FYI: archery changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Dec 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I use to run out of focus pretty fast because I use a dynamic deck... with the changes, the Focus Potions cooldown will hit very often. And the alternative which is static deck + stacking would be as unfeasible because of bigger cooldown time.
    I feel this is way too harsh of a nerf.
    How about improving other skills / classes instead of basically deconstruct a whole class?

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The problem is that ranged is single target. As such, it's supposed to do more damage to that single target. Other schools of combat damage 2 - 4 targets. They don't do as much damage to a single target but they can do more damage overall when fighting multiple enemies. Unfortunately, when non-archers see archers doing more damage to the boss creature they're both fighting, they feel it's unfair and start crying for nerfs. More damage to a single tartet is also an issue in PvP.

There's really nothing for it. People will continue to complain about archery's damage and it will continue to get nerfed into oblivion.

3. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Chris loves to talk on stream about how he likes to do 'minor adjustments' - FYI doubling anything is NOT a minor tweak :p

4. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Multishot is the most powerful AOE glyph in the game, NOTHING in-game can give any comparable damage in AOE. RoF with those tics just cry when see 2-3k numbers on each multishot affected mob.
    The problem that not single archer glyphs should be nerfed or smth like Atos nerfed now, the far easier way is to deny to stack crit damage, force archer to choose Berserker Stance(with spec) or Savage Sonata, deny it stacking. The real problem of archer not a glyphs, but crit dmg stacking it is just out of any curve.

Barugon likes this.
  5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

This is why I've completely lost interest and hope in this game. I just don't find it fun anymore with all these artis, buffs, potions etc. They keep adding more stuff that just creates more issues and I don't see that changing ever. Thankfully cyberpunk is out now so I have a reason to turn on my computer again.

Rentier and Grumpy Krabnevir like this.
  6. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Well, I think this is the worst way imaginable to tweak anything in the game. It's very likely to strip all the fun of ranged gameplay. Melee characters may kill enemies slower, but they can sure tank. Fire mages can dish out insane AOE DPS and tank at the same time using shield. Ranged is squishy, and now it's going to delicer less DPS than mages and same DPS as melee.
    This change may turn me off of the game.

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

8. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I don't understand why Archers are upset. If you look at the top DPS players in the game they are all archers. Some are hitting 1.2k-3k per attack at the top levels in Spindlekog. No other class even comes close to that type of dmg, and mages are limited in what they can kill because of anti magic mobs as well some schools are capped with what type of mob they can kill. Melee is getting a slight boost because they are still behind everything else. So I really dont see why people complain knowing that the top class is archery other than now they will be brought more inline again. Chris does little changes as he said before some times he does lots than rolls it back until its better balanced.

7+ years nerfed over 7 times you dont see me complain, instead I look at where things land and adapt. Sometimes its just a matter of reaching a new level to get back what was lost which is in most cases. For lower end players it will affect them more as it will change what they fight, but that can be over come with change in how you play.

just my thoughts :)

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Because there's not much reason to continue playing a game where your progress keeps being removed.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I remember a thread detailing the biggest damage that players could do. For a long time, archers were at the bottom of the barrel. Now they're top damage dealers? What changed? It's most certainly not because the skills themselves have been made stronger; the skills have been regularly nerfed. Someone please detail for me how archery keeps getting stronger and stronger while the skills are perpetually nerfed.

Rentier likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Then why is the answer to nerf the ranged skills? Why aren't adjustments being made to the things around it? For instance, why not make the critical damage bonus from Savage Sonata melee only? Why not adjust the damage bonus from bandit armor to be a little more reasonable?

Rentier likes this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I personally think crit stacking is more of a culprit. Nerfing focus use doesnt change the damage thats happening but makes that damage not as sustainable. Raising cast times will not reduce the damage numbers you see but it will affect DPS.

Since pole arms and ranged get huge innate bonuses to crit damage, maybe curving crit damage at around 150% or 200% bonus would achieve a better effect. Although doing it that way you would physically see your crit numbers go down if your max stackign crit damage with a bow or pole arm

13. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Actually, I see melee do damage like that all the time. Polearms skewer and puncture hit for 1k-3k regularly when skilled and geared properly. So does Coup de Grace for swords.

And how much fun has that been constantly having your character nerfed and you have to work even harder just to get back what was lost?

Jikininki and Barugon like this.
  14. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

I did detail it for you:

1) Potions are stronger with the potions buff skill
    2) New potions are stronger (shadow form?)
    3) 3 Day blessings are now stronger (hard and extreme zone)
    4) Savage Sonata
    5) Epic Artifacts
    6) Bandit Gear
    7) Stance skills now stackable
    8) Foods are more powerful

And it's not just archery, all builds can benefit from most of that list. Archers are just the favorite target because DPS is all they have and is what gets noticed. Archers can't tank, and archers cant crowd control.

At this point, it doesn't really matter. The game is never going to be powerful or fun and is never going to grow it's population to any significance. Prove me wrong.

15. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

So, ranged is the least tanky build in the game. Shouldn't it be naturally the biggest DPS?

These changes will make ranged gameplay sluggish, while fire mages will still do almost double DPS in a regular PvE setting. Even wielding a shield and dealing 100+ dmg per immolation tick in PVP.

Jikininki and Grumpy Krabnevir like this.
  16. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

Archers can't tank? Currently air shield + dodge = best tanking build in game

Having problems with focus? Learn to stack your glyphs. Mindlock helps. So does fully stacked recovery song.

Cooldown time increase? Easily dealt with using advanced deck mechanics.

These "nerfs" are a joke. My archery dps won't be taking a hit at all from these changes.

17. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

It not true, the N1 build in the game in the terms of tank is air mage, the N2 build in-game in the terms of the tank is the archer.
    You probably don't understand the part of the problem, "the tick" of the archer from auto attack is 500-1k+. Even tick of most advanced fire mage(RoF/fireball) with all res debuff applied to the target is lower... far lower.
    It's the truth. The core mechanic of archer gameplay is crit damage, and this is the key - what should be nerfed. Not the focus cost or cooldown.

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is what I'm talking about. These changes really only negatively affect non-minmaxers.

Rentier likes this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

My damage isn't anywhere near that. 900 is the high end of a 5-charge, Aimed Shot critical. 1200 if I'm using crafted gear. These changes negatively affect me and not necessarily players like you or @Mimner.

I really don't know how to get this point across better.

Rentier, FBohler and Mimner like this.
  20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

So, he begins using all these things to offset the nerf. Great... until the next nerf. What does he do then, when there are no more additional things to add or modify, short of abandoning the build altogether?

Grumpy Krabnevir likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.