Why PVP will never work in SOTA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Schulz, Nov 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schulz

Schulz Avatar

So there I was, minding my own business in Grunveld Shard....After killing the three dragons another player arrived. I was still fully buffed and I don't think I have a skill under 140. That player, I would think high level, an archer arrived. Before I could get within 50 yards of him/her set off two gliphs, rapid fire and aimed shot and I met my demise. I am not the most experienced player in the game for certain, but I have a decent level of skills. If I can face tank an aether, how reasonable is it that another player can two shot me? I respect the fact that players in the Jemma range are very powerful, but this is why only a ranged/perhaps mage build will only work in pvp. This is why most of us avoid the pvp areas. (helpful hint, since you are duping areas in the new lands, how about the pvp only areas as non-pvp with a drop in exp) Maybe Sara can last in a pvp contest ( please let me know how you do it) but it seems any melee build has a HUGE disadvantage.

End of rant

Van

Time Lord, necronut, Rat2 and 2 others like this.
  2. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I get messed up to from time to time. Archery is OP in PVP... still. Factor in a 0.2 air shield transfer rate and good luck. As a melee you just need to do 5k+ damage to them before they kill you. I do lots of blade and poles damage but archers too fast to sustain 5k melee damage long enough before they drink a pot or kill you. Torpid helps if you get get close enough but for many it's the only answer. Currently Chris is adding so much magic resist and archer friendly skills like barding and melee at a SEVERE disadvantage.

PVP needs a balance. Melee and magic (except for death) up and archery down. Some may agree @Vesper... others may not. I'm an archer in PVP as it's suuuuuuper easy and way more effective for me. @Elgarion maybe mention to Chris?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

You can bard and arrow at the same time?

necronut likes this.
  4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Bard is simply a 3 second cast time 45 second duration totem called Bard.

Basically you cast your spell for 3 seconds (less as you raise passives, I think it was down to 1.7s for me), and on your current location the buff happens. The buff will stay in that specific duration, and buff/debuff anyone in a 10 meter or so range around it, leave the area, the buff drops almost instantly (it usually lingers for a second or 2), and if the mob walks away it will no longer be affected. So basically the "Bard" skills are Totem skills.

As for another reason PVP will never work, Chris keeps on making things in this game that make no sense with the current power possibilities... just look at this new COMMON belt (which means it could potentially increase in power up to Epic?)

[​IMG]

-50% Fizzle chance means you can probably cast any spell in full plate if you are wearing a staff or 2 wands...
    +25 Strength is just super strong
    +15 Damage avoidance is more than what you can get on about 3 or 4 plate pieces
    +25% Aggro boost is honestly a who cares at this point because you have 3 bonuses that by far outclass any other item

Just imagine the full plate necromancer having 0 issues casting any spell... I just don't understand how this makes it into the game, I hope it gets fixed, but as long as items like this and Bandit Armor exist, PvP will always be that one specific wheel on a shopping cart everyone knows I am talking about...

Wilfred, kaeshiva, necronut and 5 others like this.
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

How sad.

6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

PvP and PvE can NEVER balance.
    It was the early focus on PvP that got us to where we are.
    There's plenty of PvP games online to play with, go play one.......

Time Lord and Cordelayne like this.
  7. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Agreed. PVE is fine but could balance PVP a bit more.

8. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Considering an entire aspect of the lore of the game revolves around that specific element : PVP, I think that your statement is one that is actually a very good one for the SotaRaw crowd or anyone else that dislikes the game I might say.

PvE and PvP can balance, there are ways to do this, ESO did a fine job (at least back when I played it, 4 years ago, no clue now), Runescape has kept a very healthy PvP crowd with no tweaking between PvE and PvP, there are countless games that manage to make PvE and PvP work.

The issue isn't that they can't balance, its that the power creep Chris introduced to this game broke the balance of things, as can be noted even by the PvE crowd who complain about specific builds that can easily farm endgame and render the other builds to struggle in T5 scenes. The issue isn't PvE+PvP, the issue is the entire balance of the entire combat system, PvE included.

And why, why in hell does someone wanting to enjoy the game he is playing deserve the answer "Go play another game"? Why do you think you are so special that this game should only be fun for you? Why can't players want and ask for a balance of things that would help PvP out even just a bit?

Considering there is about 10% of the scenes in this game are PvP, and that all the keys to PvP are lore related (oracles protection, shardfalls), I think PvP has its place in this game...

necronut likes this.
  9. Schulz

Schulz Avatar

Violet Ronso, I am not saying PVP doesn't belong in the game. I appreciate your thoughts, but NOTHING outside of a crazy min/maxer should be able to kill me with two shots. And any melee build can't even close with an archer build in the time they can kill a melee build. I would love to have that belt you show, but it doesn't come close to the dex buffs you can get at Lamech's. Two buffs, 65 dex and 10 avoidance... good work if you can get it. Plus you never have to worry about your gear getting damaged because some dumb lunk like me is tanking. :)

PS. I love this game, I just like to head hunt, and you can only get the green dragon in the PVP zone.

Van

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's interesting that you're so focused on dex that you can't see the potential of that belt.

11. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Or PM me and trade whatever you have a lot of.

12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

You understand that I was replying to Frost in that post, and that the previous post I made was actually agreeing with you?

And -50% fizzle chance is basically the equivalent of someone wearing 3 wands, so only that bonus is already super OP in itself, because you can start wearing super heavy armor and a shield and have no fizzle chance.

+25 strength is a ton of strength pre-enchant/mw, and the higher your Str, the higher your hits, the stronger your crits, and extra HP

And then the avoidance, that part is maybe useless against archers for 1 skill they have, but against close to everything else physical, this is a great buff.

Also you compare the belt to a blessing, you know you could stack the blessing + the belt and come out with even more? I'm just saying that belt is an example of how unbalanced this become for no reason, there is no reason to have a belt with those 3 stats combined, and if Chris actually wanted to make that a Tank belt, he would change the bonuses for DA, Resistance, Health, Magic Resistance, Agro, not strength, not a reduced fizzle chance, thats how that belt is unbalanced.

13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Belts can't currently be enchanted or masterworked. Not that that's an excuse, but at least it can't be improved, outside of artifact combining.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I personally feel that no artifacts should be masterworkable or echantable.

necronut and Tirrag like this.
  15. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I would love to agree with you Cora, but this is the belt I currently wear :

[​IMG]

Also, I just saw the combining stats for an uncommon one, +5Str, +5DA, +(?)Agro boost (can't remember this one exactly), so this means that if it keeps this trend, an Epic belt could have :

-50% Fizzle Chance
    +45 Strength
    +35 Damage Avoidance
    +45% Aggro Boost

And all that Pre-Enchants, for a nice possibility of +60 Strength from a BELT... This is the kind of stuff that breaks balance, an item like this has no place, and needs to be toned down. Rumors are this is supposed to be a tank belt, but Strength should not be considered a tank stat, as it increases Damage a lot. Things like Health, Resistance, Block, Dodge, those are the things that should be on a belt like that.

necronut, StarLord and Sorgin Txakal like this.
  16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Probably would have been prudent. It is weird how the devs will deny players something for the long term health of the game one moment, then go around hot-shotting the next. Can't take the RNG out of crafting because then everyone will gave top level equipment, but oh, have some artifacts! What, artifacts are killing player made equipment? Well, let's make 'em repairable, enchantable and upgradeable!

17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

D'oh!

Did that go in when I was on hiatus? Is it all belts now?

And is that one a spider queen drop?

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  18. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I don't know if all belts, but my Sage's Sash and my Spider Silk both have enchants on them!

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  19. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Savage Sash of Swiftness too, and more.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  20. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

As far as I know the Faerie Belt is the only item in that slot that can't be enchanted, though none can be masterworked. From what Chris has said on stream about the Belt of the Dedicated being an item for folks dedicated to melee, those who shun magic entirely, and the fact that Paladis White Wine increases fizzle chance, I think the signs are being inverted on these items. Beyond that, the -50% Fizzle Rate doesn't scale on combine. There are some beneficial attributes of artifacts that don't scale on combine (especially on wands/staffs) but none of the detrimental effects do.

I'm hoping we'll soon see the belt modified to increase fizzle chance by 50% rather than reduce it, which would give it some sort of balance.

Violet Ronso likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.