Current Food Buffs and The Channel System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Sep 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

For those unfamiliar with the channel system

Max channel = 6 points
    Food types use 1,2 or 3 points .

Current Buffs for Foods sorted by the number of points they use. Probably missed alot of them especially the high lvl ones (lack of meat ) so feel free to post screens if you have them and ill update this thread .

1 Point Food

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 Points Food

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 Points Food

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lava Fish Food

Recipes not ingame yet - Coelacanth ,Trilobite, Ichthyosaurus,Pleisosaurus .

[​IMG]

Pet Food

[​IMG]

Beer and Wine

[​IMG][​IMG]

Whisky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  2. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

Some food duration do not align. Like 1 point food banana bread last for 4 hours.

Also, the buff on the same food do not align as well. Sauteed Bass INT buff last for 40 minutes but the regen buff last for an hour.

It looks look there are many DEX food choice

FrostII likes this.
  3. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

A really like the changes, but i noticed some points:

- The negative effects from troll spare ribs are too strong -20 dex and -10 int for 10 str buff... would be nice some bludgeon stun duration bonus or increase stun area effect

- +26 water attunement using only 5 points if you have: Oyster potpie, broiled mackarel and backed cod.... OP

- Bear surprise still the same, mediocre str with dex debuff - Add some sneak attack damage bonus

- Moon, sun and chaos magic need at least one more food buff.. only one option compared to air and water with 3 and 4 options.

- No food for death mages;

- More food for blade users (maybe +% bleed damage for rend) ..add it to Brace of Lupine

- More food for polearm users (sewer damage or more range for polearm skills) add it to chaox pork and beef loaf

- Baked Salmon is a 3 points food wih low duration and only +4 intelect.... 8 intelect would be nice and more balanced compared to other status options.

- Darkstarr fried oyster: Give only 2 int.. raise to 4 or 5

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    The Revenant likes this.
  4. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Great GREAT start to a feedback thread @Elrond - thank you :) We'll keep our eyes on this one. Please keep the comments flowing folks :)

5. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I'll look at the foods mentioned. For many things I left duration alone. Also, for somethings I left the buff alone if it was decent and a close match to a certain number of points. So some stuff stayed roughly the same but was set to a 1 or 2 point buff.

6. Chris

Also, lots of reasons for the changes but one of the big ones is giving players choices. While far from perfect, I believe I did get quite a few different build options in there and this can be another place where players can work to optimize their perfect builds.

7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I'll agree, I do see several food options I will want to try that I never did before, great work, just needs some polishing for some I guess!

Elrond likes this.
  8. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

I think Chicken ought to give special powers against Zombies. Remember the Hound preferred Chicken, and he took out the Zombie Mountain.............

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I actually like these changes so far. It allows me to plug in various buffs I would like to have. And I can use various different combinations depending on what I’m doing. Pretty cool.

Time Lord and Wilfred like this.
  10. The Revenant

The Revenant Avatar

This update is providing more buffs for those who have a lot of buffs such as water that has shield of water, orbs and others, and providing less for those who have little like moon that has no shield or other relevant equipment to increase spell damage or atunement.

Time Lord, Chris and Joe Zhudarak like this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Kinda bummed that the only food that gives air attunement and doesn't use a rare-ish ingredient is a 3-point food. (Unless I missed it, of course.) But there's enough other good options that I'm not too bummed...

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I'd like to see more of the "unique" buffs on the 3-point foods. Like the 10% damage from behind or 10% crit; those are really cool and give a good apples-to-oranges comparison. They do have a lot more of the attunement bonuses, but I think those are less "universally" useful since they're more build dependent.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  13. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I'm glad this is getting looked at, but I still don't understand why int food has to be weaker and harder to make relative to str and dex stuff. I currently play a mage, and I usually just use dex food or no food, because int stuff just isn't practical. Given how insignificant food stats are relative to gear and skills, I just don't get the stubbornness about this.

majoria70 likes this.
  14. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Let's not forget that those other schools are often less dependant on these stats. Moon for example has many utility spells, along with one of the strongest AoE spells and one of the strongest single target spells, and that is without all these special buffs water had. Meanwhile water has no AoE, a single target spell that is very strong, and then the rest falls into utility/healing, but the thing is, even with all this, water makes still rely on other schools for late game pvp, Moon, death and fire do not.

Also, Moon has a 3 day blessing, along with the Shard of Night, water did not have this blessing, so It makes sense it has more options elsewhere.

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, no high damage AoE.

16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It'll be fun seeing people vendor rabbits and squirrels, though. In honor of my late westie, I never pass up a chance to put an arrow into either.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Chris
    Any word on when/if Elixir Extension will affect food buff duration?

18. Luno

Luno Avatar

Thanks Elrond
    But what about beverages? Do they have a separate channel?

19. Chris

wow, lots of good comments.

Now that these are all done I'll probably add a few more and make a few more adjustments. While I don't expect equal coverage for all magic schools, right now the food is too lopsided for my taste. (Dad quality pun intended) Expect to see a few more schools get some kind of buff with the addition of some extra recipes.

Also, I do plan on adding the elixir extension to the food buff durations.

Also, I plan on making a few small changes soon to make some specific recipes have a slightly more powerful single part of the buff but make it last 1/4th as long. This is to again help out the crafter economy loops and let the minmaxers burn through 4x as much food if they choose to. *Spoilers* They will...

I'll get some more tuning on this during the first week and work on some new recipes as well to fill in the gaps. All in all though I'm pretty pleased with how it all turned out in at least in my head imagining it being used. I'll be watching for more feedback from more players during the release. Thanks for the positive feedback!

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So far, I think this is shaping up to be a really positive change.

Vero, Anpu and Violet Ronso like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.