Shooting Star: High Damage? (updated Post patch 1278)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Oremanger, Aug 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oremanger

Oremanger Avatar

It is nice to have a single target skill in the Sun tree. I trained the skill to 132
    The tool pick says that the skill has fast cast time, high damage, high focus cost and long cool down.
    Fast cast time: sure does it is an instant, hits target before animation ends :)
    High focus cost: Yes the cost (44 focus) is higher then the other magic trees single target spells at comparable skill levels.
    Long cooldown time: Yes at 15 sec which is higher then the other single target spells.
    High damage: a big NO

I did a round of ERG to see how it will perform, no fency test, just went there and played the way I always do. The goal was to see how it will compare damage wise to Searing Ray.

Sun att is 128 and Moon is at 125 not specialied in any one of them.
    Searing Ray is at 140 and Shooting Star is at 132
    From the tool pick Searing Ray damage is 68-204 and Shooting Star 93-166

The round of ERG: Seering ray Average damage 164, Shooting Star average damage 45

Maybe Chris is still tweeking with it ;)

Anyone out there tested Shooting Star yet? Is it worth all the XP spent?
    My two cents, thank you for reading.

UPDATE ( @Chris )
    Took Shooting Star to 140, that made Moon att 126 and focus cost 44. Toolpick gave 100-178 damage. No change to the sun tree.
    Did cast 300 times for each, single gliph, on a dummy.

Shooting Star Max Hit: 350, Avg Dmg: 185, Crit %: 34, DPS: 27
    Searing Ray Max Hit: 342 , Avg Dmg: 179, Crit %: 30, DPS: 27

Pretty close, is this what you are considering HIGH damage Chris. If this is what you had in mind, between the two I would choose Searing Ray everyday, more damage for undead and more damage overall during the day time. Shooting Star should have something special for me to use it. That only me.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Time Lord, Violet Ronso and FrostII like this.
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Doesn't searing ray do more damage to undead (so, everything at ERG) though? Not disputing other things, but it might be that your average hit with searing ray would be closer to your average shooting star if that weren't the case.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  3. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Yah, I suspect this might have been due to undead but I'll look into it. I set all my skills to 100 for testing and did a dps test but that doesn't always match player reality due to gear and creature type.

4. Oremanger

Oremanger Avatar

Thank you @Chris, I will try it on a dummy :D

FrostII likes this.
  5. devilronin

devilronin Avatar

what about the 'premature' firing animation, was expecting a variation of shower... but it looks more like a super earth arrow(but with more damage), i hope/wish it was a moon styled searing with a projectile(not instant like SR, but like a shooting star with a trail, blue, conjure and thrown from above you)

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, it woulda been cool if it came raining down from above instead of an "arrow" type spell.

7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

One thing is for sure, 2 huge factors come in to play when comparing Searing Ray and Shooting Star :

1. Searing Ray deals additional damage against undeads.
    2. Searing Ray deals additional damage during the day.

Now obviously if Shooting Star only did 45 average damage per hit, there might be an issue there, cause that is super low.

Cordelayne and FrostII like this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

A good point, @Violet Ronso .
    Moon skills all take into account whether or not the moon is "up", so that will should have an effect on damage as well.

Cordelayne likes this.
  9. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

Undead has some moon resistance. Lich has high moon resistance and Lich mage immune to moon magic. We should expect low shooting star damage on undead.

10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

We need to know the gear you were wearing too, sun has ankhs of wala while moon does not have a good weapon to compare it. Then the undead factor. I would also like to point out star is not a 4x skill, its a 1x. I heard many people saying it was 4x when i logged on but I tried it myself and was 1.2 mil to gm it and just over 50 mil to get it to 140, so its def 1x. Should run your tests gearless and vs a training dummy to get accurate testing results.

11. Oremanger

Oremanger Avatar

Mac, I did not have any Moon or Sun gear on and I did test on a dummy also (see edits).
    Cheers

Mac2 likes this.
  12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I'll quote the update to put emphasis on it. Agreed that if it those are the numbers, both are pretty similar now. Do you know if it was day time or night time when you were casting? Might be a good idea to add an other test to be Searing Ray during Day and Shooting Star during the night to see them at their highest potential each?

13. Oremanger

Oremanger Avatar

Night time.

14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

OK kewl kewl, looks like the damage is pretty similar. Searing ray is high damage itself, if you look on a new toon without any skills unlocked yet, searing ray was the most damage. Another big factor that you are leaving out is the range. Shooting star being another range of 30 skill is pretty awesome.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  15. Oremanger

Oremanger Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.