1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Player Test Environment (QA Server) issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /devbug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)

[Need Info] Mistrendur overworld - its only raining over my avatar (rain on overworld?)

Discussion in 'World Building, Scenes, Environment, & Overworld' started by Rinaldi, Aug 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

08/22/2020 12:03
    Title: Msitrendur - is only raining over my avatar (rain on overworld?)
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? no
    Details: i teleported to zone into spindlskog (normal), then walked out of spindleskog onto misterndur and it was raining, but there were no clouds in the sky, and it was raining only in the area immediately surrounding my avatar and not in the entire island (is rain supposed to occur on the overworld?). This "aura" of rain follows me as i move around the overworld. Also, while panning the camera, the rain drops shoots sideways. See pictures below. Then i entered into tanglemire, and there was no rain in tanglemire. but when i exited to the overworld (mistrendur) again, the rain re-appeared around my avatar,.
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 32708
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 GPU RAM: 8088
    SotA.QA.Win.64.1056.Date.08.21.20
    Area: Episode_2_Continent
    Area Display Name: Mistrendur
    Loc: (-223.9, 11.6, 74.6)
    Debug: RXBpc29kZV8yX0NvbnRpbmVudHx8KC0yMjMuOTM5LCAxMS41NiwgNzQuNTgyKXwoMCwgLTAuNTEzLCAwLCAtMC44NTkpfDI3Mi4xODExfDE4LjE0MzMzfDQw

raining only in the area immediately around my avatar
    [​IMG]

rain shoots sideways when pan camera (this pic taken while panning)
    [​IMG]

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

rain is always drawn locally in just in a cube over your own character and not throughout the whole scene. it's just that, in normal zones, your camera doesn't go far enough out to see its edges (unless you're slewing). if they want to have rain on overworlds (which i like!) they might have to make the box bigger or limit the camera some.

the rain shooting sideways when the camera pans is likewise not a new phenomenon but is perhaps more noticeable on the overworld.

here's me slewing in the rain in stinging tree:
    [​IMG]

3. Vas Corp Por

Vas Corp Por Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

SLEW will break stuff. Rain on cameras is how 99.9% of video games make rain. Rain following you from the zone to the overworld does seem like a bug. Thanks

4. Alley Oop

clarification: i was slewing to demonstrate, but rinaldi was not in the initial report.

Anpu likes this.
  5. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Not sure this helps, but i thought i would add it: this is occurring on the live server too.

I took the galleon from aerie to mistrendur, and when arrived in mistrendur, itis raining on the overworld again (this time live server instead of QA):

08/26/2020 06:55
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 32708
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 GPU RAM: 8088
    SotA.Win.64.1269.Date.08.16.20
    Area: Episode_2_Continent
    Area Display Name: Mistrendur
    Loc: (174.7, 16.0, 42.7)
    Debug: RXBpc29kZV8yX0NvbnRpbmVudHx8KDE3NC43MDcsIDE2LjAwNywgNDIuNjY2KXwoMCwgLTAuMzY2LCAwLCAwLjkzMSl8MzI0Ljk5NTh8NDMuMzk3Mzh8NDA=

6. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Still present on release 81.

7. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

[Need more info] - I am unable to reproduce this one. To the best of my memory, I have never seen it rain on the overworld. By chance, were you using one of the GM Potions? Anything else you can think of that would trigger rain there? I tried one of the Kobold Umbrellas - no luck.

8. Alley Oop

it does rain on the mistrendur overworld. i've seen it many times. i didn't think that was a bug, but that was just a guess.

it doesn't rain in spindelskog. i don't think that's a bug either, since it has a special sky. ...so walking out of a dry spindelskog and having it be raining on the overworld is not a bug.

the first bug i see is that at that scale, with the rain box the size it is, he can see the edges of the box.

the second is that the clouds did not reflect the rainy state, which may have been a one-off glitch: i've always seen clouds when it rains in mistrendur.

the third possible one is that it wasn't raining in tanglemire, which doesn't have a special sky. i don't recall if i've ever seen it rain there.

9. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Almost every time I have logged in since the end of August 2020, it has rained on the misterender overworld (not always the entire time I am logged in tho).
    I was not using GM potion, I was not slewing, and I was not using healing rain.
    It occurred again today.
    I am not really sure what other information to give. there isn't anything I can think of that could trigger this.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Tazar likes this.
  10. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Just to cover the given:

The weather effects are occurring in a box around the player as they move through the game world (this is intended). I ma thinking this may be an adjustment we need to make due to the scale of the Mistrendur overworld (and the camera's pull back range), a handling of high UHD+ resolution on player monitors, or a mixture of both.

So, the info that will help in this case:

1. Does this occur for you when on Novia or Hidden Vale (when it is raining)
    2. What is the MAX resolution of your monitor?
    3. if not set to MAX, what is the resolution you have the game set to?

Sorry about delay in getting these questions out to you. If you want, we can meet up on Novia to test weather patterns :)

11. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

@Ravalox

I am not sure if rain on the overworld was intended. So, I am not sure which of the following is the actual bug:
    a) Rain should not be present on the overworld (so, the fix is to remove the rain), or
    b) The rain should be present, but the rain-field is too small so its edges can be seen when I zoom out (so, the fix is to make the rain-field edges not visible).

But, to answer your questions:
    1. Does this occur for you when on Novia or Hidden Vale (when it is raining)
    For me, rain on the overworld has only occurred on Mistrender (and not on novia or hidden vale). It still occurs on a regular basis (including today 11-29-2020), but not all the time.
    2. What is the MAX resolution of your monitor?
    1920 x 1080
    3. if not set to MAX, what is the resolution you have the game set to?
    Rain on the overworld and seeing the edges of the rain-field has occurred at the 2 resolutions that I have used: not max (1920 x 994 at 50Hz), and at max (1920 x 1080 at 60Hz)
    Here are the details for the rest of my settings:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  12. Alley Oop

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.