What are you guys Waiting for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by City Slicker, Oct 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Did you bug report this?

2. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

I'm not sure what would bring me back at this point. Some thoughts though:
    • Transparency from Garriott and Spears.
    • The end of the eternal grind: a hard cap so that new players or part time players could actually compete in PVP at some point and craft things at a competitive level.
    • Larger scenes with more engaging content. Mobs that weren't able to be solo'd by certain players so that there would be a need for grouping and community.
    One can hope.

3. Mhtic700R

Mhtic700R Avatar

+1

Should of been done ages ago!

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

• For transparency of the future or what they're doing, you don't need Richard or Chris, you need a psychic, because about the only thing we don't know about them is color of under ware they most prefer.
    • Hard-capping would greatly diminish offline play as well as hindering many other expanding content's future.
    • More engaging content = you're bored... More grouping = You're lonely...
    I play more than one game, which solves most of my frustrations with crowd funded's slow inherent development.
    Maybe that solution will work for you as it has for me. I don't think it's sinful or somehow bad for any game not to hold one's 24 hour gaming attention.

This sort of realism is greatly needed due to it's immersion deepening "caring" about the mount, instead of it becoming a tool, as in the disappearing thing.

Please don't hurt my mules!
    [​IMG]

I also wish that if you can't tame it, you shouldn't be riding it, and risking riding it into a dangerous place should have the same consequences as taking any tamed pet into a hostile environment.
    ~TL~

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    majoria70 likes this.
  5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Did you notice that those plants are not cotton?

6. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

• Transparency is about SeedInvest. No news since the money was dumped into Port. We haven't been treated as investors.
    • Hard-capping - Do you know anyone that plays online except to explore dev areas? I don't. Do you play an MMO to play solo?
    • Engaging content - The current quest system has improved, but it doesn't last. Little fiction has been added in recent times. As far as lonely, only in game. There's very few people around anymore. People who can solo most all of the content are game breakers. Grouping used to be an import part of the game.

Vox Aquila, ephialtes, Aldo and 3 others like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Not everyone wants to group or even group all the time. Sometimes we might vant to be alone in a multi online game. There should be something for everyone as this game is possible to be played many ways. Not one person gets a say in how that goes.

Cyin, Wilfred, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek:MMO?:confused:I'm still looking for the RP part:DSeedInvest:)I got my golden armor and deluxe greenhouse golden condo:pbut I'm sure the seed part died :oops: we'd had done better with the psychic :rolleyes:

o_O They should have taken me up on the idea of making the stock virtual so we could have gotten virtual dividends :( as it is, they never even made into the "penny stock news bulletin" ;) Elite Dangerous/WW2Online/SOTA:cool:~TL~

9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Please don't throw your net too wide. I have been solo since inception, don't like grouping, but for sure don't hold a grudge against groupers. We all signed on to the game as it was promised and those who are left are finding it difficult to give up hope. I agree with most of the negativity about our game, but give a wide patient berth to Catnip who took on the chore to keep the game going on a shoestring. I am not convinced that the present crew is determined to abandon either the solo player, the group player or the rp player. It's just that the shoestring is too short. Hope is cheap. It doesn't cost anything to hang around and perhaps jump back in if you catch a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel.

Astirian, Wilfred, majoria70 and 2 others like this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I agree, Chris and Catnip are doing a great job!... "on a budget!" But free to play games do make allot of $$$ as they develop, if they're development design is quality made to expand, which SOTA is a fine example of!

Chris once said he could keep SOTA going even on as little as $50 a month. I don't doubt that, but I do doubt SOTA's revenue will ever fall that low. Chris is no slouch in the computer field, so I have full confidence in his ability to have SOTA survive even if he ever had to take on extra jobs outside of our game. He's a programing genius and well in demand. SOTA also will always carry Lord British's eyes and aide to it as well as Darkstarr. Those two gaming giants would never "ever" allow their baby, carrying their reputations to ever go under!

As a player, I see SOTA as a car buff may see their pet car project they work on and invest in that sits in their garage. "It's my hobby investment" and I love my hobby :D
    As far as seedinvest, that was cheaper than a tax free city lot and well worth the value I still have from it in the form of very gaudy golden things :p~TL~

Wilfred, Violet Ronso and Aldo like this.
  11. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

[QUOTE="As a player, I see SOTA as a car buff may see their pet car project they work on and invest in that sits in their garage. "It's my hobby investment" and I love my hobby :D
    As far as seedinvest, that was cheaper than a tax free city lot and well worth the value I still have from it in the form of very gaudy golden things :p~TL~
    [/QUOTE]

You can get more. Mine are for sale.

12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Meaningful progress each play session or the ability to work toward goals - eliminate reliance on random luck and reward long-term play (player retention).
    Less reliance on / significance to combat and more development on other activities as a means of progression.

majoria70, Wilfred and Time Lord like this.
  13. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

There are so many parts of this game i enjoy but are extremely lacking... to be specific pvp and crafting. But also an overhaul to the player vendor ui is just so necessary at this point its almost laughable. Should have been done so long ago. The lack of player vendor options is the biggest reason why I'm playing other games more at the moment.

14. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

I spent a good portion of the last significant amount of time I invested in SOTA doing rounds of bosses for loot and after many runs and days and days of frustration at another random artifact I will never use, I stopped. Apart from camping a Ringmasters Vest, which was the most fun I'd had in game for some time because I knew where something I wanted dropped and what it dropped from. The anticipation of clicking on the mob and hoping took me back to playing Classic EQ. That anticipation, tension and often ultimately disappointment when you loot is something this game is missing. I felt totally unrewarded for my time spent as someone who doesn't want loads of gem fragments or yet another artifact aimed at crafting or gathering.

My character progression also stalled. Both skills and itemisation. At some point it becomes so painful to level skills without a high grind that it became boring. Coupled with the loot I felt my progression stopped. Adding increasingly difficult scenes is not the answer for progression unless they are all scaled well for people who solo and have a normal time investment to play the game. Also what's the point of going into the scene's when all you often get is some change and wax.

So to beat a few dead horses on what am I waiting for? More meaningful rewards for my time for someone who is not as invested in the sim life stuff. A combat balance, preferably in the form of some sort of harder stat and skill cap like UO, coupled with scaling difficulty in scenes to reflect my challenge needs.

Aldo and Cordelayne like this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree it is more difficult to make fun, meaningful, and rewarding loot as well for this game. I have been replaying Divinity Original Sin 2 and the loot is so much fun in that game. Making good loot craftable only really put a damper on loot ideas since crafters will stifle any chance of having anything not crafted created. Even the idea to make armor, accessories, weapons upgradeable only from crafters did not appease this. I know there are some ideas that would be fun but most require a new system. For example the eggs you found in Runes of Magic that you could grow up into a pet. Well now that would be a whole new system to create. It was pretty fun though. So anyway hopefully treasure hunting will be fun and not just blah blah blah and grind away but rich with details and lore and digging animation to pull up a chest of different varieties depending on map level. Think message in a bottle maps and map pieces, pieces of burnt maps spawning from a campfire with a clue or quest possibly. Anyway lots of ideas have been posted around of fun loot but nothing but the usual gold, and hard to get artifacts, gems, resources etc, same old, same old loot come in. Just more, more, more of the same old same old is not better imo. we want surprises, check out other games for fun loot or of course community post your fun ideas here and @Elgarion to get them noticed. Cheers and happy Thanksgiving all. :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Wilfred, Elgarion and Cordelayne like this.
  16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah the issue with loot from my perspective is not how much you get but rather, the massive amount of stuff that is in a global drop table relying on extremely low chances. Even for the localized stuff, the drop chances are extremely low. You either get it, or you get nothing, and there's no in between, leading to hours and hours (or days/weeks) of repeated frustration and you are no closer to your goal. There's nothing you can do about it, either. In early days this wasn't as much of an issue but with artifacts being build-defining best-in-slot, needing a specific one (or dozens of that same specific one due to combinability, which is where stuff really started to go downhill...) and then needing to pass more RNG checks to actually not botch the crafting ...you just reach a point of frustration.

The localized drops are better, but still bad, considering how many you need. I know I personally spent hundreds of hours farming destroyer creatures with all the proceeds going to a single tamer and never managed to assemble a single legendary - we'd often have an entire evening of 5-6 hours play yield nothing at all. You're left with the distaste of grind gold and buy it or accept not having it. There's no other reliable way to progress. After months, people get tired of logging in and doing the same thing for the same frustrating result. There's little excitement about new things like treasure maps because the assumption is its going to be more of the same. Whenever I think about logging in these days I'm left with this hollow feeling of pointlessness. I guess part of the issue is there's no "consolation prizes" and often the stuff you do loot barely pays for regs/repairs. Its not like "I didn't get the shiny I wanted but I got these few other things that are okay" its "I got zilch" and often even the experience isn't great. The fun factor is nonexistent - killing the same thing over and over hoping to win the lotto -this- time is not fun.

17. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I think this part of your statement really sums things up well. At least for me.

I'm not strong enough to solo many bosses but I can some. If I didn't get the item that I was hoping for, thats OK, so long there was something else besides a rusty spoon, 24 gold and gem fragments.

As you appropriately pointed out, the fun factor is completely gone. I haven't logged in for awhile and probably won't anytime soon because...why?

18. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

@kaeshiva Your point is actually an answer to a question I had : what slight changes to loot could make different zones worth visiting? By going through all artifacts and making then drop from specific mobs or zones, like Bandit gear, Tamer gear or most of the newer artifacts. This could help in terms of at least you could grind for a specific one. This has been done a lot more lately and has been going on for a while, but by going back through the older artis and putting them in older zones this could help a lot, heck make the common versions drop more frequently instead of uncommon ones to counter the more precise influx, I wouldn't mind that slight change, and leave supply bundles like they are. Will it solve everything? Clearly not, but will it help a little? Yeah, I'm sure it would, if I know the only source for a Frozen tear is off supply bundles or water elementals, I will for sure find a scene with a good quantity of water elementals. Maybe make Taming Artifacts more creature specific (ex.: can only get wolf helm off Lupine Destroyers), this could fix the Taming Arti randomness as well!

Wilfred, Cordelayne and kaeshiva like this.
  19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I think that would be a start, but only a bare minimum. Mostly, it would give people reasons to visit different scenes, rather than really make loot better.

I had typed up a whole long indictment of the loot system, and some potential fixes. But it's all been said before, and is at most band aids when we need tourniquets. The reality is, I don't think we're getting a good loot system with out ripping out everything, from artifacts to crafting, and starting from scratch. And I don't think that's going to happen, either.

Vladamir Begemot and kaeshiva like this.
  20. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, I think that would go a long way, as would bumping the drop rate on commons. Considering you need what, 128 of them to get a 'finished' artifact it wouldn't be unreasonable to get a few a night and slowly work your way up. Incremental progress toward a goal would go a long way toward making each play session feel like it wasn't a complete waste of your time. "Getting lucky" could be getting an uncommon or even a rare, and should have the extremely low chance of happening that you'd expect - sure, I have no problem with there being rare jackpots. Just sucks when that's all there is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.