Loot, where is it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Katu, Aug 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I had the same experience with some friends (13 of them from Thailand).
    Other games which are very different, yet within the same style (sort of), win when it came to their personal gaming dollar (Thai-Baht).

[​IMG]

"Niche Game Getting Nichier" ;) which can also be called "Unique" (when I'm being nice with my comments) and, "I'm still here also" :D~Time Lord~

(They were however attracted by our housing. This one in particular. Our ~Shroud of the Doll House~ is still a very attractive gaming feature!)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Cordelayne, majoria70 and Katu like this.
  2. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I hadn't realized that the Ruined Keep was yet another scene that has been removed from my possible places to go. I wish the low tier areas weren't disappearing to the extent that they are. I would much rather that new high tier scenes were added - even clones with merely a higher level - and the old scenes were still available at the same old level for less advanced fighters. I expect that Kingsroad and North and South Valeway are still places I can survive in, but with my luck they are now tier 8 zones. :eek:

Having said that, I completely empathize with good players who aren't getting satisfactorily rewarded for their skill in killing the most difficult mobs. I understand their frustration and lack of motivation if they are getting the same loot as in low tier areas. It doesn't make sense to me. The rewards need to be greater for those players to keep them interested.

Cordelayne, Luno, Katu and 1 other person like this.
  3. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

We need scalable loot. We need all the crap taken out of the higher tier creature, the rusty item needs to go after t8. Why would an intelligent mage/warrior/ranger or any high level creature carry anything rusty on them or even put that in a Chest they are guarding. Leave that in the lower levels.

If you want those item for your decoration or quest that are coming, go to the low level area and collect them there.

Rethink why a creature would carry or have an item on them. Introduce lore based loot. Scale up the loot, a t8+ skeleton should not dropping the same thing as a t5- skeleton.

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Adventure Scaling Loot" o_O...

I agree @Kara Brae , I can't count how many times I ventured back to UO's Moonglow just to hunt it for it's value in historic nostalgia. A comforting and an entertained feeling is what immersion is all about. Many times, it's those feelings alone that keep us returning.

I also would like to see 1Exp gained, even if the creature is green to us, as not all players are look forward to our SOTA's "mandatory migration policy" forcing us into ever higher content. Whether it's a rabbit, dragon or ittsy bitsy spider, 1 exp gain from it isn't going to harm anyone else's enjoyable play time.

Slower character development shouldn't be frowned upon. It should be rewarding to it's measure, "yet still measure to be something".
    I clearly remember Lord British stating in the earliest of development days, how town's people or those hunting in low level areas would have the ability to hunt in low level areas as long as they wish, "yet the gains would be the bare minimum in skill building to them in such areas". That's not a direct quote, yet I do remember the sentiment stated many times as far back as SOTA's Kickstarter.

He did not say in the early times that low level content would ever reach "zero gains".
    It was always the expressed intent for such to be "progressively slower gains".

Taking a tip from @AzazelReborn , I think it should be possible to not only place low level loot into it's more proper area, I think our game should be able to "scale loot in green hunting areas" to one's adventure level, yet never to zero. A high level player should come out of such a low level area with a "greater number of rusty spoons more than any gold and far less craft'able commodities" depending on their crafting level "within 1-4 skull level areas".

[​IMG]

@Chris , Individual Adventure level scaling?
    It should be a looting and exp scaled thing?
    ~Time Lord~:cool:

5. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

Many good ideas so far. RPG-players are a creative bunch of people. *grats*

But in my opinion they have bigger matters. They fight with Unity, the existing database-concept and GUI-issues. That's the flaw in their system. And as long as they are not able to fix this mess we won't go forward in this game. Sorry to say that.

Grumpy Krabnevir likes this.
  6. Luno

Luno Avatar

I think you are right about the problems they face, but if they want people to stay they have to add new content, and this content must give some sort of achievement/satisfaction, just the opposite of what they did with Spindelskog
    Not to mention that when they add a new spell it's rarely working and it needs patches/weeks to fix, and they don't give a detailed explanation

7. Luno

Luno Avatar

Almost all of my friends quit too, tired of doing the same zones over and over

Cordelayne and Chatele like this.
  8. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

Absolutely. *agrees*

That's why I think they have a big bunch of other problems, not enough staff-members and stand kneedeep in troubles.
    The funny thing is - well .. to be honest it makes me cry - the community is strong, interested, thankful and patient. There should be many who know Unity as well. Surely some would help improve the codebase gladly. And some could make nice new mobs in Blender. I can't see the same mobs (wolf, skeleton, lich, scorpion, goblin, elf) anymore - it is no biggie to paint new ones, rig them and get them attacking some players.

Cordelayne and Luno like this.
  9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That happened a long time ago, around the same time as Ulfheim and Deep Ravenswood.
    And the outcry after is why they began doing just that, for the most part. Though, my hope is that eventually, they'll use the scaling scene tech to introduce higher level versions of current low level areas., leaving the original version as the "Easy" mode.

Anpu and Luno like this.
  10. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

That explains it. My home is right near Ulfheim and I used to go there a lot. I stopped playing when it got too hard, and didn't keep up on all the changes. I always used the map at https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/ and that still lists the Ruined Keep as tier 3. I suppose they abandoned the map and didn't keep it up-to-date?

I was just getting nostalgic looking at the map. I used to know my way around Novia and the Hidden Vale like the back of my hand. What great times I used to have!

Cordelayne and Time Lord like this.
  11. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

My wife and daughter both quit. My daughter even has a crafting trainer named after her in Estgard. If Catnip is looking to build the most niche game, they hit the nail on the head. As for players enjoying it and sticking around to play it? Not so much.

Cordelayne likes this.
  12. lordbane

lordbane Avatar

Yep. Whether it is intentional or not, they are railroading newbies into the choice of:

a) hoping they get into a decent guild (who can give them stuff)*
    b) being low wage labour for rich, established players by farming ore/wood/skins, etc
    c) opening their wallets to buy and then sell COTOs

*This makes a lot of people, including people like me, feel guilty or like leeches. I prefer to earn my own stuff in games.

No wonder they don't stick around.

Katu and Violet Ronso like this.
  13. devilronin

devilronin Avatar

no one makes interesting videos(free advertising), they stream, and then chop that recording down or leave it, then toss it on youtube, it shows method but not the fun you can have... and some wait an unnecessary amount of time to loot... so its not catnip trying to do anything but continually update.(yes yes, catnip should be doing ads, but interesting videos from players is proof the game is fun, i have some ideas as well)

14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Who is this "Catnip"?

15. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Catnip Games, owned by Chris Spears, acquired SotA from Portalarium.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.