Playing the ol' Sierra card!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by licemeat, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Yep! Loved it!

Have you checked out the "Blackwell" series of games? They (Dave Gilbert - I wonder if related to Ron Gilbert?) developed a custom engine for it and the games get progressively fancier / more polished and refined as the series progresses, as the engine evolved also.

Blackwell Legacy is the first one, which I highly recommend.. (run the ''winsetup" utility from the install directory after installing if you want to run windowed / change resolutions / etc.

I've beaten all of them now, and am on to the other games from them using the same engine .. I recommend starting with The Blackwell Legacy and if you love it - buy the bundle (with a discount for already owning Legacy, and play them in the order listed on the store page)

2. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I just finished the Blackwell series, and while the first two were brief, the remaining games were well fleshed out and had a good conclusion wrap up. Wadjet Eye and Telltale Games both make some excellent adventure games, imo. Been going back through GoG.com for a lot of my old games to replay and complete :p

3. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Me too! I've just recently finished the first two Alone in the Dark games and Beneath a Steel Sky (finally!) and I've just started playing around with Starflight. :D

I had to abandon Another World (a.k.a Out of This World in the US), I love it for its really wonderful art style, it was super slick and cinematic back in the day but the gameplay got too frustrating for me in the end.

HoustonDragon and Time Lord like this.
  4. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Also, for those that have Netflix, there's a new videogame documentary called "High Score" that has several game developers on it, including Ken and Roberta Williams and Richard Garriott in the 3rd episode.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81019087

Cordelayne, Astirian and Sulaene Moon like this.
  5. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I've been watching this one this week! So surreal when they showed up! Such a well produced show. I've got Doom coming up in the next episode. :)

HoustonDragon and Cordelayne like this.
  6. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

For you Hero's Quest / Quest for Glory fans -- this is a pretty solid game based on the same style with a twist.

It was a little rough for me to start out but once I got going, I'm liking it more and more. My biggest pet-peeve is finding it hard to pick up my throwing daggers sometimes, since they sometimes land in places you can't see or click to retrieve them:

http://crystalshard.net/?g=16

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.