driven system would be awesome too.

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.