So, here's a fun Lore-ish question.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cora Cuz'avich, Sep 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I was working on my orrery last night, and was trying to think of ways to decorate all the gears. I thought it might be cool to put lines from the dire prophecy around the rims in runic. (It's going to be Obsidian themed overall.) I couldn't find the text online, though. I was looking for the version with all the collected pages from the main quest; SotaWiki only has the "basic" version. At least, I couldn't find any other version.

So, I hopped into the game to check out the one in my inventory. I hadn't paid a whole lot of attention when I got it, but happened to notice some of the pages were virtue based, and some were anti-virtue based. Given that's it's a weird mix of virtues and anti-virtues, it occurred to me that the pages are probably tied to your virtue score. Maybe that's a common knowledge thing- that part of the quest was in the game well before I started playing.

So, here's the table of contents from mine. I'd like to see what others have.

And, if it is different, I'd love to get the text for the anti-virtue pages I'm missing. Since each planet has it's own gear train (and each planet has an associated Cabalist and anti-virtue) I wanted to use text from the anti-virtue pages on each planet's gears. (Though, it might be cool just for funsies to also compile the full suite of virtue pages and anti-virtue pages for reference, maybe add them to SotaWiki.)

[​IMG]

2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Bonus question: Is it tied to your virtues at the time you receive the book in the main quest (and remains "baked" into that form when you get it) or does it update as your score changes?

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

baked.

pride:

The Avatar has walked
    A path of glory and renown
    her deeds known far and wide
    her story known to all
    Of her are legends told
    And she is one of the first to speak of them
    For why not take credit where it is due
    The virtue of humility forsaken, cast aside
    Its time in the world done

Wilfred likes this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Thanks!

But, boo to being baked. Woulda been a pretty cool immersive way to give you an idea of your score without having to go the oracle. Though, I suppose the Shroud does that.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I got this one because I clicked on the Avatar keyword thinking that it was questioning the NPCs on information relating to avatars. I didn't know that it was "bragging about myself". I honestly wish that I could right click and delete the book.

6. Alley Oop

no, you got it because your adv level was higher than lum thought it should be when you got the book. apparently working to strengthen your character is immodest.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Sorry can't help you.. bwahahahahaaa

[​IMG]

Anpu likes this.
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, I was wondering about that. We have three scores AFAIK. I figured The pages for the "pure" virtues were tied to those. Intersting that the other five are tied to other game "achievements" aside from the virtue scores. Were the others ever explained?

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Actually, I figured it might be tricky to get all of them. Especially the valor one, as there's a ton of "normal" gameplay stuff that raises courage, unlike love and truth.

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

This does remind me how bummed I am they never implemented grey shrouds. (Or, if they did, it's a very narrow band of scores, because nobody seemed to be able to get one.)

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not sure how tricky it is, but it does make me curious what % of players actually managed it.

12. Alley Oop

they did, i saw some, but not in a long time. they may have taken it out after.

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Ah, I see. I got it because I wanted to experience the story whole and complete. How arrogant of me.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The shroud color and buffs/debuffs are tied to your current virtue.

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Pretty tricky, I'd guess. I mean, I've seen black shrouds, so it's not that hard to get there. But given that doing the quests rises your scores quite a bit (you'd think of all the quests that offer "bad" choices, the main story and it's ties to the shroud might have the most) I suspect not that many had super low scores at the time they got their shrouds, even they made them black later. Then factor it what percentage of them are on the forums, and the subset of them that'll actually read this post...
    Huh. Wouldn't shock me if it were a bug. And since we have no way to check what our scores are, or any way of knowing at what point the shroud should be grey, there's really no way of knowing if it's bugged or not.
    Which would, if it were working correctly, potentially show a grey shroud if your scores reflected such.

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm more disappointed in the debuffs than the color.

17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah. I kinda wish it gave different buffs depending on score instead of buffs for good/debuffs for bad. Though, I'm not sure which islore appropriate. Other than receiving the Shroud from the Oracle, who was built for the Titans by Kobolds (and whose intent is still fairly unknown to us) I don't know what it's actual intended purpose is. As in, if it's supposed to be a neutral indicator of our status (in which case the mechanics I proposed would make sense) or if it's supposed to be trying to lead/coerce us into being good (which is sorta how it's actually working.)

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It gives you both buffs and debuffs whether your virtue is positive or negative. I think the debuffs are unnecessary and serve to diminish this ultimate reward for completing the main quest.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Bowen Bloodgood and Wilfred like this.
  19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Oh, derp. That's right. For some reason I was thinking it gave plusses for good and minuses for bad.

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I remember they did that because the shroud was the best back item in-game but that's not the case anymore. Just for comparison, here's my quiver that I crafted with GM (100) skills and I didn't put a lot of effort into it.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.