Steam Reviews went up to VERY POSITIVE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harry Giannias, Dec 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I will check those out, @Anpu!

But what is unreliable about the other indicators?

I understand only a percentage of people play off of Steam, but unless a relatively higher proportion don't now as compared to before, it seems like a fairly reliable indicator.

My friends list is also pretty extensive. Even well after the peak, there would be at least 50 people logged in at any time I checked. What's changed?

2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Not exactly. Reagents that can be planted through agriculture can be bought for cheaper. Non-agriculture gathered reagents are also cheaper from player vendors, though gathering is still the worst way to get most of them. Serpent scales, for example, can only be found in any decent quantity from dragons and daemons. Black pearl is best found by killing sand elementals than harvesting oysters. Ash mostly comes from fire elementals, though if you farm the pit dragon in the Rise or the stag encounter dragon,you get get a fair amount.

So, gathered reagents do sell well, but actually gathering them out in the wild is not profitable, unless you want to kill stuff to do it.

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You can make a lot of gold collecting Beetle Carapace. That’s the most expensive harvested item in the game. And it can only be harvested.

I have made a significant amount of gold from that.

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  4. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

A fair review, @Grumpy Krabnevir ! I noticed neither excessive vitriol nor fawning. A somewhat promising sign.

Some follow-ups:

3. Tell me more about an effective earth/bludgeon build these days.
    4a. Jaan was never exactly "high end" and I would imagine she's probably "mid-level" by now. Incidentally, what kind of levels are people rocking these days?
    4b. I've already got many millions. Not looking to make a lot of money. Just enough to live on from an RP standpoint. My aim was to actually start out gathering resources for sale and working up from there. Viable?
    7. Is there any particular areas where players congregate these days? Other than grinding XP farms?
    9. Cool. But what I meant was more like, if I make critical comments about the game in the forum am I going to get pounced on by throngs of sycophants and have people troll-porting me to moderators who don't have the mental bandwidth to realize they might be being manipulated?

Jikininki likes this.
  5. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Hmm, kind of bummed to hear that. It's puzzled me from the very beginning why the devs didn't seem to take into consideration that some players might actually like to play the game that way.

It's like they spend all this time putting in a thoughtful tiered crafting system that seems clearly intended to make a space for some players (especially new and poor ones) to go out to lower level zones and gather things that other players (especially experienced and rich ones) would want to buy from them...

... and then set about gutting the whole thing by rendering it useless and a big waste of time.

6. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

It seems like such a trivial thing. On the one hand, why complain about it? But on the other- why not just FIX IT ALREADY?

Thanks for the deets @Time Lord. I hope you're doing well!

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

3. I don't do high end stuff or XP farming (like going to East Reach Gap). I mainly harvest and I use Bludgeon and Earth (Spec). It works great for that.

7. Many people still do gather for social events, like when Alleine sometimes hosts The Friday Beat of Novia from a players property and dance party. I always try to attend those (that's my favorite radio show). Also a lot of people sometimes gather in fishing groups due to the weekly Catnip Games sponsored weekly Fishing Event. Which has some nice rewards, every week....

4b. Gathering wood, gold, silver, nickle and tin ore and beetle carapace IS an actual viable way to make gold, and many many people do that. These resources are ALWAYS in demand.

9. As long as you are posting some opinion, and being constructive about it, I don't see why anyone would respond or jump at you. But do always know, YOUR opinion on something does not in any way shape or form reflect the opinion of others with this game.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I was not quite sure what you are referring to, but is your character experiencing some issue with a quest?

I am one of a few people here who are very very knowledgeable about the current quest system in the game. Is there something we can help with?

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, it's got a lot of dumb in it, that's for sure. I have no idea why they're so stingy with nodes for reagents, since they can already be purchased fairly cheaply from NPC vendors. Sure, it's supposed to be a gold sink, but we have lots of gold sinks already. Since they are already sold on NPC vendors, the value is never going to get above that, so it's not really a commodity anybody is going to make a fortune on. Doubling or tripling the number of nodes wouldn't break the economy. And even if it could, we''ll never know, because there's no economy to break...

Time Lord and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  10. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Yeah I hate when people give their opinions in such a fashion as to suggest they are speaking on behalf of so many others who supposedly agree with them without any actual evidence to back it up.

And unless somebody is being actively oppressed or something, not speaking up on their own behalf means their opinion doesn't count in my book.

In this forum, I speak for myself. And sometimes Jaan.

Thanks for all your help, @Anpu !

Sean Silverfoot, Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  11. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

"Deliver Gawain's Amulet" was (is?) an infamous starter quest from back before Highvale that could never be cleared out of the Journal.

I've got a few more lingering in there. I was trying my best to just ignore them and carry on with my life, but then somebody got the bright idea to put little sparklies in the compass. After then, they were a constant reminder of things left unfixed.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Something you may not know is that Sannio has spent a ton of time fixing a ton of bugs in this game for the last several years. I can confirm that after using my one time quest reset, I have finished all 3 outskirts and finished the chapter 1 main quest, and do not have a single stuck journal entry or any stuck blue markers on my character.

In comparison to how the game was at release, the quest system had tons of bugs. Currently however it’s in very good shape (there’s still a few lingering issues I’m helping to get addressed).

If you have your one time quest reset available, I would recommend you use it. That was the reason they gave everyone a free quest reset.

It seems like you have a very old account and you will unfortunately still probably have those stuck markers and journal entries. You can however use your quest reset to fix that.

Sean Silverfoot and Time Lord like this.
  13. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Yeah, I already used that a looooong time ago and then got the bugged quests all over again. Too early I guess.

This is a Royal Founder account. Originally not mine but I got it at a good price after... well... it's probably best we don't talk about that.

I will just go and see... maybe I can clear a lot of these now.

Once upon a time, I spent many hours dutifully logging bugs only to have one of the devs flat out deny that many of the bugs I had reported even existed, even though they were easy to replicate and others were complaining about them as well.

He challenged me to make a spreadsheet about it. Which I did. And then proceeded to continue to ignore the bugs and act like he didn't know what I was talking about.

Kind of weird to get gaslighted by a dev like that about bug reports.

Anyway, it wasn't Sannio. I didn't last too long after he got hired, but always seemed like a fine chap to me.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Anpu and Time Lord like this.
  14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Just know for now, Sannio is very good at getting any quest bugs addressed and fixed (if he can). I’ve spent over the last few years reporting tons of quest bugs and giving very specific information on where they are breaking and he has been fixing them all.

To be honest, I can’t thank Sannio enough. He has been doing an amazing job getting all those quest issues addressed. And let me tell you, it’s been a LOT.

15. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

OK here's some examples @Anpu.

Right now I'm in Aerie. I have a sparklie telling me to talk to the caretaker. I talk to the caretaker, and nothing seems to get the sparklie to go away.

There is also something about getting a key from Lord Drumplemouth. I found him but cannot see how to get a key.

Finally, my first Journal task says I need to talk to the archivist Lord Macsen about a document. I don't see the document in my inventory, nor do I see Lord Macsen anywhere.

Any help on these?

Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  16. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

3. Too much to cover here, but basically it is important to complement with the correct skills to maximize what you are after ie. damage, defense, etc. Beserker's stance is huge if you are tactics spec for extra crit damage, you should specialize in earth and tactics and then add the other appropriate skills to advance your str, dex, hit chance, crits damage etc. and then it is also important to gear up with the correct best pieces in each slot for your desired build. If you want to do a lot of damage a bludgeon, you aren't really going to be doing a lot of damage with your magic. Hard to be an effective melee and effective magic user at the same time. If you aren't looking to make bludgeon your the primary focus of your build, you should drop it altogether and just focus on magic. or vice-versa. You can hit me up in game or discord and jump in our channel for better explanations if you want.

4a. Personally, i'm level 137, but basically anything 125 or over starts to be very effective if your character is built/outfitted correctly
    4b. yes, viable, but important to educate yourself (as you have been doing) to make sure that you focus on the best gatherings to get the most gold the fasted, ie. ore, wood, beetles, and even growing reagents can be slightly profitable if you set up your garden area etc.
    7. No, not really, there's no real 'hangout' place unless you are attending a dance party that is being advertised
    9. Critical comments? yes, if your opinion is different than the approved group think and/or just simply rubs someone the wrong way, you stand a good chance of being singled out for reporting, and people will even go the extra mile to lie, insinuate, and generally just trash your character without even knowing you or taking the time to actually consider that you have just as much right to have an opinion as anyone else. There are certain groups of people who coordinate the 'reports' to make sure that the everyone gets the message that you are undesireable. It has happened over and over and over. It mimics real life to a T, but the sorta good news is, that with the exception of just a very small handful of people like myself (i'm always on thin ice and the only reason i'm still here is because i'm a stubborn SOB), everyone else has already been cancelled. That's why the forums are just mostly a hollow shell of an echo chamber. So, mostly go along to get along unless you really just don't give a **** like me.

As far as quests go: the best thing to do is simply use the available walk-thru guides to complete the quests. Anpu (and some others) have done an outstanding job of providing them. The disappointment you may endure for not being able to complete them on your own, will be far far far less than the disappointment you will endure for endless hours of trying to figure out what the heck you are supposed to do, due to the almost non-existant direction from the game.

17. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Heh. Well I didn't want to put any words in your mouth. However, you took the words right out of mine!

You described the dynamic to which I was referring to a "T" unfortunately, I do not have the same levels of tolerance as you for groupthink trolls that go around ruining the Internet for the rest of us trying to have a conversation.

*backs slowly away from the forum*

[Now it's alright... there there no need for alarm... sure sure SotA is an awesome game... gripping storyline and awesome graphics!... shhh now hush.... you can take your finger off the report button... I'll be leaving again real soon... ]

Anyhow thanks for the tips, @Grumpy Krabnevir !

18. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

:rolleyes:

yup

Jaanelle DeJure and Time Lord like this.
  19. zaweraks

zaweraks Avatar

Personally, I buy food and ingredients from the players, they do a great job in this area.

Jaanelle DeJure and Time Lord like this.
  20. Juan Solo

Juan Solo Avatar

Positive notes are always good news. Already did mine review year ago, hopefully the positive reviews attract more players, the bad news is that I came across one video on YouTube
    with more than 7300 views I do not want to name and give bad publicity but it was called something like wors mmo ever.
    My reaction while I was watching it was not knowing whether to cry or laugh at the same time :) let's hope it didn't attract more bad fame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.