Official youtube channel abandoned?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by craftymethod, Oct 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  2. Lained

Lained Avatar

3. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Should be Catnip now too should it not? Maybe that’s a reason it hasn’t been updated. Haven’t the permission/bandwidth. Working as intended? I jest.

4. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Well, Portalarium doesn't exist anymore and isn't even legally allowed to do business under that name. Catnip does all their community outreach via Twitter and Twitch now.

I could see a desire to upload twitch streams to YouTube so we could get transcripts from the streams to search through and post summaries from, but I believe it would need to be under a different name if the Portalarium account on YouTube wasn't a part of the assets sale to Catnip games.

5. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I figured it was something to do with account issues. Pretty sad state of affair if they lost access to it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

They were posting to that channel well after the sale to Catnip, weren't they?

I suspect it is just one of the many things that fell off the radar. At least, that seems more plausible than any nefariousness with account control.

arcdevil and Time Lord like this.
  7. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Not a matter of "lost", just that Portalarium has exited the game making business with the sale of SotA to Catnip. Portalarium for all intents and purposes no longer exists as a company and no one does business under that name.

As far as the YouTube Strategy of Catnip games, who knows. YouTube is probably the worst way to get feedback from fans, but it is sad that the majority of recent videos on YouTube about SotA are made by haters and trolls. I think Catnip would benefit from at least posting the Twitch streams onto YouTube.

Cordelayne, craftymethod and Anpu like this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Catnip games would need to set up a new YouTube channel possibly. But that now adds yet another website to update. Is it actually worth their time to do so?

The current exposure from twitch seems to be bringing in new people. Also with the updates on steam are probably a good use of time as well.

9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Honestly I wonder if many follow Youtube channels now? Man, if its not on FB or Twitter these days I've stopped following. There were just too many news outlets and I decided to consolidate. I appreciate the devs doing the same thing.

10. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'm not familiar with the tools, and how possible it is, but they could take user submissions, like the Express site does. Turn it into more a community channel, maybe with some quality control/guidelines.

11. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

Yes, the demise of Portalarium is a sad, nasty affair for us SeedInvest investors.

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I believe the original reason for uploading to YouTube was that people liked to watch while at work, but many workplaces block Twitch on their networks. Since they couldn't watch them live anyway, catching them the next day on YouTube was convenient.

13. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I'd like to know why abandoning the platform makes good business sense.

//technical issues aside :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  14. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Previously, all the Twitch streams were posted to YouTube so we could at least watch them later. Twitch is unfortunately not a great platform for rewatching previous streams, at least compared to its value as a live streaming service. YouTube also has other benefits as a video platform, including embedding, playlists, and captioning (auto might suck, but it's not the only option).

Please use YouTube again.

15. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

The Youtube channel will once again be updated. Videos from out Twitch channel archive should be migrated over now (or soon if not there now).

The videos will once again be moved over going forward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.