1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Strength-Base short-range throwing weapons 1h and/or 2h

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Sorgin Txakal, Sep 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Something I think a lot of melee players would like to see is some means of still doing damage while closing the distance to elusive creatures (like dragons that fly for 60%+ of the battle).

• Effective range ~ 50 to 65 feet or like 1/3 to 1/2 bow range
    • This could be like a throw attack in the tactics tree that branches off from/into/besides the offhand attacks and potentially a combo attack for each melee weapon tree.
    • Would also give melee fighters of a means of delivering a potential poison hit as they approach a target or try to bring down a flying one?
    • Throwing a weapon when fighting is generally thought of as a risk. If unsuccessful, it can leave the thrower without a weapon and arm his attacker. However, many warriors traditionally carried two or more weapons at the same time.
    • Leveling the skill or subsequent skills could reduce the time it takes to "reel it back in with a rope" i.e. cooldown so players aren't throwing away their favorite weapon as a one shot
    • Potentially increase the range but add a higher chance for durability damage as the attack is charged?
    Couple relevant historical examples/ideas:

• Viking Spear, Pilum
      • Wood Shaft & Metal Head

• The spear was the Viking's most common weapon since it was easier and cheaper to make, because it requires less metal.
      • The Vikings most likely wielded their spears one-handed. Aside from thrusting, the weapon could also be thrown, and a skilled user could throw two spears at once.
      • The shaft and butt of the weapon could also be used for blocking and delivering blows, similer to the Taiaha or Staff.
      • The blade of the Viking spear was abnormally long compared to other spears at the time (8-inches-24-inches), making them similer to the War Lance and the Iklwa. If the shaft broke, the Viking could remove the spearpoint and use it as a long dagger.
        • So perhaps daggers could be a component of the throwing spear either in salvage and/or in crafting - this could open the door for incorporating things like the shard of night into it.

• Iwisa, Tomahawk, and/or Pirate Boarding Axe
      • The tomahawk had a stone or bone (and later, metal) head attached to a straight wooden shaft.
        • Maybe dragon bone as a rare component?
      • In addition to its use as a weapon, the Boarding Axe was used to cut through ropes, and hook inward vessels.
        • Potential ship boarding game-play in the future?
      • Some armies today use a modern lightweight tomahawk similarly to a combat knife. Some E-Tool shovels are wielded like tomahawks and some special forces like the spetsnaz train specifically to learn to throw them like tomahawks.
      • Shaka Zulu held back the british guns with the Iwisa and even the Algonquin Native Ameircans used a variation of the tomahawk/iwisa known as the Demon's Head.

• Apache Knife, Bo-Shuriken
    • Wood shaft and bone, metal blades
    • The art of knife throwing was first used in martial arts or hunting applications. It has been incorporated into the martial disciplines of the Japanese as well as African and Native American tribes. In Central Africa, they were used as weapons of war (thrown horizontically) as well as for ceremonial purposes
    • Modern movies and tales portray ninjas using shuriken, but they were mainly used by samurai and ashigaru soldiers. The major varieties of shuriken are the bō shuriken (棒手裏剣, stick shuriken) and the hira shuriken (平手裏剣, flat shuriken) or shaken (車剣, wheel shuriken, also read as kurumaken).
      • Targets were primarily the more exposed parts of the body: the eyes, face, hands, or feet. The shuriken would sometimes be thrown in a way that slashed the opponent in a glancing blow and traveled on, becoming lost, leaving him confused about the cause of the wound.
        • Possibility to blind or daze as a combo attack with rend or whirling blade for a small thrown AOE dex debuff and small damage?

Anyway, just some thoughts for maybe after Episode 2 work is done. Thanks for considering!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I'd love to have this, even as an initially simple Throw Weapon skill and a purchasable/craftable "reagent" of throwing daggers.

Violet Ronso and Sorgin Txakal like this.
  3. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

100.01% agree. could be implemented like any of the combat deck consumables where in the deck its an actual card you can include with usages remaining. love the idea of a tactics skill like offhand that can enhance usage. i can also see a skill in polearms for throwing spears, blades for throwing daggers, and bludgeon for throwing axes.

Still looking for the return of the sling as a weapon as well :) One-handed ranged weapon that uses the ranged tree of skills and gem frags (or 2nd tier crafted gems) for ammo with possibly different damage types per gem type (like fire damage for sorcery gem, etc).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  4. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all
    Many MMOs have a thrown category. It is usually a range skill and requires Dexterity like Bows and Crossbows. As it is the items that could be considered to be able to throw are split over almost all skill trees.

Swords - Rarely ever thrown
    Daggers - Frequently Thrown
    Bows and Crossbows - Never Thrown (in close range like 1meter they could change to bludgeon)
    Axe Mace - Frequently Thrown
    Hammer- Often Thrown
    Halberd- Rarely Thrown
    Spears- Frequently Thrown

We could create an Off-hand category for throw-able weapons that could reside in the Melee Skill but would have to make the off hand skill rely on Dex instead of Strength. It would be even cooler if all weapons could have both Dexterity and Strength modifiers on them but the DEVs will use those weapons on me for suggesting this. And it would have to be an endless ammo so as not to cost inventory or carry capacity. Arrows need to be changed to Endless supply also and more types but that is for another Wishlist post ;)

Sorgin Txakal likes this.
  5. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I actually prefer that ammo is spent in game, immersive content like that is why I am here.

I would personally prefer that if a weapon is thrown it would have to he retrieved, but I don't think that would work well in this game so a cool down timer while the weapon is "reeled in" seems like a good middle ground, potentially doing a hit to durability each time it is thrown as well.

I feel that strength should be a larger factor than dex as, because it is a closer range weapon, it doesn't require as much finesse and aim to be effective over a shorter distance, plus it is much heavier so does damage even if it doesn't hit perfectly - dex should definitely be a factor in deciding to hit and critical chance, but I think that the targeting should be a little more forgiving and the damage should be based mostly on strength.

Violet Ronso likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.