Lord British Mac & Cheese recipe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Echondas, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I made @Lily Byrd 's recipe tonight and had a bit of leftover cheddar from the brick of cheese, so I grated that on top because there's no such thing as too much cheese :)
    [​IMG]

My roomie helped make some protein and veggies (yes that's bacon!) to balance out the meal :)

[​IMG]
    (no I didn't eat all of that - the cats got a piece of chicken and the other is in the fridge with the leftover Mac&Cheese.. which we will have to eat over the course of the next week .. lol)

2. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

add smoked gouda. it's gouda.

Echondas likes this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Gouda, or gouda 'nuff?

Echondas and scroda like this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I'm so sorry.

5. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all
    While waiting on LB's recipe I though i would post my wife's recipe. When she first told me what was in it and that the Macaroni is not cooked ahead of time I thought "This is going to taste weird". It is defiantly not your usual Mac N Cheese but it has a great taste and providing you have a blender it is so easy to make. It is a variation on a recipe from the vegetarian cookbook called the Moosewood Cookbook . Enjoy

Moosewood Mac and Cheese Variation
    Minutes to Prepare: 20
    Minutes to Cook: 45
    Number of Servings: 4

Ingredients
    • 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
    • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
    • 1 tsp dry mustard
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1/4 tsp pepper
    • 1 pinch cayenne
    • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
    • 1/2 pound dry macaroni
    • 1 cup shredded cheddar
    • 1/4 cup grated onion
    • 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
    • 2 T grated parmesan
    • 10 oz bag of frozen spinach

Directions
    Preheat oven to 400. Spray 9 or 10 inch pan with cooking spray.
    In blender, mix cottage cheese, buttermilk and spices until smooth. Combine in a bowl with DRY macaroni, cheddar, spinach, and grated onion.
    Scrape into pan and top with breadcrumbs, parmesan and a few. Bake 45 minutes or until macaroni is fully cooked.
    Serve with green vegetables and/or salad.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'm hungry now.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  7. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

[​IMG]

OK: True story... I am a HUGE Macaroni & Cheese fan... specifically a KRAFT Macaroni and Cheese fan. However, I have my own special recipe... which IS, I said IS the best Macaroni & Cheese recipe. Now I'm not saying there are not some other wonderful variations out there. I too can greatly appreciate periodic additions of things like bread crumbs baked on top, or lobster pieces, and even occasionally some truffle... BUT, for basic everyday consumption, my recipe is the Lord British Certified Recipe, I hope you all try sometime.

Before I get to the recipe, I would like to share a bit about the depth of my love for Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. My passion for KM&C began long before college, but it became a staple there and has lasted to this day. Years ago, Kraft offered "The Cheesiest" T-Shirts to those that saved up about 20 box tops, and sent in something like $20. I thought "well, this is certainly the T-shirt for me", so I started saving box tops. After Some months, I had saved a few hundred, and thought "Now I will get a FEW T-shirts!" I sent in my money and box tops, but got a letter back, expressing that they were sorry, but the promotion had ended. Saddened, but not defeated, I decided to keep saving box tops until the promotion returned... It has never returned...

However, after years and years, a new promotion caught my eye. If you sent in something like 20 box tops and $20, they would print a CUSTOM box of macaroni with the picture of "your child" on it. By now, I had saved up LITERALLY THOUSANDS of box tops. So, I packed up THOUSANDS of box tops and a large check, for my hundreds of custom boxes of macaroni and cheese.

In a few days... a got a phone call from Kraft. They wanted to know who I was, and why I had been saving this vast amount of box tops etc. They were as excited as I was. They happily printed me cases of personalized Lord British "The Cheesiest" Kraft Macaroni & Cheese boxes. I gave them out as gifts to family and friends that year... A few may be in circulation as an extra rare collectible.

BTW... I still collect box tops... have hundreds if not thousands poked away in zip lock bags... still waiting for the T-shirt promotion to return.

Now... ON TO THE RECIPE!

First, ignore the instructions on the box. You will not need milk or butter... but you WILL require Kraft Cheese Whiz!

[​IMG]

Of course, begin by adding HOT water to a pot and putting it on to boil. Add some salt. The reason you started with HOT water, is so you can add the macaroni before it comes to a real boil. If your water is hot enough from the tap, the water and mac will come to a boil quickly, and you just saved an extra few minutes.

[​IMG]

Don't over cook the mac. Pour off (discard) the water with a pot side strainer, as imaged above, as soon as its just al dente. Pour off just what comes easily. the dampness that remains will both help make the powder mix well, but will also be absorbed by the mac soon enough.

Add the provided cheese powder.

[​IMG]

The MOST IMPORTANT STEP, is how much Cheese Whiz to add. Too little, and you can hardly taste it. Too much and your just eating lumpy Cheese Whiz. The right amount for 1 traditional box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is 1 well rounded dollop of Cheese Whiz. See illustration above. It is neigh but perfect.

[​IMG]

Now mix all together. Wait a minute and mix again, as it all absorbs. Then serve to yourself and your adoring fans, In this case, pictured above, Prince Ronin, who like his sister Princess Kinga, greatly enjoys this special recipe, and often request it. A request, I am always happy to oblige.

Of course, I keep the box top.

- Lord British

Lady Addy, Wilfred, Bow Vale and 25 others like this.
  8. necronut

necronut Avatar

My heart.

For the love of all that is good and pure in this world, someone get Lord British that shirt!

Lily Byrd, Elgarion, Merrik and 4 others like this.
  9. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

To: @Lord British
    Thank you M'Lord for posting a recipe for actual Mac N Cheese and not a mac n cheese casserole :D

10. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

I have searched the world over... and never seen them since... :(

11. Nick

Nick Avatar

Darn, I need a LB book pattern to have that published. Is there one in game?

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Echondas

Thank you very much @Lord British !! Great story and very awesome that you included the pictures along with the recipe. Can’t wait to try this (once we finish the casserole style one from Saturday).

I bet @Sannio could make a really fun quest out of this at some point maybe!

Time Lord, Merrik and Anpu like this.
  13. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Gordon Ramsay would be rolling his eyes right now.

[​IMG]

Kraft Macaroni and Cheese Whiz and you claim it “IS the best Macaroni & Cheese recipe“? Are you kidding me? Seriously?!

I’m so sorry to say this, but throwing a bunch of pasta out of a box and mixing it with plasticised yellow snot simply can not be claimed as a world best.

Lily Byrd, Gia2, AvatarGG and 3 others like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm making this tonight.

[edit] What size is that spoon? Tablespoon? Bigger?

Time Lord, Echondas and Anpu like this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Maybe throw in some weenies for full-on trailer trasherole.

Time Lord and Grumpy Krabnevir like this.
  16. Echondas

Looks like a heaping tablespoon to me.

Time Lord and Barugon like this.
  17. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings Lord British
    I feel your pain. Over the years there were some promotions that I wanted to get in on also and either did not have the money or was too late. I did a search for the shirt you mentioned but could not find one that said it was the one in the promotion. The only one that might have been the right one is this one. If you have a picture of the one in the promotion please post it.

[​IMG]

Time Lord and necronut like this.
  18. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

These recipes! I'm a huge fan of macaroni and cheese! Both the boxed and the real cheese with roux style. Saving them! Thank you.

19. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Truth: This has always been my go to recipe (cheese whiz) lol! I can say, this is the best recipe, and one I've always used! Canadian here, and Kraft dinner is ours lols! Yeah LB!

Time Lord likes this.
  20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well his recipe was asked for. It doesn't have to be yours or my personal recipe decision.

Time Lord, Gia2, Anpu and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.