1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugs… QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] Mouse seems to be getting stuck for a few seconds every 30 secs or so

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by jack102367, Jun 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jack102367

jack102367 Avatar

When I move my mouse around it stops responding for a few seconds then starts working again. It seems to happen when other things are open like inventory or loot chest.

Anpu likes this.
  2. Toular

Toular Avatar

Mine does that too sometimes. It has been better lately. I believe it's related to the "hitch" that plagues most of us. I have a wireless trackball and I've found that if I power cycle the trackball (it has a power switch on the bottom) that particular problem goes away for a while. For me it seems to not have anything to do with in-game activity, but of course I notice it a lot more during combat.

Interestingly that particular problem seems to come and go. It has not been a problem for me in at least a week.

3. jack102367

jack102367 Avatar

Agreed.........this seems to be a problem, sometimes when I play. Other times, I have no problem and then the next day BAM! I'm having issues.

4. Toular

Toular Avatar

It's really bad today. I can usually manage to "get by" by using keyboard controls when the mouse doesn't work, but the left/right keys "[" and "]" also are not working well.

Last night it also got bad. I know it's a problem deep within the bowels of the hardware abstraction because when it gets really bad it even affects weapon charging. I usually use a bow and charge to at least 6 (my ranged is 109); but when it gets bad my character will let loose after maybe 3, despite my mouse button being solidly held down.

So, since both weapon charging and camera orientation are controlled by he right mouse button, it seems that the problem is that the game loses "awareness" of the mouse button(s). That tends to implicate something amiss in the hardware abstraction.

Going to reboot after I finish one more "loop" in the Elysium Mines for silver and see if a fresh boot helps.

5. Toular

Toular Avatar

I'm not actually sure this is truly a Sota bug. One thing I've noticed, and just now "confirmed" is that it seems to be the "way" I hold the right mouse button down. If I use the mouse the was it's designed to be used - by applying most of the pressure to the mouse button way down at the "end" of the button it does the "erratic" thing, but if I push the button down up by the "hinge" of the button it generally works fine. Why it would work fine one day, then totally not the next day however makes my question my analysis - and that I only see this behavior in the game.

Oh, and rebooting made no difference.

6. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

This is most likely part of the underlying hitching, however I still would be curious as to how much ram your rigs have and what videos cards (with how much RAM they have).

The underlying hitching is present for sure, but insufficient resources will exasperate the issue... Like having 8GB of system RAM which will force windows to page out to media since the OS and SotA combine get very close to 8GB together.

Main things to note:

System RAM (minimum of 12GB)
    HDD Type (SSD highly recommended, M2 NVME preferred) - Legacy Spindle/platter drives will significantly impact the player experience
    Video Card. (Do not use an Integrated GPU - like "Intel® HD Graphics") - Using a video card with more RAM will improve the hitching to some degree (prevents reloading of the graphics too often)

I suspect that most of the players in SotA today exceed the levels I noted above, so please understand I post this mainly as a reminder for anyone coming across this thread. But you never know, one of these items may be impacting you as well.

7. jack102367

jack102367 Avatar

My rig has:
    Intel i7-8700K CPU
    32GB RAM
    ASUS ROG GTX 1080 ti STRIX-GTX1080TI-11G-GAMING 11GB video card
    Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2 NVME

My mouse seems to disappear too at times it seems. Wish there was a way to make the pointer different colors and bigger.

8. Toular

Toular Avatar

I have been dealing with this off and on for the past couple of years. I use a wireless trackball and finally decided to mix things up and swap out for an "old" wired trackball I had laying around. The problem seems to have gone away (the mouse glitching, not the game hitching). So at least now when I move the "mouse" while holding down the right button my character actually turns.

So, I guess the thing here is, do those that have this problem use a wireless mouse/trackball? If so, try using a wired version.

9. Ravalox

This is interesting ... I have used a Logitech wireless mouse for at least 10 years and have had little issue with it, except when playing MMOs (including ESO). At one point I purchased a SteelSeries Sensei ... it was wired/wireless and had a utility that allowed me to change the poll timing ... After setting it up for some extremely 'high' numbers (polls per ms, I think it was) wireless worked great! Sadly, I am left-handed and the Sensei did not "feel right" so I switched to an Ambidextrous Razer Taipan.

I have noted some issues with the frequency in which Unity gives up CPU clicks to check for other things waiting for attention (such as mouse movement). Basically, I think there are some program loops that do not include the check for other processes trying to use the CPU. which will cause the game to keep control and other things on the computer suffer. (This can be seen in the way Unity games shutdown. after quitting we have to wait for the game to do garbage cleanup and eventually restore control to the OS. During this period (loop) Unity is not doing the OS pending process call and thus it appears to hang at shutdown.

Long story to say nothing really. :p

Bottom line, I think the mouse issues aren't directly related to the hitching but due to the Unity part, are making it worse. The true fix for this is a change in the Unity code that we do not have access to. We can put work arounds in place, but still will have issues here and there. Hoping to be able to delve into these type of things as we move forward, and improve the responsiveness.

10. Ravalox

I'll make note of the different color and size mouse pointer. This may be something we can implement.

Aldo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.