Norstead RP Viking themed POT

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Jay Nord, Sep 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiero Nord

Fiero Nord Archived Account

[​IMG]

UPDATED December 16, 2021!

Norstead, a small role-playing Viking themed village, is open to new residents. Norstead began as a small village within the POT of Hammaburg (eternal thanks to @Malek Zandor), then became its own POT on Mistrendur, and is now located due west of Estgard on the island of Norgard.

Norstead was founded by the players of Jay Nord and Aeryk ap’Dalaigh, long time real life friends. We were both part of the RP town of Kinship Village on the Catskills shard of Ultima Online back in the late 90’s. I (Jay) was also heavily involved in the RP scene in Magincia on the Pacific shard.

My character has a strong affinity to the Vikings, and loves the Viking architecture in the game and all the Viking NPC towns, especially Estgard and Westend. Norstead’s flavor is most influenced by Westend with its busy harbor and pronounced Viking themes.

Norstead is a village sized POT using Forest 01a (Wooden Docks), with the village being set up around the docks, which is where you will land upon entering the scene. Central to the village are a crafting hall, the Norstead Traders market, and I will soon re-establish the Norstead Hall public space. Since I do a lot of farming, it's always noon in Norstead, and usually clear and sunny, though sometimes a foggy day is just the thing.

The main Docks is where you’ll find a banker and the Town Crier, as well as boats to Novia, Ardoris, Central Brittany, Eastmarch, Estgard, Etceter, Graff Island, Kingsport, Northwood, Westend, Fishing Expedition, Ironhall, Lightbringer Isle, and several other towns. Hatches to Desolis, Resolute, and Soltown are at the front of the docks. Town Boundary 1 has a teleporter to Owl's Head. The Oracle Confirmatory is hidden from view east of the docks.

If you share my love of all things Viking and role playing and want to join our little village, drop me a line here, or join our Discord channel at https://discord.gg/JFBdgcb. Viking homes and farmland are welcome, deco should keep with our established theme, and we have a firm rule that there are no blinky-glowy-flashy things visible on the overland. Those things can go in your basement or dungeon if you must have them.

Not into the Viking thing? We are totally open to having a Medieval, Kobold, Elven, or Shogun themed settlement elsewhere in the POT. If you're thinking of having your own POT some day, establishing your town in someone else's POT like we did is a good way to get a feel for it.

We are also eager to contribute to the RP of other communities and individuals; if we can help advance your in-game storyline in some way, please let us know! Aeryk and I can both play ingame minor RP roles, and I have several inky NPC's that stand ready to help out.

All are welcome to visit Norstead; we do ask that you either RP with us, or at least respect any RP you encounter while there.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  2. Ranger3

Ranger3 Avatar

When night falls on Norstead, a lone, barely-dressed figure glides through the shadows along the town's forest edge. Moving silently to the nearby river, the figure silently slips through the water, pausing momentarily to drink a couple of handfuls of the cool water. On the other side, the figure stealthily moves towards the center of town. The figure has their eyes on a single dwelling, one that sits alone, separated from the close-knit row houses in town, and with a small garden in the back containing a few fresh and almost ripe fruits and vegetables. The figure doesn't move in a straight line towards the lone house, nor do they stay in any one spot for the same amount of time.

When the figure slides up next to a wide tree near the house, they pause for maybe half a minute, listening intently for any sounds from within the seemingly empty house, or more importantly, for sounds that may signal someone approaching from town. Confirming no sound or movement from within the house, the figure deftly crawls barely an inch off the ground towards the garden, quickly picking just enough food to fit into a small haversack. The figure then acrobatically crawls straight backward, gently sweeping away any tracks they may have made in the soft garden soil. Once back in the full shadow of the darkened trees, the figure checks their haversack, and gives a slight affirming nod. That'll be enough to get them through another day. If all goes well, that is. But just as quickly as whatever event happened to bring them to - well, wherever they are - all going well can change in the blink of an eye.

The figure casts a dark green eye over the small town, thinking this may be a possible location for a return visit, maybe more. The figure then steps soundlessly away from the town along a meandering path completely different than the one entered on. They make their way back to their current small cave hovel to eat, rest, and prepare for yet another long day of hiding and watching, looking for some clue that will answer the multitude of burning questions zipping through their mind.

3. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Great shoreline scene! Makes me wanna watch Vikings again ;)

Time Lord, Fei Akhart, Aeryk and 2 others like this.
  4. Thoryk Omara

Thoryk Omara Avatar

Really love the feel of your town! It was dark and raining when I visited and it added so much to the touch. Well done. Looking forward to come visit again.

Time Lord, Aeryk and Jay Nord like this.
  5. Fiero Nord

Norstead welcomes new residents Bubbagump and Retlaw!

The village has 2 available row lots remaining, and plenty of space in the homesteads area for larger lots for farms/homesteads. Space is also available along the river for fisherfolk or others desiring a waterfront home.

Time Lord, Thoryk Omara and Aeryk like this.
  6. Fiero Nord

There was fog today...

[​IMG]

7. Fiero Nord

Norstead welcomes @Fei Akhart to the village! An embassy has been established in Norstead by @Thoryk Omara for his Ironhall POT. We now have a teleporter to Owl's Head at Town Boundary 1, a boat to the Laketown district of Ironhall, and a dedicated Smithy building thanks to @Retlaw .

8. Fei Akhart

Fei Akhart Avatar

Thanks for the opportunity and for the welcome, Jay! ;)
    It's good to start playing again.

9. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Welcome back, Fei :)

10. Fiero Nord

Update: Norstead has been upgraded to the "Village" size POT, and we changed to a different biome. Please come visit when you have a chance!

We are accepting new residents to the village itself, and would be interested to hear from anyone looking to establish their own small themed village somewhere in the POT. I would specifically like to see small villages of Shogun, Elven, and Kobold themes. Pitch me your idea via PM here on the forums, please.

Here's the view of Norstead as it looks today:
    [​IMG]

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

That's a great depiction! Lucky for me those Vikings are going to have to march inland to get to me :D That looks cool!

Elgarion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.