Current Food Buffs and The Channel System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Sep 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

@Chris Bear Bites should use Beef Stock instead of Vegetable Stock imo. Just my 2 cents.

2. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Lol, I will have some 25 year whisker ready in about a year :eek:

3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, I was slightly smarter on that one. I made a ton of each whiskey back when it was introduced. I was going to make a new batch every month, so that I'd have some constantly maturing, but I got lazy when buffs didn't happen after a few releases. But at lest I still have those initial batches.

Anpu likes this.
  4. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Ya, I have some that will be matured in a couple months, but I am making at least 100 barrels right now and will probably make 100 more every month from now on. Luckily I did stock up on barley, wheat and yeast before this change, just didn't realize I was going to be making so much 25 year whiskey.

Looks like prices are going to be rising for the next year as everyone's stores are depleted over time, then next September it'll be like a holiday when the 25 year whiskey starts pouring in again.

Hopefully by then we have a few more competing alcohols that take a while to age like some fine aged brandy and rum that will be maturing relatively shortly after.

5. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Loving the changes. Agree that some magic trees need a bit more food love. Whats killing me is growing all the things i ignored before. LOL. Now i gotta make new kegs of wine so i can stock up vinegar. LOL But having a blast with it all though

Sorgin Txakal likes this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

You can still get table wine from innkeepers for cooking. I suppose there is probably some point at which making it from scratch covers the initial cost of the casks, but given the time sink of growing and then brewing, it's just easier to buy wine.

Anpu and Trade Wind like this.
  7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

All 4 wines have different stats:

Paladis White Wine - higher fizzle chance (WTH?) this is currently utterly pointless....

Perennial Red Wine - +5 int for 1 hour

Npc wine:

Red Table Wine - 30 focus for 1 hour
    White Table Wine - 3% Spell Critical Chance Bonus for 1 hour.

The crafted red wine is useful. The crafted white wine is completely pointless.

8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, I also discovered there is an NPC 1-year whiskey. Not bad if you're a farmer, I guess. Like 8% time bonus to harvesting/planting/watering timers. And an NPC Ale, which was like +2 str or something.

Regardless, it's nice to know that recipes which use (or may eventually use) alcohol ingredients don't require the time sink of brewing if you don't care about that.

9. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Id rather have these as craftable and have NPC sell whisky with producer levels, faster production times and higher fizzle chance .

[​IMG]

Lained and Anpu like this.
  10. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

It would be nice if they released the recipes for these into the game. I see nothing wrong with NPCs selling some too to maintain a baseline price on some thing, might be better if Tavern NPC vendors' stock was randomized across all foods and alcohol with a very limited stock of each per day when it came to foods/alcohols so there was no guarantee to find what you are looking for from an NPC vendor on a specific day to keep it player-driven economy first.

I really hope the devs have a chance to re-look at Paladis White Wine as I believe it should be -5% fizzle, not +5% fizzle. Perhaps something that can be corrected when they add the Trilobite, Coelacanth and other recipes into the game at a later patch - at which time maybe they will make the 1 year whiskey and other NPC alcohols a discoverable recipe through experimentation.

I would personally prefer it if when new recipes came into the game they weren't automatically added to an NPC vendor or placed in the recipe books but would be found via cooking experimentation and then slowly creep into the economy that way as more and more chefs discover the recipes.

11. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Thats not what i was complaining about.... its the fact that npc sold drinks got better buffs then the craftable ones....it shouldnt be a competition it should be a choice.

By adding 3% spell crit on an npc drink every mage out there is gonna buy that because is alot more powerfull then any 1 point drink we can make .

The craftable whisky buffs are crap compared to npc sold whisky buff...

Looking at this from Chris perspective ..its good to have npc sell goods ... it staves off inflation..great gold sinks....the way he went about it though.... Ill put the crap buffs on the crafted whisky...the good buffs on the npc whisky.... It shouldnt be this way... we can have good buffs for both categories..different ones they dont need to compete with each other and they can all serve different purposes.

Also another thing... i agree with npc selling part or 99% of the recipe to craft X item.... because you stil need to farm that 1%... what i dont agree with is NPC selling 100% of the components and all we gotta do is assemble them...( we have alot of that also).

Basically this food release for the crafting side we got a +3 producer levels and a 0.001 faster refine time ... I find that very dissapointing .

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Anpu likes this.
  12. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I think we are mostly in agreement - just a few points of clarification I think to help the devs focus:

• 25 Year Whiskey seems to be the best currently, and that is only craftable.
    • Hoping the new alcohol and beverages come in sooner rather than later, but I imagine that more options and decisions will come over time - but in the current state, being able to craft 1 year whiskey and limit the stock on NPCs would be a good temporary solution, I think.

• Eh, for the points, I don't see many mages using the 3% crit wine. I tried to talk one of our high level fire mages into it, but he prefers demon tea, grilled ammonite, and anomalocaris suprrise for his 6 points.
    • Crits are nice, but unlike bows/daggers it is hard to build a magic build completely around crits when attunement enhancement will grant more damage over time than crit stacking in all but rare cases.
    • Still though, hopefully the devs address the Paladis White Wine issue with a coming patch and maybe give the recipe for the 3% crit wine, or possible a 2-3 point brandy or cognac that will give a higher crit chance for a shorter duration.
    • 25 Year Whiskey should not be underestimated and I know a lot of people, myself included, already have hundreds of barrels in the works.
    • But I think the overall thing we all agree with is, more options for crafters please.

13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Did something change? Because +3 AL/+3PL is complete useless garbage, especially on something that takes nearly an entire real life year to make.

14. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Have you tried it?

I mean, I don't really want to give away too much before the fishing tournament of this week ends, but I have been chugging 25 year whiskey while fishing and have noticed a significant change in the size and quality of fish I am catching. Just like the devotional blessing, a straight increase to AL level increases your base stats, I don't know exactly what the increase in production level does, but I imagine it has a similar effect on the base stats of relevant skills.

It could be just a coincidence, but it would be a hell of a coincidence to catch as many marlins as I have while drinking whiskey as opposed to standard bluefins I was catching at the same rate before the whiskey at the same level. I also haven't logged how many exceptional recipes I have made vs non exception with and without the whiskey, but I as I have thousands of ingredients I have been building up in prep for the food rework, I will be able to quantify later this weekend.

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I have not. But we have been repeatedly told that Adventure Level does nothing stat/combat-wise except raise Health and Focus 1-2 points per level, and were recently told that Producer Level currently has no in-game effect at all. Which is why I ask if something has changed. If it is actually doing anything at all, it is either bugged, Chris has added some sort of means by which producer level does now affect things, or it has a hidden effect. While it's possible Chris has been able to stay silent on a hidden effect, he has historically at least hinted that such an effect may be there.

16. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Well, then I have possibly been drinking it for no reason and have just been very lucky with my fishing while drinking it.

17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

And I'm not saying you're wrong; it may well be a hidden stat buff of some sort. There's supposedly some tweaks to food coming next week, maybe we'll learn more. My initial reaction was based on AL and PL supposedly having little to no effect on gameplay. I'm more than happy to end up wrong and discover PL now buffs producer skills somehow.

18. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if Chris DID add alcohol drinking some bonus for fishing as it is a time-honored tradition to have a few sips while fishing.

19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I would hope it affects more than fishing, given the time involved.

Fister Magee likes this.
  20. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I hate speculation lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.