Camera position control

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FrostII, Sep 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Is there a way to control the camera position without using the mouse ?
    I'm gettin' carpel tunnel here..........

Dollar Bill likes this.
  2. Toular

Toular Avatar

By default, "v" cycles through "first-person", "over the shoulder" and "trailing".

"Page Up" moves the camera to as close as possible, "Page Down" backs it as far away as possible.

And "[" rotates to the left and "]" to the right.

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Thank you, @Toular but........

None of that gives me the ability to put my camera as directly over my head as possible.

When I'm under attack, I always want to see everything around me as much as possible.

4. Dollar Bill

Dollar Bill Avatar

+1

5. Gyzarus

Gyzarus Avatar

Options>>control>>key binding 10th box set a key at "Toggle Cursor" to switch between 2 modes

6. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

I am not sure this is what you are looking for, but as far as i know , this is the best way to accomplish an overhead looking-down view that shows you the most area around your avatar (I added setting details for newer players):

1) Put the camera in the from-behind center view (i.e. not the over-shoulder or first person views.) - the default key to change this setting is the v key.
    2) Options > Video > field of view slider -- slide this all the way to the right.
    3) Zoom the camera out as far as possible (you can assign the camera zoom-in and zoom-out functions to any keyboard key or mouse button/wheel in the options > control menu).

If there is no roof above you, then you can zoom out relatively far and look down on your character with a wide field of view around you. Using this view may reduce the need for major camera-angle changes during combat. It seems to help my wrists a bit.

Addendum: re Lazarus Long's post below: I have no problem targeting other creatures or players using the top-down view.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Anpu likes this.
  7. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Unfortunately I think what your looking to accomplish is not available.
    Also .. Targeting is tied to your camera. So even if you were able to see from above like that, that would be all you could do.

For example try turning your avatar approx. 1/4 turn of the camera in any direction while in combat and watch your avatar get Clobbered.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I always want to pull the camera back as far as I can but then trees and bushes and such block my view. I've complained about this many times (and ignored each time). Other games solve this in a variety of ways but not SotA. I guess that would just be too advanced.

9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Rinaldi
    Thank you for taking the time to write that up.

Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the issue of having to use the mouse to get overhead.

Zooming out is easy with PageDown, but the camera still must be positioned "overhead" by using the dang mouse (in any camera V setting).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.