Horse/Unicorn Feedback Thread (from Testing Directive)

Discussion in 'Player Test Environment (QA Server) Feedback' started by Ravalox, Oct 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Having taught both English and Western styles of riding I just wanted to throw in support for this as well as emphasizing a point that the rider should NOT by any means be sitting back on their bum. A rider with a proper 'seat' rides on the inside on their legs, not on their backside.

Littleoneloot02, Jay Nord and Aeryk like this.
  2. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Combat increases horsemanship skill - shouldn't it be the act of mounting/dismounting, or something else?
    Also - should it be called Horsemanship if other types of mounts will be coming at some point, requiring a rename at that point, or another skill per type of mount? My opinion would be it's better to rename it to something more generic now.

Littleoneloot02 and Rinaldi like this.
  3. Toular

Toular Avatar

Steal a non-weapon skill name from AD&D - "Land-based Riding". We can only hope for the "Air-based Riding" skill.

4. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

And water! When ships come in..I want a sea serpent to fight/tame/ride surf !

Littleoneloot02, Aeryk and Rinaldi like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Generally speaking, mounting and dismounting requires very little actual ability so no. Mounted combat on the other hand would provide endless challenge from maneuvering/control and balance etc.

6. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

Are these skills really needed in order to have a mount. Why are we wasting our experience points in order to use a mount?

Does anyone suffer from carry capacity that a mount skill will resolve that?

Please people think really hard whether this is actually necessary to be added to the game?

7. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

On QA, I leveled up the mount skills to maximize mount speed: however, I can move way faster on foot (on the overworld and in zones) using the fleet flute, dash, and some equipped items. Similar to the statement in the previous post, the carry capacity from the mount is effectively useless for me because my carry capacity on foot is so high.
    For players in my situation, mounts will not help game-play, and will be purely aesthetic.
    So, perhaps the following could be considered:
    1) Skills that improve mount speed - make the achievable mount speed (using innate skills) on par with achievable foot speed (using cast-able skills such as dash and berzerker stance). If things were on par, there would be an advantage to using a mount: no need to keep casting skills to maintain speed.
    2) Have equip-able items that can increase mount speed, such as equestrian clothing, a special saddle, special reins, or a dangle carrot stick (when mounted, the avatar holds a fishing pole with carrot tied to the line, and dangled down in front of the horse). This would help keep mount-speed on par with foot-speed (using equip-able items).

With adjusted innate skills and equip-able items, mounts could achieve speed that is at least as good as running on foot, making mounts far more useful.

As it stands now:
    Mounts may be beneficial to those whose cannot run fast or carry a lot when on foot.
    However, you cannot do anything while mounted: no emotes, no eating, no combat, etc.
    So, in their current state, mounts will be purely aesthetic for many people, which means the mounts may have the same impact as the one-man-band (a lot of work to create it, it looks cool, people have fun with it for a few weeks, and then they are almost never used again).

The mounts look cool and are a welcome addition to the game (good work on this first iteration!), but in order to have any lasting impact on game play, I think ongoing improvements in functionality are necessary.

Here is some of what I would like to see in the future (an off-topic wishlist):
    1.) It would be nice to have emotes that work when mounted (e.g. that use only the avatar arms such as hails, waves, salutes, drink, etc.). Also, a "giddee-up" emote - the avatar squeezes the horse with the legs, the horse bucks, and then takes off galloping (Hi-Yo Silver!).
    2) It would be nice if pet dances worked when mounted (but stationary).
    3) Of course, we need some combat when mounted.
    4) The mount needs hit points like a pet. So when mounted combat is added, the mount can take damage. Also, when mounted, falling off a cliff does no damage to the mount. The mount should take some damage from falling (and perhaps a mount-speed debuff for a while?).
    5) Ability to mount other creatures.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  8. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

Where do I get a horse to ride? How do I deploy this to my avatar? Can I use a tamed horse to ride? What happened to the stretch goal when we all bought a foal that was supposed to turn into a ridable horse? Can I ride a nightmare? Can I ride a unicorn? Are there any other mountables than horses?

9. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Mounts are currently available only on QA server.
    To get a mount to test, see this post for complete testing directives and instructions to get mounts.

In brief, "The horses can be obtained by going to the Fishing Expedition Scene and checking the chests on the floating dock. (if ANY of the chests are empty, please reach out to Ravalox or Elgarion and we will get them refilled asap.) To get the the Fishing Expedition: Take the Fast Travel boat from any of these NPC towns: Aerie, Ardoris, Kingsport, Mud, or Port Graff."

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Devs: Emphasis on SQUEEZE.., NOT KICK.. though this is likely too subtle to see in an emote..

Littleoneloot02 and Jay Nord like this.
  11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Kelly O'Shay and Alley Oop like this.
  12. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

@Anpu

I had already started there at that link. I still do not have the answers I requested above.

The link says I need to go to the fishing expedition to get sample mounts. It says to go to the fast travel boat at ardoris or one of the other locations. I went to ardoris and there is not a fast travel boat there. It is called a Cross-Continent Galleon now. Is that the boat you mean for me to take to the fishing expedition?

I click on the Cross-Continent Galleon, and there are destinations listed. They are Hidden Vale at Kingsport, Mistrendur, Novia at Aerie, Novia at Brittany, Novia at Jaanaford, Novia at Noreach.

There is not an option to go to the fishing expedition.

Any help would be nice.

[​IMG]

13. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Kelly O'Shay, the galleons are always for overworld destinations only. enter ardoris and take the boat from the southern docks.

Kelly O'Shay likes this.
  14. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

Is this the right thread for problems riding mounts?

Since I cant jump with mounted, there are obstacles that are a complete blocker to moving forward. I can easily jump over these when not mounted, so they havent been a blocker before. Just an inconvenience.

Enter Solania south entrance. Mount your nightmare. Run up the road toward the crier and docks. When you get part way up the stairs at the first bridge you are stopped. Going back and forth or backing up and trying again will not let you advance. Hitting the space bar does not allow you to jump so that doesnt help. I have to dismount to advance past the steps.

10/23/2020 13:33
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 12212
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 GPU RAM: 2007
    SotA.QA.Win.64.1085.Date.10.19.20
    Area: Novia_R1_City_Solania
    Area Display Name: Solania
    Loc: (96.0, 13.4, 41.3)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjFfQ2l0eV9Tb2xhbmlhfHwoOTYuMDAzLCAxMy4zNzgsIDQxLjMyMSl8KDAsIDEsIDAsIDAuMDEpfDUzOC44ODY5fDMwLjc5NzU1fDYuNjYzOTA3

Jay Nord, Aeryk and majoria70 like this.
  15. Littleoneloot02

Littleoneloot02 Avatar

I agree with alot of what is being said in this thread about the mounts. Someone else had mentioned they are too small and that it seems like they are riding a pony and not a horse. I agree 100%. My character also seems to look like they are either on a small horse or a pony. I feel they ought to be more tall and also more long. They seem a bit scrunched. Maybe that is how it ended up looking like the rider wasn't sitting on them properly? Not enough room for placing of a character on their back because they aren't long enough? It seems like there ought to be more room in-between their front legs and their hind legs. They really seem to me to look a lot more like a pony than a horse. Also what about manes? Will there be horses with longer manes? And am I the only one experiencing this: Your character has a cloak on but the cloak disappears the moment you mount up onto your horse. Not disappears from your character's c window where you can see what equipment your character has, but physically you can't see it anymore. Unless you hit c and then left click and drag the cloak off of the character's cloak slot and then drag it back on? I posted this somewhere else as I didn't find anything about it and I got a reply saying this was as designed and not a bug??

Edit: Also, can the horses be made so that you can press a and/or d and the horse does not stop (after you have hit the key that makes them auto-run while on them)? Example: You mount up and you press the auto run key. At some point you hit a or d and your horse just stops.

Aeryk likes this.
  16. redfish

redfish Avatar

IMO

1. You should be able to use non-combat spells while mounted. Dismounting, casting light, then mounting, is a bit complicated and that kind of stuff makes people weary of using mounts in day-to-day gameplay.
    2. You should likewise be able to hold torches/light sources while mounted.
    3. It would be nice to use jump to cause the horse to do a short leap, so you can leap over small obstacles (like a log on the road, for instance).

Aeryk and Barugon like this.
  17. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

There are still some areas where the nav mesh isnt working with the horses. They are aware of some spots like bridges and such in towns.

Kelly O'Shay and Aeryk like this.
  18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

They'd have to change bit types to allow that. The riding style they've gone with uses a broken bit or 'direct pressure' bit and requires the use of both hands. It's probably the biggest difference between English and Western styles..

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

The Esc to dismount is actually kind of annoying, because I use Esc to close open windows, and I'm sometimes managing things like skills and inventory when I'm on my horse.

Aeryk likes this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Oh I just tried a torch.... they allow you to use one while riding as is.

Allowing non-combat spells when stopped is always an alternative. Although I think being able to have a free hand is good for gameplay, because you want players to be able to travel overland at night, not giving preference to magic light sources, and not giving preference to people stacking up speed buffs instead of using a mount.

Aeryk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.