Taming/Switching/Recovery

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DalTXColtsFan, Nov 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

So I finally got around to playing around with taming creatures. I tamed and then summoned an Elder Timber Wolf. The ETW fought for me (even against other timber wolves) and then died. I then tamed an Obsidian Bear. I then tried to SUMMON the Obsidian Bear that I tamed but the chat window said "You are not ready to use this skill yet".

I did find this link: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...taming-skills-updated-current-release.112216/

In particular it says that the Refresh skill is how long you have to wait before summoning a creature again. I'm guessing this is why I was unable to summon the Obsidian Bear right away.

I'm guessing that if you have "Resurrect Creature" you can resurrect a dead pet instead of waiting to re-summon - correct?

If I summon a second animal (like the Obsidian Bear) does that automatically replace the previously-summoned creature (the elder timber wolf)?

Once I have an Obsidian Bear tamed and tied to my taming necklace/whistle will I be able to summon it anywhere, even in a dungeon or any overland area that isn't normally populated by Obsidian Bears?

I'm looking forward to having an Obsidian Bear fighting by my side! There were more advanced creatures listed in the article above but I haven't found them through the natural course of the game yet. I'll worry about summoning those when I get there.

EDIT: I just skimmed the magic trees but I didn't see any spells that could summon lower-level creatures lower than the four elementals or the phoenix. Did I miss any spells that can summon creatures outside of taming?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  2. Ebon Hawk

Ebon Hawk Avatar

Couple of thoughts. 1. In order to summon your tamed pet immediately you need to have your refresh skill at 122. 2. Be sure to raise Pet Speed, Pet Strength, Frenzy, Combat Training, Pet Taunting, Pet attack Precision and Pet toughness to at least 130. Mine range from 140 t0 145. I'll continue to raise. Be sure feed them "Pet Food" Various pets can serve different purpose. Night mares are great in ERG. Razorback Destroyer, are a really good tank. when you have a high taunt training, it is very similar to a Heavy Armour Taunt skill. As a fire mage, I send Hambone in, let the mob engage the Razorback, then I load up with my Fire skills. Same with my Ranger. You need to have the taming armor. (Belt, Head, Gloves, Feet and Rings. You can buy them at the market vendors, but are very expensive. I Go to South Drachvald Spur, and go to the North Entrance. Drops are slow. Also you will need to raise Tame Creature skill to 140, in order increase you taming ability to tame Nightmares, Razorback Destroyers and Obsidian Destroyer .(You will need a group to tame these three) Start with low level creatures and gradually build up to higher level. All of this takes time. Bottom line, my Range or my Fire mage can solo most single mob with 30K health. My razor back can solo 2 Razorback Destroyers and same time. Bottom line, I love taming. Taming melds well with Rangers and Fire mages. Hope this has help. Be safe and have fun.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Be sure to scare @DalTXColtsFan into thinking that he needs to pump at least 45 million experience into each skill in order to be effective. :rolleyes:

FrostII and Violet Ronso like this.
  4. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

That rolleyes smiley is just as effectve as <sarcsasm /> tags LOL!

I'm too honored to be the person to whom he responded as his first post to nitpick like that!

Besides, I play offline - COTA FTW! WOOT!

Barugon likes this.
  5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

To be a great fire mage, what do you recommend the skills to be at? Mine are all at 100 (except Fire speed and highly flammable at 120) and fire spac at 80. I seem to not be able to kill things with 30K hp. What skill am I missing? Maybe I am just too old and slow. ;)

Also, when I battle razorback destroyers I cannot live long enough for my razorback to kill one. Any tips?

I am glad you love taming. It still is my most favorite thing in SotA.

6. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

Here's a separate yet related question: I tried to cast Resurrect Creature (which is still level 1) and it said I had less than a 1% chance of resurrecting my Elder Timber Wolf. I tried over and over again and of course it failed every time, but my concren is, the spell never levelled up. Is it supposed to only level up when it successfully resurrects a creature? If so, that could take hours if not days of sitting there casting the spell over and over.

There's gotta be a better way to level up Resurrect Creature - no?

7. Duke Gréagóir

If my memory serves me right use a pet with a lower chance like a chicken or normal wolf.

8. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

I just wanted to note two things with resurrect creature in case not one had mentioned them to you yet...

First off you only have a limited time to resurrect your pet. There is a 5 minute timer. If you hover over the necklace on your paper doll you can see how much time is remaining. And you at least used to need to remain in the scene to rez it, though that might have changed (but you can be anywhere in that scene, you do not have to stand by the body)

Secondly I am often shown that I have a less than 1% chance at resurrecting my pet, but at just level 40 it NEVER fails as long as I am within that scene and window, and not interrupted of course. (There is even a bug right now that it works without the listed reagents)

StarLord and Anpu like this.
  9. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

Are you supposed to be able to summon your tamed animal anywhere? I'm getting a lot of failures ("Your call goes unanswered") I think is the message. I've tried with an Elder Timber Wolf and simpler Brown Bear.

Also, when I resurrect them, they blink and then disappear again. I thought maybe they had few hit points and got re-killed but even when they're safe it happens.

Am I doing something wrong?

10. Yumorist

Yumorist Avatar

Problems with calling Pets are possible near the entrances to the location and some places on it. Flickering and fading is more of an iron technical problem.

11. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

So far I'm not having a lot of luck/success with taming. I'm having a much easier time summoning elementals (so far I've only summoned the water elemental but he's definitely helpful). Is taming really "worth it" compared to elemental and (eventually) phoenix summoning?

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Some summoned creatures are better than others. The air elemental is probably the worst: it has bad defenses and one basic attack that is broken and does nothing.

High level tamers can inflict much more damage with their pets than can be done using summoned creatures. However, it takes a lot of work to get all the taming skills to that level and to actually tame the badass creatures that do the big damage.

DalTXColtsFan and Anpu like this.
  13. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

Admittedly, my question was a bit loaded and unfocused. In the future I'll try to give more specific information than "I'm having trouble with it".

At present I'm using the water elemental. It's fun. He's not a war machine but he does damage and attracts attention. I'll keep working on taming and ask more specific and actionable questions when I next get stuck.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The water elemental's best attribute is that he will heal you. If you have water specialization, that healing can be 250+ points each time. And, with water specialization, the water elemental is also nearly immune to fire damage.

Rentier likes this.
  15. Duke Gréagóir

that healing can be 250+ points each time?? DANG! :D Maybe I just need fire as a backup and use water as my magic spec with the slow ice abilities. Rethinking.

Barugon likes this.
  16. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

OK, so questions:

1. Once I equip a Taming Necklace and then tame a specific animal with it, is that necklace supposed to be permanently associated with the specific animal I tamed? The reason I ask is I feel like once I either unequip it or save the game or wait a day or 2 or go to a different zone (I haven't fully quantified the replication triggers), that if I later re-equip the necklace and try to summon the animal it says, "You must tame an animal with this necklace first". It *does* work if I find an animal, target it and tame it, but I thought that once a necklace was associated with a specific animal it was PERMANENTLY so.

2. Is there supposed to be a limit on how often you can summon animals in a given day? Again, I haven't fully quantified the triggers, but I feel like the FIRST time I tame an animal it works, but then every time I SUMMON the animal (i.e. after the animal dies and I can't resurrect it or after I summon a water elemental and then want to go back to the animal), the animal appears for a second and disappears. Is that what's supposed to happen?

Let me know if any additional information is needed to answer the questions.

Thanks as always
    DalTXColtsFan Dragon

17. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

Have you fought Riei Firefeather yet? I'm thinking I'd LOVE to have a high-level water elemental at my side that can heal me and is almost immune to fire against THAT thing regardless of whether or not I go with it anywhere else.

18. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

A pet is only associated with a necklace until the pet perma dies. As I said in a message above, if the pet dies you have about 5 minutes to rez it (and at least in the past you could not leave the scene). After that point you need to tame another pet into the necklace.

The cooldown between summoning your pets is dependent on your Refresh skill. Once you get that to 120 there is no cooldown. You can see the amount left in your cooldown by hovering over an icon under your name. I'm not sure what you are seeing with a pet appearing for a second then disappearing though.

Anpu likes this.
  19. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

Still struggling. As you can see in the screenshot, I've tamed an Elder Timber Wolf. I pointed to it and hit TAB which should have it targeted. I'm casting "Resurrect Creature" over and over and it's not resurrecting the dead pet elder wolf.

Am I missing something? Doing something wrong?

[​IMG]

20. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

If you get a chance, see if you can replicate it: Equip a taming necklace, tame a creature, summon an elemental, then summon the creature again. It's happening fairly reliably for me.

Anpu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.