Air Shield users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Dec 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I only want reasonable solutions grumpy. If it were up to me id start it at 0.1 and have it be 0.8 at high level and have the unblocked damage bleed thru but make torpid NOT AFFECT YOU instead of removing it.

But i would make chaotic feedback and stances remove it. Im sure that’d have problems too but mostly i just want there to be a reason to take combat specializations i see noone taking be useful in pvp without having to focus on you need douse or air shield or tactics specialization to counter everything

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  2. Jikininki

Jikininki Avatar

I wouldn't say torpiding an air archer = insta death, it just helps a lot. There's still a dodge modifier that most of them have worked up, ability to recast their shield, and/or heal, among everything else that goes into a fight.

As Grumpy said, there are counters to almost everything. If you fight someone who has built up their character with fire or bleeds without a way to remove the dots from yourself, you're going to have a hard time. If you fight an air archer without torpid available, you're going to have a hard time. If you fight a water mage as melee without a way remove slows, you're going to have a hard time.

One shot kills, or close to them CAN be no fun, sure. But the difference in it continuing to happen vs turning it around, lies in the response being "That's no fair and OP!" vs "Holy cow wow, how'd that happen?"... then scrolling through the combat log and asking questions and adjusting yourself.

Grumpy Krabnevir likes this.
  3. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Well, there again Arkah, (and I have no ill will towards you buddy, we are just conversing) your arguments and proposed solutions would carry a lot more weight with me if you were a real pvp'er, but you aren't, and neither is necronut, or most all of the rest of you reading or posting in this thread.

I would agree to a reasonable cap of .2 or .3, otherwise, this is just a solution in search of a problem that doesn't exist. As soon as it is done, ya'll will be complaining about whatever it is next that you find that is supposedly the reason why you don't participate. You will never overcome the fact that NOTHING will make you better except real experience doing it.

4. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

And here again, i'm offering ongoing training/classes to help people do that in a controlled and safe way. Has anyone taken me up on it? Anyone? Bueller?

5. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

there always are counters that have to be used. Even I have to use counters that I prefer I didn't have to waste space on my bar for, but that's just how it is, how it has always been, and will always be. You aren't going to be able to take just any generic pve build and run around in pvp and be successful. It's two completely different things.

6. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

And that's the crux of the real problem, all of you who aren't typical pvp'ers, don't want to be forced to use something different, or to have to spend time learning opponents, you just want to fight and win. So do we all buddy, so do we all. lol

7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

If i took a Class, would you be telling me to change my specializations because they dont work for pvp? How would you get subterfuge-light armor to work without severely gimping yourself?

8. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Based on that, I have a great idea too. Let's do away with RNG for crafting. Anyone who crafts at any level should be able to completely pick and choose max mods for the pieces they craft. It's the same principle, and would BALANCE the crafting field so that everyone is equal. Sounds fair right?

9. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Well, if you really wanted to play that build, I would cater your tactics to your strengths and teach you how to play that build successfully. That doesn't mean that build would allow you do the same things as a death mage, or a fire mage. It's about knowing your role, minimizing your limitations and exploiting your strengths with the proper tactics. It can be done, you just have to be willing and realistic.

10. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

that's why crowquillz rocked pvp as a tamer. Has much less to do with the skills, and more to do with knowledge, experience, and tactics. The 3 things you can't get while sitting on the bench watching the game.

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

If pve and pvp builds HAVE to be an entirely different set of skills (IE you cant specialize in light armor and sunterfuge cuz they arent pvp skills) you arent really for balance man. This whole idea of confirm or die is stressing me out at work so ima have to shut up for now.

12. Jikininki

Jikininki Avatar

I'm on the side of the fence where I don't see the point in even worrying about Air Shield ratio in regards to pvp, because the counter for it so easy, quick, minimal xp, and literally the only magic shield you can dis-spell.
    For pve, it could be an issue, sure. Anything beyond a cap, though not an extreme one, would be unreasonable to the players that put in the massive time needed to gain the xp needed to build it up that high. Just cap it, a bit, and nuff said.

Grumpy Krabnevir likes this.
  13. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

You are missing the whole point, no one is making you conform or die. You have been offered a chance to learn how to play the build you want with success. It's up to you.

But, are you saying that EVERY possible build should be viable for every possible aspect of the game? That's just unrealistic. pvp and pve builds don't have to be entirely different. Your mindset is what has to be different.

14. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

As a matter of fact, I use the exact same gear/skills/deck for pve as I do pvp. Occasionally I switch one or two locked skills depending on if i need purify, or torpid etc, other than that, nothing really changes except how I play. Occasionally i'll swap some armor if i'm against a good death mage, but we haven't had any good death mages since para and crystal.

Jikininki likes this.
  15. Jikininki

Jikininki Avatar

I haven't fought on the opposite side of the fence of Grumpy, the former Ranger Hagge, or any good air archer for a long time, however I will say, I think stealth, evasion and sneaking made them easier opponents for me, not harder. So you absolutely can pvp your build, you just may need to tweak a few things and prepare for each individual opponent's build differently :D

Arkah EMPstrike likes this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

How did this become a discussion about PvP?

Cordelayne and Jikininki like this.
  17. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Because the discussion of air shield was being argued in relation to it's effectiveness in pve and pvp, some of us were pointing out that air shield really isn't an issue in pvp and a few non-pvp'ers tried to incorrectly correct us. I have a hard time being told something that is wrong from people who don't do it, without clapping back at them. Sorry if we de-railed your thread.

Jikininki likes this.
  18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Im saying every combat specialization should have some value in pvp and pve and that shouldnt be 100% negateable. And also insta death is dumb. I like pvp but i dont like poker

19. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Again, no one is interested in learning, only complaining.

Coach to benchwarmers: Ok guys, you all say you want to get in the game, here we go, let's get you in.

Benchwarmers: Sorry coach, we're headed to the locker room where we can complain in peace about how we aren't starters.

Jikininki likes this.
  20. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

In a perfect world , yes, but damn dude, this is SotA, not even close to a perfect world. Having said that, it IS balanced more than you understand. And truthfully, most every combat specialization DOES have SOME value in pvp and pve, but if you aren't willing to put it in use and learn, if you aren't willing to understand the differences, how can I help you?

Jikininki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.