1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Please Greatly Reduce Crafting Times

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Wilfred, Sep 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Please reduce the crafting time for Ingots, Leather, and all other refined materials to 0.10 second (one tenth of a second) each.

Please reduce the crafting time for everything else to 1 or 2 seconds each.

The recent preview for another game proved that allowing players to refine and craft quickly works just fine and is not game breaking.

This would be a huge quality of life upgrade for SotA, since the current system encourages players to watch Netflix or YouTube while they wait for batch processing to complete on Ingots, Leather, etc.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think the harvesting time should be reduced. In ESO, harvesting anything takes only two seconds. That's enough of a punishment.

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Why play the game when you can just let it progress on its own while you watch something else right? BDO gives long craft/processing times, but allows through the use of gear and food to reduce the progress bar to 1 seconds, as long as you are ready to invest in the required stuff for it.

I think a solution would be to grant crafting gear through crafting quests, processing gear through processing quests and gathering from gathering, and these could give benefits ranging from faster craft time to higher exceptional/meticulous, this would allow for those ready to invest to actually get benefits for their investments

4. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I would much prefer that such time reductions were a function of gear or skills than an arbitrary reduction.

I'll grant that the long cooking times often sees me doing other things while I just casually check on the game crafting, and would prefer something either more engaging (with greater potential rewards) or automated (with greater potential risks), possibly options for either.

Too much instant gratification in most games as it is for any rewards to be meaningful, and the economy would be hurt by just making things easier to harvest/refine/produce, so I would prefer a more comprehensive solution, if a problem exists, than just a time reduction which would not necessarily make crafting any more meaningful/enjoyable.

5. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo Avatar

Totally agree, @Chris please Look into decreasing the times it takes to craft.

2 days in a row I have logged on created 50 maple boards, instead of watching the process bar and getting mesmerised, I go do something around the house, by the time I get back to my seat I have timed out and don’t bother logging back in just to make another 50.
    something needs to happen to improve the speed it takes to make general items.

example:
    To make wooden boards,
    first we need to get the wood, Don’t get me started how annoying it is trying to get 100 wood let alone thousands.
    then we craft it into timber,
    then we need to craft it to boards.
    in the meantime I’ve had breakfast, lunch, half a dozen coffees and a dozen Scooby snacks

6. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Making crafting easier would actually help the game economy.
    Right now there are only a few crafters who are willing to endure the pain of crafting in SotA.
    Making crafting easier would encourage more players to get into crafting, so there would be a broader range of crafted items on the market.

AzazelReborn likes this.
  7. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

The question is:
    Should the developers encourage a monopoly for a few elite crafters?
    Or should they make the game fun for all crafters?

If crafting is designed to be so punishing that only the most dedicated crafters can survive,
    then most of the other crafters will leave and go play some other game.

Cyin, AzazelReborn and Scooby Doo like this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I agree with reducing the bar time for crafting and harvesting. I did play eso a little and many other games that don't make you watch lengthy timer bars to get your harvestables and craftables. Who thought this was fun? There's so many other things that could make needing skill important. Such as yield, quality, special resources, effects, and on and on.

Wilfred likes this.
  9. devilronin

devilronin Avatar

this one aspect is done best by GW2, once your batch exceeds i think 5-10, it speeds up to near ludicrous. on the other hand they could just straight multiply the swift craft 4x-10x its current values.(cap at 90-99%?)

Anpu, Echondas and Wilfred like this.
  10. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Players (myself included) been requesting faster craft times for a long time now..i think its an issue of manpower, priorities..what to do first ... and rushing Chris..were just gonna end up with more hand outs... 1 sec craft time for everyone..id rather see this stuff implemented through skills or gear ...

Sorgin Txakal likes this.
  11. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Players shouldn't have to get gear to escape the slow crafting pain.

The speed up skills in the crafting trees should still help,
    but the base speed for beginning crafters needs to be greatly increased.

One second is not nearly a fast enough starting speed for refining materials.
    Refining materials like Ingots, Leather, Timber, Boards, etc. should start at
    0.50 second or less, and speed up to 0.10 second at level 80 in "Swift Refine Materials".

Cordelayne likes this.
  12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Why not? Adventurers need gear to escape death, why can't crafters actually get crafters clothes to give them these benefits? You don't see blacksmiths making a new sword while wearing a full plate armor, he wears protective equipment, a toolbelt possibly, so hard boots. Why couldn't we add these into the game and have them give bonuses instead of just making the crafting timer instant for everyone. Want to get into crafting, go ahead, but if you want to be the best/most efficient ever, well you are going to work on your tools and equipment to make sure you have the best for your craft, makes sense, solves many problems while generating a possible reward. Lets try to think of ways to fix problems, not by directly killing the problem, but finding a rewarding way to get around the problem.

Atticus Gryphonheart likes this.
  13. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Because players should not need gear to fix the bad crafting system design.

Right now, the base speed for creating refined materials like Ingots and Leather is mind numbingly slow.
    The simple fix that is needed first is to greatly increase the base speed of crafting.

I can see allowing gear to add additional speed once the base speed has been fixed,
    But first all crafting needs to be greatly sped up.

And gear buffs could be better used to improve the quality of crafted items.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

We have the swift gathering and swift refine skills but they don't make much of a difference. It needs to be reworked so that these skills are meaningful.

Wilfred, Anpu and Scooby Doo like this.
  15. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

I think making the quickness skills be more effective for ALL gathering, processing and crafting would be really helpful.

The random quick harvest just doesn't feel as rewarding as reliably getting the job done faster. (Of course, both wouldn't hurt.)

As it is those skills a pretty useless because they don't provide enough time bonus to getting things done, and cost to much XP to invest in.

They should also be made cheaper as of XP (and players should have their skill levels "adjusted" based on the XP they invested when the change occurs, as not to screw them on XP.)

I think all the "Quick" skills should be a Tier 1 class skill for XP consumption. This would make the XP return actually worthwhile on them.

StarLord and Wilfred like this.
  16. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Like I mentioned, in BDO, the basic crafting/processing/gathering time is insanely long, even a low tier tool can reduce these timers by 11 seconds! People can spend a billion or two just trying to reach a 1 second timer (a very high end player can reach 1b/day, I could manage 300k a day). It felt good reaching it, it felt like an accomplishment. What is going to be left if we drop all timers now and for a huge amount? Where will there be any crafting progression left? Past 100 the benefits are minimal, once you've GMd everything you are basically a crafting master, and all you have left is to spend hours dealing with the RNG, but there is no actual progression left. Add in gear and other sources of crafting buffs and crafters can then progress towards best gear and give them something new. Obviously all of this has to come from crafting, not from drops.

17. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Linked to the team, good ideas! :)

Wilfred, Dollar Bill and Anpu like this.
  18. oplek

oplek Avatar

I disagree-ish.

The purpose of a game is to pose challenges to the player, and provide a toolbox to come up with solutions to solve those challenges. Those alien bugs are coming to destroy my base? Shall I use the laser turret tower, or the machine gun tower? Or maybe a dig a moat to make them go the long way around?

The problem this game struggles a lot with, is that many mechanics aren't contextualized this way. In the original Super Mario Bros, you're at the beginning of the level, and the goal is to make it to the flag on the other side. If this were a SOTA Mario map, it'd be 10 miles long, flat, with nothing else going on, other than you spending an hour running to the other side. There's no tools like the fireflower, or star that makes you a touch-murderer, to solve problem along the way.

Like with the problem of distances in the world... teleport scrolls aren't really a creating tool. They're a bandaid. So instead of running that 10 miles to the flag, you can just use a teleport. Mounts could be a creative fun tool, but they're apparently going to be little else than non-combat pets that you sit on. Distances in the game could be a fun challenge, if there were things like courier contracts, or other mechanics to give it some depth.

Requests like this look a lot like players just wanting all challenge in the game eliminated. But that's not a charitable interpretation. They just don't want Mario levels where you just run in a straight line for an hour. But instead of making that boring level 10 feet long instead, the level should have interesting challenges and tools to choose from.

Anpu likes this.
  19. Dollar Bill

Dollar Bill Avatar

+1 more.

Wilfred likes this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The biggest problem with gathering is the random time. It can be really fast or excruciatingly slow. It should be the same amount of time every time and should be reasonably swift with GM skills.

Anpu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.