Loot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jayfire, Oct 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayfire

Jayfire Avatar

Someone had mentioned this in another thread and I'm sorry I cannot give you the credit

But making weapons and armor have a chance for a bonus on it would help loot so much. If finding a piece of armor with a + to something and then being able to craft on it would help the loot table and crafters tremendously. Especially if some of these bonuses could only be found on loot like a chance to cast a spell or summon something for a short period of time. bonuses to different stats, and not just stats that are normally used some people like to use weird classes if i could find leather armor with plus to focus or int it might help me make unique builds. and then perhaps higher level equipment could have two bonuses and having one of the bonuses being a masterwork piece with higher durability would also be a huge boon. Imagine not having to craft 200 items for 10 good ones and finding a piece of equipment with a bonus to durability to try your hand at crafting an awesome item.

Also I talked to chris about this once but the gold recieved for selling items to vendors does not help people sell exceptional equipment which would go into the loot table also helping loot. But if you made it so maybe for a weekly quest you had to give a vendor 10 or 20 +10 or higher items or it scaled like if you gave them 10 +5 items you got little experience if you gave them 10 +10 items you got moderate experience and if you happen to give 10 +15 items then you would get great experience. We have a system in place to make loot good and fun, but you need to give players incentive to sell items to vendors for it to go into the loot table. Also you could make it so the items given to the quest had to be crafted by you so you could not resell looted items found out in the world. This would be the simplest and easiest fix to the loot problem especially for new players and use the system how it was intended to be used.

How many people are just sitting on a ton of crafted items that cannot be sold and you dont want to salvage or sell. I know I have been for a very long time.

One suggestion was a new currency for crafters that would allow you to buy recipes but that would probably take a lot more work to implement

We need player retention and this would help

Also side note when ultima online made a change to loot so you got random bonuses from looted items I remember playing for months and months due to this new system it gave me a new incentive to adventure and made it much more fulfilling!!

#2020lootstopssucking

2. Jayfire

Jayfire Avatar

• Major loot and reward overhaul: Currently one of the top concerns for existing players and will be a large part of our focus for Q1 and into Q2.
    This was from shroud vision 2020 and was in Q1

so we recognize and know that the top concern for exisitng players is loot and reward, and they had planned a large focus.. it is now Q4 and your talking about a full bug release next month, so maybe December ..... but probably not at all this year
    If this is a huge concern then why are we not addressing it?

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I think the main issue is they don't know how to make people happy without going overboard. Right now, crafted items can have an insane pricing due to their stupid RNG, which makes people feel like they should be making 100k/hour at mid game, but if you compare loot and how it scales between scene difficulty, you will notice it does. Mobs in Outskirts drop 5-7 gold + 1 rusty piece of equipment, meanwhile, a Satyr Assassin can drop 130 gold, 1 or 2 pieces of high level equipment, gems and consumables, along with a chance at artifacts. I've been doing more bosses lately, and I can expect on average 2k+ worth in loot before artifact drops, and I can get sometimes 2 artifacts on a kill, so if I compare, an outskirts mob drops about 25 gold in value, a T10 mob drops about 350gold in value, and a boss drops 2000gold or more in value, so clearly loot scales.

So how do they make loot reasonable without inflating the economy? That is a challenge they need to consider for a while and with all the other changes that happened this year, I can understand the delay on this.

But one thing to note, if you are killing animals, don't expect loot, you are getting producer experience, if you want scaling loot, kill humanoids, and if the T10 zones are too hard, most foothills have a nice progression, and you have the first floor of tartarus that can be a good training grounds with decent loot and a little sub-boss with a good chest.

4. Dawgs of War

Dawgs of War Avatar

Everyone needs to give up on a loot fix !

If it were going to be fixed it would have happened prior to the mass exodus of so many players. Play SOTA for what it is and have zero expectations that any promises you have been given will ever come to be.

The bottom line ... This isn't what we want to hear... But as this adage reminds us... " Actions speak louder than words"

Luno likes this.
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Apparently you seem to have missed something:

It is important to note that this is not intended to be some kind of binding contract where we promise we will hit each and every item mentioned. Rather this is just intended to be a vision of where we believe we are headed for the next year. Items will move around, sometimes slip, or sometimes move earlier in the schedule, In some cases we might decide that an item no longer makes sense once we start digging into to it and we might remove it.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  6. Jayfire

Jayfire Avatar

I did not miss anything

I am not lawyering bro

I was saying they recognize its a huge problem and concern so perhaps they should do something about it

Also value is not the problem

And of course I know animals don't give loot, that has never been the problem. I am not new here

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Rentier, Cordelayne, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I wouldn't take it personally. I think Anpu spends so much time helping new players he sometimes forgets we're not all noobs.

8. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

@Jayfire I mentioned it on Elrond post on better crafting but this was not my idea. This was the an idea of an ex player called FZol, he mentioned it directly to @Chris as he was interviewing Chris on his twitch stream. This will give player purpose for pursuing loot and will work in tandem with crafters.

Grumpy Krabnevir likes this.
  9. Luno

Luno Avatar

After seeing what they did with the shadow creatures loot i think they simply don't care.
    And what about Lord British Castle?
    Zero reason to go there after the first time.
    Oh but we will soon have mounts!

AzazelReborn likes this.
  10. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

Hi Violet, I have been watching your stream and following you a bit when you do your boss runs. A question for you.

If you do not have your own vendor and you are not interested at all in crafting. Imagine if the boss do not drop Gem/Jewel/Ore and Ingot would you still say the boss loot is good?

Because if you take those things out of the boss loot what do you get in return, these things are used as a way to inflate the loot without it I wonder what people will say?

11. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Obviously, if gems/jewels were taken out of the equation, I would lose on average around 550 gold per kill (I averaged 2.75 gem / kill), but my current average, pricing any artifact I get at 5k each means I still make on average 6500 gold per kill, take the gems and ores out of there and I am still making more than 5k worth per kill, which is a very nice number IMO.

And you say those things are there to inflate the loot, but I mean apart from a fun solution like making artifacts be salvageable for their special essence (to apply their effect on a crafted item) or some essences from regular mobs for garanteed enchants like I suggested multiple times, I don't know what would be good to add into look to make it worthwhile. Right now, loot translates to money, ressources or components that can then be sold to crafters, to then buy items from them, and this creates an economy, so I don't see the issue of these items being in the loot table.

Making loot fun requires a lot of planning from the team to find a solution that will make MOST happy, because there will always be people upset about it, and honestly, the majority of the time these threads pop-up people like to complain a lot, but have no ideas to fix it, or ideas that make no sense in terms of the game we are playing, because if you add gear to loot, you're removing the crafters from the game, and that's already something that happened with artifacts, making most of the gear pointless to craft.

This scene is supposed to be a challenge dungeon. A challenge dungeon is a place where you can Challenge yourself and your team to clear encounters, I see many reasons to go there : Try new fighting tactics, try the effectiveness of new spells and skills, Try to make it to the end, try to speedrun to the end. The possibilities are there, it's simply the YOU don't see a reason to go back there. With the quantity of scenes out there, there is bound to be a few you enjoy and find your time worthwhile, so stay there, but let the ones who enjoy the scene and its reason to be have fun as well.

Mounts is something a big group of players have wanted since day 1, so if your comment was sarcastic, you need to open up your eyes and thoughts to the rest of the player base, because this update will make tons happy, and will probably bring back some older players who left because this is something that they will want to try, and by wanting to try it will get the urge to play, will make a few weekends full of players, maybe stimulate the economy a bit, but most importantly bring positive comments. Not everything will please you, but don't consider it pointless for the game, because it isn't.

As for this part, There are a bunch of guilds out there that offer vendors in many locations, you do not need your own vendor, and being not interested in crafting, like me, means that the loot results in gold, instead of more crafting, so all this boss loot is still valuable, because you can sell it to crafters, and heck most crafters have buy orders on their vendors, meaning even a solo-guildless player can benefit from the vendor system!

All in all, offer up suggestions if you aren't tired of doing so, but complaining about loot without any ideas (that make sense in this game) wont help one bit. Guess what, I've been waiting on new water spells for a few years now, I heard talks about new skills and spells 2 or 3 years ago, it was in the 2020 road map, we are in October and there has been actually 0 updates to the water magic tree yet, and water magic artifacts are garbage anyways, so we got nothing, yet whenever I talk about this I actually propose new spells, or ways to update current spells to make them fun, I don't just go around saying : "Hey, where are the new spells, water magic is crap, give me my update."

majoria70 and Anpu like this.
  12. Jayfire

Jayfire Avatar

I did start this thread with proposals

what if we had something like engraving kits dropped (also do people use engraving kits?)

This could have guaranteed modifiers that remove durability you could apply them to any type of gear. might help crafters a little beable to specifically choose what bonus they want on a weapon or armor

the engraving kit functionality is already in the game so the time would be spent on what types of bonuses they give

you could have them tiered and eventually beable to combine the lower ones into higher ones similar to artifacts

13. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

Lords British Castle is way easy than spected, im still waiting for the hard and extreme version.. no real boss and the loot is meh

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  14. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

But how would you use these kits? Here is the issue with this suggestion, if I get engraving kits as drops, I don't need the crafters anymore, meaning loot is making crafters even less useful to the game. That's why I always suggest essences or another type of material, that can be used in the masterwork/enchant recipe, to garantee the enchant/masterwork, because this means the players need to hunt and loot it, but then sell it to crafters to make a good item with it, which they can then sell at a much more affordable price due to the RNG element being eliminated, meaning everyone benefits from a suggestion like this one.

If loot ends up doing what crafters do but better/easier, we don't need them anymore, and thus they are technically being kicked out of the game.

Anpu likes this.
  15. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Also if I look at the original suggestion,
    This part here could potentially hurt the basic resources economy, because if these dropped items have a special stat that makes them good, it does the same thing as artifacts!

16. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

I gave up on LB Castle after getting to the last room with ease to realise that as a Fire Mage that I will have to spend the next 40 min battling two Obsidian Golem, I quickly said to me self "NO TODAY DEVIL" and teleported out of the zone and will never ever come back again. what a joke.

17. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

Violet what he is trying to say is this. Imagine a Carapacian Cloth Boot/Bronze Plate Helm or any other gear that can be crafted by a player as a blank drop, while that item drop, it comes with an extra random stats/spells associated with it. A crafter can then work on it and create an interesting piece out of it. The item that drop and the stats/spell that it came with might not be good for your build but might be good for someone else.

This now create an interesting new game play for people and even new build base on these drops. Players will have something they can aim for, say +5 to Ring of Fire/Attunement/Intelligence on a Carapacian Chest Armor (The possibility is endless), players might want to get that stats on on their armor pieces and will farm till kingdom come to get that. Diablo does that, WoW does that, GW2 does that, many MMO does that, it makes your character unique to any other Carapacian wearer.

18. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The idea is great, like I said, if we could salvage artifacts or get essences from mobs that could permit just this, at least the crafters wouldn't be out of the loop, or have some of their sources cut out, and material harvesters would lose a ton of revenue because let's say I loot a bronze chainmail chest, that is 9 bronze coils that weren't required, which means 144 copper ores and a few other resources. Multiply that by the quantity that could drop in a day, and the fact that people will now want their armor to always include this special perk these looted armor have, resources like iron and copper and what not will become nearly unsellable, and gear will actually cost even more than before, because guess what, these armor pieces are similar to artifacts, they simply take on crafted gear properties, but work the same way as our current arties, which already ruined a lot of the crafted gear economy.

The idea isn't terrible, but we must not forget the rest of the community when thinking about these ideas, a few tweaks here and there to make sure everyone is considered, and the idea could be great.

Anpu likes this.
  19. Jayfire

Jayfire Avatar

Violet Ronso

That is a good point it would make some of the resources more useless or less useful

But an essence type thing might be interesting

Have different essences associated with different types of bonuses and perhaps you could just add them in and depending on the amount you add in it could give you a % chance for a guaranteed type of bonus to the armor or weapon some of these bonuses or all the bonuses could be unique to these essences. or even using the current essences and putting essences on all creature types. example maybe a troll essence when used for crafting could give armor a chance at some hp regen both in combat and out of combat and the chance on weapons could be a stun effect. Spiders could have a chance on hit to slow target for weapons and on armor could give a resistance to poison. Then as a crafter you could use these for your totems and player made dungeons or you could use them for crafting. Plus I'm sure that there are lots of people who don't mess with player made dungeons making the essences useless to them.

This could help, I know I do farm elves at times to try and get bows to salvage for bowstrings and the sort this would give me another added bonus of doing so.

I don't know if it would completely solve the loot but could be a step in the right direction, I think part of the difficulty is most games like say diablo the loot is equipment based. Finding equipment with random bonuses makes things interesting because you never know if something really good or just slightly better than what you have drops. Which is why I mentioned using the system we have now for when selling to vendors puts items in loot table but making more incentive for crafters to put there items in loot table. Giving some kind of experience and quest to crafters for selling there loot to vendors would put player made items into the loot table for new players and giving producer experience for the quest would not hurt the economy.

Also if we were able to perhaps inscribe something on weapons it could be good advertising like putting your vendor location on an item. A player finds said item likes it and when it comes time to upgrade would probably first go to said shop to see what other items they had to offer.

I always brighten up when I find a player item in loot, now I will never find anything better than my own gear but it does bring some enjoyment

20. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

Good point made here, maybe when crafters work on these special blanks, depending on what type of materials is used to make it they will need to add these materials when mastercrafting or enchanting.

It's true we don't want to hurt the economy, the developers should be thinking of the way we are thinking. It seems to been five years now since players base have been complaining about look and crafting, they should be brain storming like we are really. They have their weekly stand-ups, why not have a monthly or quarterly stand-up for brain storming for features players are passionate about.

Violet Ronso likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.