Understanding OPEN PVP (Why?)

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by G Din, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Margard

Margard Avatar

Another point is that the game design issue/argument is all about semantics ... give me a game that lacks a PvE experience ... equates to design by lack of design ... it forces interaction because there is nothing else to do - hence no choice; that worked in OU days - I highly doubt it would work today.

Ned888 likes this.
  2. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Blaquerogue chasing robbie around! :) saying 'Die evil doer!!!!"

3. G Din

G Din Avatar

I just give you one example (you won't find on a consensual pvp server):

I mine north of brit. A pker approaches me and we start talking. I don't know when he might attack or try to kill me. We make a deal. He allows me to mine this cave and in return when he loots other players, I smelt their armor/weapons down into ingots , which i then give back to him so he can sell on his vendor.

Not only that, he would kill other miners and steal stuff (ore/tongs etc) and give them to me.

At the Forge in Britain , he would meet me there with his Blue (non-pk) player and give me the stuff to smelt. He even gives me 1/3 of the ingots to use for myself.

The guy he just looted comes to me at the forge. "Damn, just got mugged in the forest, i need a new set of armor, Gunga can you help me out" I say "Aye no problem, light archer , heavy archer set? What color ore? "

So you see. This type of scenario and circular economy wouldn't have existed in a Consensual Server.

Oh, this is true story of my days working the brit forge.

fizual likes this.
  4. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Someone says show the numbers and I get stay on topic.
    But yea your right, fighting over what side we are on will get us nowhere.

If it was me, I would have non consensual pvp with a strong criminal system.
    But I have yet to hear the non consensual crowd agree to any terms no matter how harsh he penalty is.
    My newest thought is if anyone pk's you then you will forever see them on the top map to either try to avoid them or gather your friends to fight them.

Skalex likes this.
  5. G Din

G Din Avatar

True Story: 1st week playing uo in 1998. I go east out of Britain and a tamer with a dragon just destroys !! one shot !!

I run back into town and plead for others to help me. I find one guy, noob like myself lol. We get all prepared !! "Lets kick some Ass " we yell..

So we go looking for the guy who just got me. My friend is further North on the screen and out of no where !! a dragon sweeps down and one shots him !! ( like the monster in monty python in that cave cartoon sequence). I Begin to laugh so hard , i just flee for my life and run back into town. (shaking lol) It was hilarious.

We talked afterwards and decided next time we might want to either get more help or wait till we were more developed in the game to take on people like that. We adapted over time, joining a large guild etc. Soon enough you learn how to survive.

6. Margard

Margard Avatar

Is that an incentive or a cool story?

I'm not debating that the PvP full loot UO community did not enjoy the game - or that it did not allow for a very specific (and for some peoples tastes very limited) game play; but if what you are after - and I'll throw myself in that lot - is to get folks to try it - I've only seen one genuine piece of suggested design to provide the incentive/option to partake in open PvP (the scenario revolved around a choke point)

7. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

My experience is that fighting other players is actually boring to a great extent. They tend to min/max which leads to flavor of the month builds and then who has the best twitch reflexes. No variety or purpose other than to kill you and take your stuff. That is not fun or exciting. Delving into a dungeon full of undead and demons not only gets me excited, it also makes me feel heroic. I like that I can kill a couple of skeletons at a time, I'm the hero! I avoid the traps and get the treasure after a long hard series of battles. I am rewarded for the risk I took. I will admit that content can run out, but a good development team should be inserting new missions and clues into a game on a very regular basis. It's part of the ongoing development of a world.

I don't get excited by getting paralyzed and corp por'd to death and I didn't have my stupid trapped bag ready to get unstuck (dumb work around mechanic anyway). That's just annoying. Further, there's no context to player attacks, they just do it and frequently you never ever find out why so there's no role playing opportunity. No reward for me, despite the risk I took by being subjected to the whims of someone with a better internet connection or better gear. Pft!

I find your source to be, well...biased and just plain wrong.

Akeashar and docdoom77 like this.
  8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I think the community needs to understand the difference between PK, and PKK, and that point it may come to an understanding, yes i got ganked when i first started in UO over and over! all i did was chop wood and gather skins, so i really didn't have anything good on me to start with, yes i was pissed, every time, one day i learned how to fight back i trained those skills over the resourcing skills, and then killed that pkr that was killing me all the time! No better feeling than killing the jerk that just "said YOU NOOB! YOU SUCK! LOL! etc.. after that he never talked * to me again! and i formed a PK Hunter guild found like minded people and we hunted the pkrs down! it was fun to see them running for once and a true feeling of accomplishment! plus we could go to a quest area that was camped by pks kill them off and continue on the quest, we did get alot more accomplished with that social set up!

* edited for language - Koldar

9. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

PvP is great, but as has been said hundreds of times:
    1) Karma systems don't work. The end up punishing the "innocents" instead of helping them.
    2) A two people fighting over a piece of wood will never be as interesting or meaningful as a castle siege.
    3) Harsh penalties for PvP are a terrible idea. People will opt into SPO or just leave the game.

Akeashar, Mattsy, docdoom77 and 3 others like this.
  10. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I posted somewhere that if we could put resist or defense skill points opposite of offensive skill points then flavor of the month goes away.

11. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Harsh penalties for non consensual pvp - NOT consensual pvp

12. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Harsh penalties don't dissuade those only interesting in trolling/griefing while punishing those who just want to PvP.

The only real solution is not to force non-consensual PvP.

docdoom77 and Phredicon like this.
  13. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Wow, it sounds like 2 of the 3 of you had a good time anyway. It's a shame that you had to victimize that poor miner, but screw him right? It's the way the world works, even if he quits out of frustration next week.

14. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

My motto would be you dish out grief you get grief.

15. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Sorry, you completely misunderstood me. Harsh penalties for dying get people leaving PvP.
    Punishment for killing people is a karma system. Which was already dismissed at terrible and unworkable in point one.

Akeashar and Ned888 like this.
  16. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Then I would say there are still many who like the karma system.
    Why not have all kinds of PVP?
    I like the fight of good and evil myself.

apoc01 likes this.
  17. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Your motto doesn't often come into play then does it?

18. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

In UO it did plenty.
    I was getting PKed all the time.
    But I was part of a guild and many times over our guild chased the pk's out of their favorite killings spots.

apoc01 and blaquerogue like this.
  19. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

Removing or severely restricting non-consensual player combat reduces player interactions and game play possibilities on both sides.

Skalex and apoc01 like this.
  20. Sir Edward

Sir Edward Avatar

The open PVP give more adrenaline to the game play. If you walk away and know that you have any chance to loose your item and enter in a PVP any time, its like be in the alice woonderland.

"Give the freedom of choice to the people and see their true identities."

apoc01 and blaquerogue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.