Air Shield users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Dec 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I tried to suggest in the bug report that instead of nerfing everyone, perhaps they could consider putting a cap on it but that apparently doesn't add useful information to the bug report, so it was deleted.

StarLord, FrostII, majoria70 and 2 others like this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

4. necronut

necronut Avatar

Bandit gear, masterworking, socketing, potions, and the bard tree are more to blame for this than Shield of Air.

• Bard = huge imbalance, reducing fights that used to last minutes to mere seconds. Anthem of Alacrity and Savage Sonata give me massive stat boosts, and archer's don't need to move to do HUGE damage by chunking down full stack bard buffs and turn themselves into stationary DPS woodchippers with enough agro to literally vacuum mobs into their quick and inevitable death.
    • Artifacts = big imbalance, stats on refining up to uncommon, rare, legendary, and epic need to be brought down. Crank out an Epic Tricorne and enjoy your 200% move speed bonus as a small example.
    • Masterworking and socketing = imbalance with artifacts... I can crank more dex and air attunement into my Bandit gear pushing my stats up.

Shield of Air is innocent. It's just hanging out with the wrong crowd.

My suggestion is to force bards to be unable to use weapons while barding. Simple. Hold instrument, play song, and basically function as a WoW Shaman totem for your party, and when soloing only passing those bard buffs onto your pet. Bards should not be able to attack while performing. Period.

5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

This a thousand times! This is the true fix to this bullcrap.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, except it will be Shield of Air to get the nerf hammer. Just like last time.

Snowdog likes this.
  7. necronut

necronut Avatar

One of my favorite streamers, and talking about a different game, and a bit low brow... but listen to him... really pay attention.

Fetid SirDidy likes this.
  8. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Regardless of anything else, air shield should obv be adjusted or changed in some way. It’s also not as if it only becomes unreasonable at 0 transfer rate.

A nerf doesn’t necessarily bother me. Just needs to be done thoughtfully and not just stomped.

9. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

They will look at it and see what needs to happen, don't get your pj bottoms in a knot just yet.

As to Bard its not required to become immortal but I do agree that bard should require instrument in hand to maintain buffs. I shared privately another 2 ways you can achineve the same as bard to make one immortal well in shield. Shield was nerfed back when I was air mage because of the same condition. They upped the Bar but didnt change the calculations which is why we have the issue once again.

Sorry if some of you are made about it but anything that makes you 100% immune from PVE side is a major bug.

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

True. But if past "fixes" are any indication, I don't think our fears are unwarranted.
    That's cheap and disingenuous. The issue isn't that we think people who can achieve a negative transfer rate should be immortal, and you know it. The issue is whether or not fixing that ruins the builds of casual players who can get it down to maybe .6 or .7 at best.

Barugon likes this.
  11. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I just had a theory and an idea, based on another bug report I discovered while testing the essentially invulnerability potential with air shield..

See this bug report:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...es-durability-loss-with-shield-of-air.166362/

To me, this indicates that gear is being calculated into the equation before the shield of air.. which is a bug, since the air shield is 'in front' of the gear..which is why it shouldn't take a durability hit.

Perhaps dodge/evasion is also being factored into the equation BEFORE the shield of air?

If this is the case, perhaps simply making sure the order of operations (insert math speak here) takes the shield of air into consideration before ANY other things, like gear, dodge, evasion, etc..

I have always envisioned Shield of Air as a 'bubble' around the player, but it seems like it's not quite working that way?

Wilfred and Xee like this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Thanks for putting into words exactly what I was thinking.

Cora Cuz'avich likes this.
  13. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

This would indeed fix a few of the regen issues for focus as dodge plays a major part for those that use the shield. If the shield is to absorb dmg before dodge, evade etc are calculated it would make the shield take damage every hit which solves a lot. As well they will have to fix is so that if you are being attacked well in the shield you stay in combat and unable to take advantage of stillness which is another issue.

Margaritte likes this.
  14. Echondas

I noticed that also, and bugged it.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The point of dodge is that your attacker completely misses. If you take damage even when you dodge then what's the point of dodge?

[edit] BTW, if you can achieve 0 focus transfer then dodge means nothing anyway. I stick by my idea that focus transfer should be capped.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  16. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

than the only real option is to cap the shield transfer portion? or adjust the curve. caping is the better option as it will only affect the top end. where curve would affect all players.

Wilfred and Barugon like this.
  17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Seeing what the mouseover tooltip says is one thing, making you un-killable by high end mobs is another.
    What mobs have you tested this on ?
    I'd love to see this "immortality" in action.

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If you can get focus transfer to zero then you effectively take no damage from anything other than falling.

19. Echondas

I kinda picture a hamster in a plastic ball.. the hamster can dodge all they want to from an attacker, but the plastic ball is still going to get hit first?

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Read the description of Shield of Air in the tooltip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.