Current Food Buffs and The Channel System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Sep 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2Reckless

2Reckless Avatar

I realy like these changes, they make a lot of sense. Expand player options.

Sorgin Txakal likes this.
  2. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Chris - The rare fishies need to give more meat ...If i butcher a pleisosaurus and can only make 2 foods ..im gonna have a heart attack .

3. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Chris While you're updating recipes: The Fat ingredient is used only in making Crackling and Oil, which up to now has not been useable for anything (not edible, not placeable). That sounds like Pork Rinds, which surely should be just as awesome as Bacon. Fix?

4. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

We need someone to check the following on QA to fill out Elrond's list:
    Wedge of Cheese
    Sugar Cookie
    Apple Pie
    Pumpkin Pie
    Cake Slice
    Fish Stew
    Fish Sticks
    Beef Potpie
    Mutton Potpie
    Ardoris Cole Slaw
    Darkstarr Smoked Duck
    Grilled Wyvern Chops
    Boar Surprise
    Obsidian Boar Ribs
    Spicy Phoenix Bites
    Daemon Tea
    plus some rare fishie foods
    and some edible ingredients, cultivated or drops

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  5. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Thank you! This is exactly what some of us are hoping for. More decisions to be made not just in what types of foods and when, but how often.

The more things that drive consumption of foods for benefits, the more both chef and harvesting game play will benefit IMO.

Are there any planned additional skills to correspond with the cooking overhaul either with this release or potentially down the road with others?

Batching count and speed are things I know some people are looking for, but I know there is also a demand for a type of "masterworking" of food that could potentially enhance it further while risking dropping the buffs (and maybe the points cost) to a lower tier if it fails.

This could be a good way to introduce different kinds of attunement buffs as key ingredients are used in the masterworking process to introduce a random attunement buff or a negative one if it fails - possibly applied to a whole stack at once or as to individual foods which, when successful, might increase the points value of the food commensurate with the buff applied.

I know some people will always be against any kind of penalty for actions, but in my opinion, part of being a master chef is taking risks and experimenting - and I would love to see a leader board or contests for cooking if the mechanics could encourage a chef to be able to put their unique stamp on foods from time to time.

6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Why not consider combining certain foods that will help certain builds like those mentioned above that lack certain buffs? Combo food dishes, made for certain magic/melee trees?

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

8. The Revenant

The Revenant Avatar

But this is nowhere near the 450 attunement of death and fire wizards.

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I wonder who that could be...

But, to offer a more constructive criticism on debuffs than I might ordinarily make, perhaps if your method involved the addition of an extra "seasoning" ingredient. If I wanted Wolf Chops, I could just make wolf chops. If I wanted "Seasoned Wolf chops" I could add a seasoning ingredient which would give an extra buff, but gave a debuff on fail. Though, my usual criticism of such things still applies- a failed food with a debuff would most likely just end up in the trash for 99% of the player base, and at this point in the game's life, devs should probably spend their time more wisely than on a system which at best just provides an RP element for a handful of players.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  10. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Banana bread looks like an error, either too long a duration or too few slots. That or we're all going to be fighting @monkeysmack for the bananas.

blockbay and Anpu like this.
  11. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

This is why I think that masterworking food should directly affect the points of the food that it takes up (successful +, fail -)

Perhaps failed foods would also make chefs okay with composting into fertilizer instead of selling in a vendor as is.

If the profits from fertilizer covers the cost of ingredients, I don't think there is any loss but time.

12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Ohh, 100% agreed. Fire and Death wizards have it really good. Death mages find it rough vs undead, and I agree, undead being 100% immune to their magic is rough but there is so many non undead late game options for them still, meanwhile other magic classes, at least the ones I enjoy, while being very good in PvP, lack so much in solo PvE, they can't reach the same number of attunement, don't have as many resistance debuff options, and lack any alternatives to those great spells.

Were you answering to the water AoE? If so, Ice field really doesn't count as an AoE damaging spell, I mean 4-7 damage, 1 time damage even at 130 spell level and 300 water attunement is very weak, heck even Caltrops deal more damage than Ice Field. I really am eager for a new water spell or two, something with a Dot (bleed effect from a water blade or icicle) and/or something with an AoE damaging effect (like a hailstorm or a blizzard), those would be perfect!

The Revenant, Anpu and Elrond like this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I was. I get and agree with your point, I was just being pedantic for humor's sake. (Seems I failed, there.)

Anpu and Violet Ronso like this.
  14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Durrr, I should take my own advice and read all the words. I missed that you were referring to a MW process for foods, which is basically what I ended up suggesting. (Though, I think referring to it as "Seasoning" instead of masterworking is more appropriate.) And certainly, if fertilizer/composting ever became a thing (maybe someday... @Chris ) then that would be a better way to dispose of failures. Or, eating failed foods triggers a puke emote, and at dance parties they can do a Shroud Fear Factor with all the rotten meals.

15. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Hehe I wasn't sure, it looked like you agreed, but in case, I preferred being clear with it, especially for others who might not know as much about water magic, I did hear some people before tell me that water had an AoE :p

16. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

not logging in right now to do screenshots but there's a food reference trunk in the crafting pavilion of stinging tree hollow that has everything it except shark (as well as both grapes, which i requested @Chris add to the standard fruit buffs on discord)

the cooked and rotten meat from the roast pigs taking three slots is way too much

Father Guido Sarducci and Anpu like this.
  17. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I also seemed to have amassed 10,000 sinew since it is only used in 1 recipe as far as I can tell

Father Guido Sarducci and Hazard like this.
  18. Powersurge

Powersurge Avatar

Regardless...these are great changes. Cooking needed some love and the variety of the options for selection is really a great quality of life improvement to all players. It now allows for more vendor possibilities and opens up an entirely new economic model for people to trade finished food items, food-making materials and allow the possibility of player run taverns and restaurants, if they are so inclined. I hope beverages get a similar upgrade. Great work to the folks who worked on this....this is the type of innovative changes our game needs...Just need to get those treasure maps finalized and I can see more opportunities for game growth. (No criticism for it, I know it needs to be done well and balanced).

19. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

unless it has already been mentioned @Chris , can you please have the The power of food buffs be improved with the Receptive skill?

Sorgin Txakal and Vero like this.
  20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

A dummy is me. If I'd thought about for two seconds, I'd have been smart enough to plant a bunch of crops over the last few days...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.