1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Universal vendor with price

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by simon1974, Dec 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simon1974

simon1974 Bug Hunter

This thread is to compete with the other one stating without a price...

Not sure why people doesn’t want to see any price.

for my part, i think seeing a price would help the economy. There is too much difference from one vendor to an other regarding some items, and having a guide, would help people set the price of the stuff they want to sell.

I am more then tired having to run from vendor to vendor, and town to town. I think any big game out there have their own kind of universal vendor or auction house.

I know some governors are worried that their town will become empty, its up to them, to find other means to attract people.

Not having to worried about getting a good spot to sell your stuff, would actually be good for some of the less populated cities, they could actually attract people to visit their town if their price range is good enough.

The only downside i could think of, is to see someone systematically buying a certain item and reselling it much higher.

Anyway, we need something major to happen regarding this.

Lijuan zhang

2. CICI

CICI Avatar

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Agree with all !

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well some players are very adamant that even though you find out where an item is and who has it that you still have to shop around and see many areas of the game. Putting a price on the searched items makes you go to the lowest price but players don't always know what that will be and it could cause issues if you think about it. Not everyone plays the game to micromanage pricing. They have vendors and play other parts of the game. Just let us know where to find an item and we can decide from there. *cheers*

Tahru and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  5. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

All ready happens. Personally, I'm against showing pricing, you're getting location and availability more than info information.

6. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

For years now, I've seen plenty of people that are against any form of aggregated vendor pricing information or any vendor data at all. I don't understand how it helps the game to hide this information from players. I'm clearly missing something and would truly like to understand. Just once, I would like to see a well communicated explanation as to why excluding pricing and other vendor data is better.

7. Angelique DeVailly

Angelique DeVailly Avatar

As i've mentionned before, someone who plays a lot and has a lot of money can control market prices. For example the easiest would be beetle carapaces, silver and gold. Look at the list buy them all out and resell at profit prices but out as soon as someone else lists more. This can be done for most items if you have enough money and time and some people run their vendors for rl profit they play sota as a job i see those people controlling the market. Unless theres a way to prevent this im against the prices listed or there is something i'm missing? How would this be beneficial?

8. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

What about production and consumption?

What is wrong with buying low and selling high if both the seller and purchaser find their respective price acceptable?

How does hiding the prices prevent this from happening?

I think having a global market with public pricing helps protect against this sort of thing. If "A" comes along and buys up all the beetles for at 1800 gold each and sells them at 2800 gold each, it wouldn't take long for other people to raise their price to meet "A"s price. If crafters are unwilling to pay "A"s price... well, you can't make a profit if you can't find a buyer. So, the price comes down.

My feeling is, keeping this data hidden doesn't prevent market manipulation. It makes manipulation both easier accomplish and to hide.

9. CICI

CICI Avatar

Well there is no point in running a non profit vendor...the Universal vendor with price will balance the prices on ores, ingots etc. even if someone does try to control the market in the end he or she will fail because players will go farm more of it or the devs can up the drop rate!

supply and demand vs who ever has the best lot! still think you must go to the vendor to buy the items

Time Lord, Gravidy and FrostII like this.
  10. Angelique DeVailly

It just raises all the prices and makes everything more expensive the average player wont be able to afford much and the merchant types will make a lot more money though. lets say again i buy out all beetle ive seen some at 2500 gold so id buy those out too and resell them at 3k each and but on my vendor for 2750. Crafters either gather and sell to me or buy them at that price raising the gear prices. Thats my main concern. Not for me because most of my alts have gear and i can make gold pretty easily . Im thinking of casual players. As i said thats my point of view and again i might be wrong. If the same is done for gold and silver for enchanting and MW not sure how itd affect crafters overall pricing for comodities and crafted items

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  11. CICI

CICI Avatar

ez fix up the drop rate on beetles =-D

12. Angelique DeVailly

With the playerbase we have it is quite possible to control some items, Also if you buy at highest price in game why would the players sell cheaper to others? Also its easy to teleport anywhere to buy, just a lot of load screens

13. Angelique DeVailly

i doubt theyd change the drop rate because of people selling them but if they did increase it the market for them would be flooded and theyd lose their worth

14. CICI

CICI Avatar

Well other mmo's do this all the time lol up drop rates lol it's supply and demand

Also inflation rate because sota don't have many gold sinks :) that's why cotos and other items rise in price over time

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Time Lord, FrostII and that_shawn_guy like this.
  15. oplek

oplek Avatar

Speculators can have a lot of money, but not infinite.

If the price keeps going up, more and more people will start to meet the demand, because it's lucrative... and there's no real limit on how many can be gathered. Now that person who kept sucking up the supply is going to be sitting on mountains of the stuff, unable to move it, unless they axe their prices. It's a risk they take.

Those same people who undercut the tycoons will now have more money to buy more expensive things.

Spungwa, Spinok, Gravidy and 3 others like this.
  16. oplek

oplek Avatar

We seem to be sandwiched between people saying that priced-searches will be a race to the bottom, and a race to the top.

Gravidy, Wilfred, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Y'all campaigning for a set of fancy rims while the engine is on fire.

The shopping experience used to be nice, when people used to play the game. THAT is the core problem.

Fix the core problems. One of those is the listing UI. Fix that first and you'll see shopping become fun again.

That was last updated a year and a half ago. It was strongly endorsed by every major seller in the game, many who are now gone.

Universal Search would not have kept ANY of them. They had the traffic.

When they leave or quit listing from fatigue it DIRECTLY impacts the BUYERS, as it is more DEAD VENDORS.

Then the buyer petitions for Universal Search, but that doesn't fix the CORE PROBLEM, which is that listing more than a dozen items a day is horrible.

If listing items was fast and easy, you would see more and more people doing it, and a return of some dedicated merchants (like myself). Shopping would slowly become fun again.

Fix the problem, not the symptom.

*Disclaimer: I don't believe any of these improvements will ever happen, and it is heartbreaking.

18. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

There are basically six options:

- Town-Based Vendor Search Without Prices
    - Town-Based Vendor Search With Prices
    - Regional Vendor Search Without Prices
    - Regional Vendor Search With Prices
    - Global / Universal Vendor Search Without Prices
    - Global / Universal Vendor Search With Prices

In my opinion, "Regional Vendor Search With Prices" is the best option, "Town-Based Vendor Search With Prices" is the second best, and "Global / Universal Vendor Search Without Prices" is third best.

I think "Global / Universal Vendor Search With Prices" is the worst option, because it would take all the fun out of the system.
    Players would no longer need to travel at all to compare prices, so the whole shopping experience would be reduced to clicking on an interface.

I explained my reasoning much further in this thread:

Universal Vendor Search without prices
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...niversal-vendor-search-without-prices.165508/

----------

Lord Stein likes this.
  19. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

This doesn't work because yes you can buy them all and sell them for a profit, but once someone collect more they will under cut you and all your money your spent to sell for more is wasted. The market always normalise itself.

FrostII likes this.
  20. Angelique DeVailly

How would this happen? if im buying at a higher price why would anyone else sell for less? And if itson a vendor and listed it can be bought as well. Maintaining the price If iwere to not buy out the newer stock then yes price would normalize if someone else doesnt do the same thing. meaning buying them out and selling at same price i am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.