1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Universal Vendor Search without prices

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Echondas, Oct 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Please incorporate a way to search all player vendors for an item, and show the town location and player name/vendor name but do NOT include the price.

Thanks

2. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

-
    I would prefer to have the vendor search be town and/or region based, not universal; and to have the prices included in the search.

A lot of further discussion in these threads:

Vendor goods search function
    Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by StarLife, Jan 2, 2020.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/vendor-goods-search-function.161172/

Shroud 2020 Vision
    Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Jan 6, 2020.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/shroud-2020-vision.161221/

The Grand Bazaar (Universal Vendor Search)
    Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Kabalyero Kidd, Feb 22, 2020.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-grand-bazaar-universal-vendor-search.162089/

Simple Town Market Vendor NPCs
    Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by that_shawn_guy, Feb 28, 2020.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/simple-town-market-vendor-npcs.162244/

Please Do Not Add Vendor Search Through Lua
    Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wilfred, Apr 8, 2020.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-do-not-add-vendor-search-through-lua.162963/

CrandalltheFoole likes this.
  3. CICI

CICI Avatar

Universal Vendor Search with prices (Make us go to the vendor to buy it!) Their is no point to NOT show prices.... with 400 plus towns it can be time consuming to find one item!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    kaeshiva, Cordelayne, FrostII and 5 others like this.
  4. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I think my idea is a good starting point and compromise for everyone involved - and could be refined as the game evolves.. prices could come later.. or a price range.. or NEVER.. but we need to get our feet wet.

FrostII, Gravidy, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

With or without prices, it needs to be universal. If it's town based then you still have the hassle of having to visit each town and suffer through the loading screens in order to conduct search. It would also eliminate the idea that everyone could participate in the economy as people would only visit established market towns in order to find their desired items (the reason that some people argue in favor of the town based search). Global search gets a very enthusiastic thumbs up from me while town based search gets an absolute thumbs down.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    CrandalltheFoole, FrostII and Gravidy like this.
  6. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

A vendor search without price info would be rather tedious, because you would have to go to every vendor listing the item, write down the price at each vendor, and then go back to the vendor with the lowest price to make the purchase. For common items, you might have to run to multiple vendors in every town.

Whereas with a town or region search that includes price info, you would only have to search each town or region once.

Any vendor search implementation should definitely include the price and quantity information.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm all for it but I believe that including the price information would simply spur a race to the bottom. If everyone's okay with that then do it, it just needs to be global.

Gravidy likes this.
  8. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Including price info would not spur a race to the bottom.
    However, it would allow prices to adjust quickly to changes in supply and demand.
    Responsive prices are a very good thing, but may be a bit of a shock to any vendors that are currently price gouging. :)

Another benefit of a town or regional system is that it would create gathering points in each town or region.
    Since players would have to come to the town or regional crier to check prices,
    those areas would become hubs of activity, sort of like the banks in UO.

Fister Magee likes this.
  9. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

-
    Here are the most recent vendor search updates from the past few Twitch streams:

----------

Friday October 23rd Stream - Q&A with Atos and Ravalox!
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/779619106

4:41 cathy888: !question
    Could we maybe get a vendor search option in game?

Chris and Ravalox responded at about 00:58:35:

Chris: That's one we've talked about. That one is a fairly sizeable, that one's probably going to happen. I don't think its going to happen this next release. WizardSmoke would be the best guy to do that, and he has a ton, he's one of the guys that feels like he's trying to compete with me for most bugs on his plate. Who had the most bugs?

Ravalox: Ah, WizardSmoke.

Chris: I think that's 'cause people gave up on putting stuff on my plate, 'cause they knew, you know I had so many things that were high priority.

Ravalox: Yeah, I started shifting things over to you a little bit, though.

Chris: OK. Alright, well anyways that's on his, that is one I want to get in there, but it does take a little more work.

Ravalox: Yeah, and let's not forget that December is a short month as well, a short release for us because of the holiday, so technically I think this next month's bug release month will spill over into December probably a little bit.

----------

Friday November 6th Stream - Q&A with Atos!
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/794165670

22:19 Royou_Spirituality_Dragon: !question
    can we get a vendor search in game, it would make it so much easier when looking for items
    - Not answered on stream

----------

November 13 - Friday stream with JUST ATOS! Rapid fire Q&A starting at 4PM.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/801942854

10:40 xrossfirebugseye: !question
    any chance to get a list of vendors on the town crier
    - Not answered on stream

----------

FrostII, Time Lord and Echondas like this.
  10. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

-
    @wizardsmoke, A vendor search system without prices is much better than nothing.
    But if vendor search is put in the game without prices, most players will be begging to have prices added.
    So if you put in the system without prices initially, please design the system so prices can easily be added later.

Cordially,
    Wilfred

----------

Gravidy and Echondas like this.
  11. CICI

CICI Avatar

Vendor search system with prices ///Must go to the vendor to buy the item/// (within the same town will work for now!)
    Thank You Game dev's =-D

12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Update the UI or it doesn't matter at all.

Anyone ever noticed how the Crown Store is the only actual nice and functional UI in game? Weird, right?

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well having prices defeats the purpose. The main point of global vendor search is to know where the items are. I am still in favor of global so all towns get included in the selling. We might as well get a forced price amount like black desert has if that is happening. We don't need to show pricing imo. Let us explore still and check it out. We have fast travel ability and a mailing system for sellers and buyers to use as well. Let's spend time on improving load times and crashes more instead. Showing prices is in a way micromanaging it seems.

14. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

if pricing is not listed whats to stop me putting up 1 of every single item listed for 10 million gold just to get people to come browse the stores?

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Absolutely nothing but do you really think people will hang around and browse after your ruse?

16. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

The more realistic and worrisome outcome is sellers listing items 10% or 20% above the market price and hoping that players will buy anyways after running all the way to their vendor.

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  17. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Universal vendor search without prices, yes pls. Zone and regional vendor, with prices. Yes.

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Of course we need the price listed
    [​IMG]
    49 seasons of shows can't be wrong! ;)

Wilfred and FrostII like this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Isn't gouging what already happens in "market" towns?

Dawgs of War and FrostII like this.
  20. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

-
    Just to be clear, access to accurate up-to-date prices is really beneficial for sellers as well.

As a seller, when I am not able to easily determine the market price, I worry that I may accidently price items to high, and players will think I am trying to price gouge (and stuff will sit on my vendor forever without selling), or I may accidentally price items to low, and someone will buy my stuff, immediately relist it at a higher price, and get the profit that I should have gotten.

I look forward to being able to stop by the town crier (maybe several town criers if I'm selling a rarer item), look at the sale prices and purchase order prices for the items I want to sell, and then go list my items for sale at an appropriate price on my vendor.

----------

Prices are also the best way to encourage the most desired activities.
    Say I want to spend an evening mining, and sell the ore to get some gold in my bank account.
    Should I go mine silver, gold, iron, or copper?
    Or would I be better off harvesting wood instead?

Right now, it is rather difficult to determine which gathering activities will bring the best return.

I really look forward to being able to head over to the town crier, check to see which ores are selling for the best price, look to see what other items are in demand, check the purchase orders to see what items players are paying high prices for, (and whether the beetle price is slightly more or less crazy than usual :)). Then I can spend my evening gathering whatever items are most profitable.

----------

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.