Catnip Weekly Fishing Tournament

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Rook Strife, Sep 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Feedback for weekly fishing tournaments

New participating Pots added to END of list
    It takes time to set up crossovers. Not knowing if the tournament is in your town until the Friday forum post limits what people can do or plan ahead for. Should be able to go through that list and know the exact date your pot has the tournament.

Participation requirement for pots
    If ppl want to enter their pot, there should be some mandatory effort or contribution required
    Would rather see a smaller list of towns who actively participate in the event than some place who's name just got thrown on a list

Forced entry on the leaderboard for fish
    Being able to open the the leaderboard and see the current leader is immensely more entertaining
    There should be a box to click - By entering the catnip weekly your top fishing catches will be displayed this week
    A separate tab for the tournament would be good as well

Old Portalarium Format
    The 45 minute Friday fishing contest with livestream was a far better format
    Far more entertaining, drew fair size crowds, brought in players of all types, was a fun social event people could look forward to each Friday
    Less issue of people botting / exploiting

Overall Professionalism
    This tournament has the Catnip name on it
    For 18 weeks you have been awarding broken trophies, holding lava contests in broken zones
    Forum posts and announcements are inconsistently timed, rewards mailed out late, etc

lol!

This looks very bad on the company brand

Lava Fishing zones should be fixed or removed from the list until they are ready
    All the contest stuff should be done in a professional manner

If there are already plans to alter the tournament in the upcoming week, I would recommend posting it somewhere so ppl can offer input

Aldo, Net and Ravenscar like this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

3. Engel

Engel Avatar

Hello Rook i respect what you think but my preference is close the leaderboard for all contestants
    Do what you can ! The challenge is better if you dont know . ( We have a great imagination. )
    Elgarion do a great job ! So many trophy and fish to send each week

My apologies if i think differently

Tailz, Net and Nubby like this.
  4. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

If you prefer not to see leaders, just don't open the leaderboard

It is fun to see how the tournament is progressing, what is the top fish you need to beat, what friends have caught, how your fish fares, etc

You can also decide how to spend your time better.

If the top fish is small, you might want to spend more time fishing.

If it is large, maybe you want to do something else or fish a different water type.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Net and FrostII like this.
  5. Net

Net Avatar

I think that Elgarion does a great job with the limited time and resources he has available. He is the best community manager we had so far and he does not have it easy.

It would be nice to see active POTs only, I think that new POTs should be added with some kind of delay, and I see no problem if they request specific spot for a cross-over event with another POT, no need to go at the end of the list ,though it makes sense as a default thing to do.

I like transparency in any kind of contest and leader-board is great for that, though it would be best to have separate leader-board for the contestants and just for the contest. There could be separate leader-boards for other Catnip-run events.

I think that recurring Catnip events could be easily automated, Catnip can track the data and just send prizes accordingly. Would save Elgarion and players a lot of time mailing items and looking for them in the inventory.

I prefer the weekly format as it is more fair to everyone, 45-minutes is not optimal for people spread all around the world. I would not mind it, if for special events there was special tournament that is 60 minutes long.

Fixing scenes and in-game items (trophies) is always a nice thing.

It bugs me that there are 6 types of trophies but each week are awarded only 4 types (and once there was a fifth type). Would be nice to see NPC towns and PvE scenes be part of the contest as well, there are some nice fishing locations.

Belladonna Rose and FrostII like this.
  6. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

One more thing about the leaderboards

Is there no way to have a simplified version for the fishing tournament so it displays current data?

All it needs is fish caught in the tournament zones.

That would be a huge improvement for both fishers and ppl doing contests

Net, Ravenscar and Aldo like this.
  7. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

If someone wants theirs added to the end instead of the next week, that's certainly up to them to ask for it. :) Most prefer to get in sooner than later. Or... they could simply add their name later when they're ready.

The 4th is a misc award I send out. So far it's been a consolation prize. The 5th as of last week I've decided to give out to any community angler who's running their event. They just state how many participants they had, the name on the trophy they'd prefer, and I'll send them that many trophies. The 6th is still in reserve for something in the future. ;)

Good input, thanks guys. :) I'll be hopefully getting the new rules for the weekly contest drafted up this week to publish on Friday at noon CT.

Lained, Belladonna Rose and Net like this.
  8. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Missing the point

The way it's set up now:

Wake up on Friday

Wait for a forum post that can appear at any time

"Oh the fishing tournament is starting in my pot in a couple hours"

What kind of crossover is someone going to make with that?

Half the people are probably at work

9. Elgarion

From the roster, people can easily see who's coming up next (next 3 towns, current 3 are highlighted). Also, no reason someone's crossover event needs to last the entire week either. The forum post occurs roughly at noon CT when I post the update as I push out all the related spam for the update to include the new contest. The main prizes go out on Friday after the Friday stream. The participation trophies go out on Monday (unless I'm having issues with my GM client). AND the reason it lasts all week is so everyone has ample time not to be at work to participate. I'm always happy to get someone's crossover event published even if they aren't proactive and let me know ahead of time, though many do contact me before hand in PMs to set one up or ask questions. Just a matter of being proactive and knowing when you're coming up on the list, which is quite visible and available to all in the roster at the beginning of the thread.

FrostII, Nubby and Net like this.
  10. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

The most important thing is

When the towns are posted on Friday

The next 3 towns on the list should not be changed

Any new insertions should be added after those 3

Then there are far less issues because people are always guaranteed a week to prepare which is fine

Net likes this.
  11. Elgarion

Sure, sounds good. I'll add new additions to be featured in the contest after the next as indicated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.