1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

1st Player Created Quests Concept

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Jakkal, Jun 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Had an idea for creating the initial player created quest system.

Since we now have books of learning in the game, relatively small amounts of xp can now be sold. We can build on this to create the first player quest system. Basically we model it after the current Player Vendor "Buy Order" system and make it so it can be linked to Conversationalists but with one key difference from a Buy Order, the payout includes both gold and a book of learning.

The books of learning really simplify things because devs don't have to determine what a player quest xp reward should be worth. It's totally up to the player what book of learning they link to the quest. Can a player link a rare book of learning to a quest to gather 5 granite? yes, but its not breaking anything within the game since that player, in the current system, could literally give that rare book of learning away for nothing if they chose too.

The Inky quest conversation is linked to the quest setup so the conversation only appears if the quest is still active. ie it hasn't already been fulfilled by other players.

Their are some limits. A player may see the quest conversation, go off to collect whatever needs to be collected to fulfill the quest and return to the conversationalist to find that the quest has either been fulfilled by someone else or cancelled by the player who created it, but that's a relatively minor issue, and in some ways adds realism. The conversationalist could potentially change the quest text to a fulfilled response when that occurs.

Example quest setup: I'd go to one of my conversationalists to create the quest and create the modified buy order by selecting the item and quantity for the order, enter the gold reward, and then select 1 book of learning type, the number of times the quest is repeated and the keyword that triggers the quest reward on the conversationalist. I must have enough gold and the books of learning in my inventory to fulfill the quest for the selected # of repeats, which are removed from my inventory when the quest order is saved. I'd also use inky to set up the description of the quest on the conversationalist just like setting up any other conversation but I'd somehow tag the quest keywords within the text.

So lets say I set up a quest for 1 Red Dragon Head.
    Inky Conversation: "A red dragon has been attacking farms in the town area. We need a brave warrior to eliminate this threat. Bring me a RED DRAGON HEAD to prove you've killed the beast and you shall be rewarded."
    Quest Setup:
    Item: Red Dragon Head
    Quantity: 1
    Key word link: RED DRAGON HEAD
    Gold Payout: 40,000
    Book of Learning: Rare (selected from drop down list of available books in player inventory)
    Repeat: x10

Since I have 10 repeats, 400,000 gold and 10 rare books of learning are removed from my inventory.

Edit: 1 additional piece. It'd be good if their was a way to increase the # of repeats available for an existing quest without having to cancel and re-create the quest. The player would have to have the necessary books and gold to extend the quest for the number of repetitions, and those items would be removed from inventory when the extended repetition was saved.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Elrond, Time Lord, Sole and 7 others like this.
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Huh. It never occurred to me to use the XP books as quest rewards. Clever.

Time Lord, Sole, Elgarion and 3 others like this.
  3. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Yup that's the key to the whole thing. Without those xp books the devs would have likely taken a ton of time to figure out what the xp reward should be for various quest types, or trivialized the reward to make sure it wasn't easily exploitable. This leaves it totally up to the player without needing the devs to get involved in what each quest is worth. Later on, we'll likely want the devs to create other types of quests but this gets us started. Since their are a ton of Buy Order items, we can create a large variety of quests.

Maybe step 2 is allowing us to create items that aren't on the buy order list, like a book we published that exists somewhere in one of our dungeons or a gear item crafted by the quest creator.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Time Lord, Elgarion and Sulaene Moon like this.
  4. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

One added feature, the quest should list what the reward is. It'd be unfair to the questing player if they turned in an item and the quest creator payed out 1 gold and a common book of learning. Simply stating the gold and xp reward before turning in the item should mitigate that from happening.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    Time Lord and Elgarion like this.
  5. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

They could also add a PVP flag to the player created quest, where the item turned in must be collected in pvp mode. Gathered items would have to have a pvp flag added to track if they were gathered in pvp along with giving the player the option to combine stacks of pvp items with non-pvp flagged items which will automatically remove the pvp flag.

Time Lord and Elgarion like this.
  6. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

The xp value of the book of learning should be given as xp for the quest reward, not in its book form. So the creator of the quest donates the book, but the player doing the quest gets the xp value of that book, not the book itself.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

One additional piece based on a suggestion by Fzol is to expand the list of items to include crafted items. For example an order for Carapacian Cloth.

These specific types of player created quests for crafted items could optionally pay out the full xp reward as crafting xp but that is something that could be exploited by players turning in their own quests to turn adventuring xp into crafting xp so should be evaluated further before implementation.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Time Lord likes this.
  8. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Looking into the distant future this quest system can be the basis for more interesting quest ideas by simply expanding beyond the items on the Buy Order list that would be used for the initial roll-out of the system. Not asking for these additions now, but it gives some insight into what it can eventually become.

Named item quests. Quests could be created to recover a particular named item (book, bag, etc). The quest creator can then place these items on their lots or within their dungeons. This would interact nicely with player created dungeons since it would direct players to adventure into those dungeons to obtain the quest item and reward. Ex. The quest creator places a book in their dungeon and creates a quest on their conversationalist "The town archivist seeks the book of Mazrok and the Mallard that was supposedly lost somewhere deep in the caves below the town. Return it and you shall be rewarded".

Crafted item/gear quests for items with a crafters mark. Since many items in the game track who they were crafted by, the quest creator in addition to designating what the item is, would also optionally designate who it was crafted by. Then they place the item as a loot somewhere in one of their dungeons or on one of their lots for the questor to retrieve. Ex. "Find Elgarion's bow in the dungeon of xyz" which Elgarion has placed as a quest only pickup somewhere within his xyz dungeon. Hopefully we can name our dungeons by then.

Fishing quests. The quest creator can set a particular fish to catch and also select the scene where a fish has to be caught and potentially a start date (we don't want old rotting fish turned in). Since many fish already have their location identified it'd be easy to verify the fish catch location matches the quest order before paying out the reward. Could be great for fishing tournaments "The first player to turn in the quest for a Swordfish caught in xyz town this week gets 100,000 gold and a rare book of learning".

Time Lord and majoria70 like this.
  9. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Anyone heard with all the talk about convo NPC's weather Chris etc has spoken about any further development recently?

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Not any specifics that I recall. The last mention was maybe a month or so ago when he responded to a stream question and talked about the possibility of adding the mannequin outfit system to conversationalists.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Probably time to request this on stream again.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. devilronin

devilronin Avatar

so player run adventure guilds? would be good if it was world wide(npc receptionist at one of the many vacant stalls/houses in towns)

13. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Player created quests could be part of an adventure guild creating storylines throughout the game. If done well Atos mentioned at one point that player created quests could become integrated into the game permanently.

majoria70 likes this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

At least we would get more quests. If quests are targeted player quests many who shy away from social interaction won't do them but if players create them and that tag is removed it could be so useful to get more content in the game free. We would need the tools to do it. Quests accepted could give a small reward.

Also to note where the heck is our rating system? Clicking on player homes, player dungeons etc should have a drop down menu to give ratings. Top rated dungeons and homes should be listed on a menu as in eq2. Top rated dungeons would have content and quests associated with it and auto teleport to do the content and dungeons.

Goal would be that players are rewarded for effort and give use to the systems. All part of making a better game instead of systems not providing players with goals, incentives, and rewards.

@Elgarion

15. devilronin

devilronin Avatar

so kill/gather/build x, get reward at heirloom tier(newbie), encounter npc grade(adventurer/avatar), 5-10 tier(advanced solo/group specific)

16. devilronin

devilronin Avatar

neverwinter(cryptic) style i assume?

17. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I think player created quests need rewards that cant currently be found ingame ..otherwise its just another buy order system...give me materials ill pay you gold give me heads ill pay gold and xp.... looks alot like placing buy orders to me .

One way to add such items would be a store for quest rewards only ... quest creators could buy these with a currency ( something that drops as loot ...tokens... ) .. when they have enough tokens they can buy the quest reward from store and add it as a reward from completing a quest ..only after the quest is completed the item reward is usable .

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Sorry I don't get what you're saying and I hate heirloom stuff.

19. devilronin

devilronin Avatar

i meant quest reward tier, 250g 16kxp, 500 25.6k, and whatever that daily at spindle thats i think 50k~xp and some bigger gold amount, as i listed them it would t1, t2, t3 rewards, though changing the ranking to any isekai(another world) manga's guild rank E-S(or even SSS), or whatever fits lorewise with sota

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  20. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

It is like placing buy orders. It's meant too for its simplicity. Probably 95% of the quests in game only give xp and gold. Player created quests don't need to be any different. This system is just the first step that works off existing content that just requires some links between existing systems. Adding a whole new set of rewards would take weeks and possibly months. The system I designed doesn't require a ton of work adding new tokens and rewards that would likely end up just being exploited by players to get more stuff for themselves and not be used for their intended purpose. To not be exploitable the quest reward must be 100% of the cost of creating the quest. You pay 100% of the reward so it is very much a buy order, but with player created story-line.

The Quest Orders (copy of Buy Order items) are an initial base to work from that gives plenty of opportunity for quest story-lines. After this system is established it doesn't take a lot to add things to the list of Quest Order items. For example crafted items and possibly items crafted by a particular player. fish caught in a particular town, etc. Once we have this piece, we can begin to implement ways that use the quests to drive players to our towns and dungeons. Eventually we can expand this through other methods to add rewards that have been crafted or donated by players. We don't need new store quest reward items.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.