Ideas on what to do with a PoT?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by macnlos, Jan 2, 2021.

?

How should I get rid of this PoT?

Poll closed Jan 16, 2021.
  1. Raffle - small money for a ticket (something like that).

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Giveaway - no money for a ticket (just participate).

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Sell - put it up for sale.

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. Trade - trade it for something equally useless (i.e. a lot somewhere cool)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. Contest - make people do something silly and then randomly declare a winner.

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Keep it silly fool because one day it will be worth 1000s (... of pennies)!

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Any thoughts on what to do with this PoT that is wasting away with me? The only hard rule I have is I will not pay the transfer fees to Portnip if it changes hands... the winner can do that. Raffle? Giveaway? Sell? Trade? Contest? Nothing?

NOTE: Dear Moderators, this is not "selling" anything. I'm soliciting ideas on what to do. If I do decide to sell it I will comply with all the rules and regulations set forth by Portnip.

NOTE: Dear Players, this is not a contractual poll. I just want to solicit ideas, but I'm not bound to actually do anything.

Someone asked about the PoT so hear are the details:
    Name: NotUO
    Size: Holdfast (the smallest sized)
    Location: Left isle of Mistrendur, right there when you get off the boat
    Status: Careful, it is a PvP marked town... you could end up be killed by any of the one player.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

How about just decorate it as you like and if nobody wants to live there, whatever.

Cirsee and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  3. olddoghot

olddoghot Avatar

This is the most interesting poll this year. cheer up!

FrostII, Cordelayne and arcdevil like this.
  4. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Cheer up? I'm happy as can be, just want to dump this thing and looking to see if someone who still likes/plays this game would be interested in determining how.

CICI, FrostII, Greyfox and 1 other person like this.
  5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

FrostII likes this.
  6. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Upgrade it to the largest POT currently available while they are still on sale and available. One day POTs will be very valuable and worth double or more than what we pay now. POT space will eventually be rare and hard to obtain.

It's a sound investment in your future.

LoodyTunes likes this.
  7. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Have them write a story on why they should get it, be willing to pay the transfer fees, donate XX$$ to the charity of your choice. Or as Cordelayne said, "Burn it"

I'd deco the town with some buildings on fire, use stone ruins all around, dead trees, dead trees with webs, fog all over. And 1 bogman conversationalist in the middle telling you why you should buy this pot and raise it from the ashes.

Hold on need another taste of Proper 12....

So yeah that's an option. PoT's aren't what folks think they are. They require a lot of work and effort to get folks to come and stay. My only problem ever was the amount of PoT's sold. There are just too many to help everyone create what they want. I truly do understand the allure of PoT's, but it's like that superstar with all the talent in the world, only to fail because they didn't work on that talent, improve it, open it to adaptation.

OK, I'm done....Proper 12 wins

Rada Torment, Cordelayne and Anpu like this.
  8. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Given the size of the player base... Mistrendur was a mistake. To be frank, at this point we could all live in Highvale and fit comfortably. Vast set of lands for who? This also includes the number of PoTs... I never intended it to be a place where people would frequent/live. It was a big house for me and I was just supporting the game so shame on me for wasting my money. "Limited Time / Opportunity" put up by Portnip and then they back tracked on that too.

Grumpy Krabnevir likes this.
  9. CICI

CICI Avatar

The player you give the town too can pay for the Player Owned Town Request Voucher =-D

10. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetinngs macnlos
    I can craft several Wood & Plaster Burned Village Homes for you if you want to place them all over your POT and actually make a ghost town. Also have lots of skeletons both burned and regular. Then add some fire dragons and fire elemental statues as well as some Lava hot tubs. Lastly place a few miniature Fire Elemental Pets and set them to patrol (if you can place pets in POTs as deco).

If not that then some Skeletons with Aerial Replenishing Combo Box of Fireworks in the center of town.

This is a real offer so let me know. Then you can just leave it like that.

11. amberlee1801

amberlee1801 Avatar

Ill happily take it off your hands if you don't know what else to do with it. <3 :)

12. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Another idea would be to set it up with all unrestricted row lots and let it become a vendor town. Old west style with no Governor support. Let it morph as it will and see what life grows.

Have to make it PvP for that old west feel.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Or just let someone be assigned as steward to manage your town while you're away. They won't be able to do everything but almost everything. I manage Wizards Rest without the governor being around for years. It gives an opportunity to someone who has tons of ambition and thoughts for a town. Then you let it be what it will be if you're not interested in the game then you just go off on your other game journeys unless a magical miracle were to happen for this one. Then you come back and restore governorship of your town and away you go.

Yeah it is a bit emotionally difficult with the financial and other ties we may have to this game made thru pledges and other real money transactions, but to finally let it all go seems most final. I'm not sure I could do that. I do wish you every happiness in your decision and journey.

Lord Aventine, Wilfred, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Wait patiently for the game to get sold to the community. I have a feeling that the high dollar backers may be open to the idea of teaming up if a cohesive plan was put forward that addressed the big gripes. And I think that, despite the disagreements, we could actually agree on the core to the point where that vision could be adopted. I actually feel like it's pretty obvious that most of us are in agreement on about 90% of things, and thoe things are just somehow not on the dev radar at all.

So, wait patiently for the guy driving the boat to pass the reins over to the money, and then the game will start moving toward the original intentions. And at that point you'll be happy to have your town.

15. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I got mine for one reason only.. I didn't want to fight to place my lot deed in a land rush. I can decorate it the way I want without someone else's constraints. Had I hoped I would get some of my friends in town too.. yeah and they were for a bit, but the game isn't kind to casual players to make any real fun kills and the quests confused a lot of them.. so there I am with my own little deco playground. I get excited when I see someone run through :)

StarLord and macnlos like this.
  16. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

@Cirsee - yeah I agree that making the PoT a personal little deco area was a lot of fun. But here is the rub, we can't really do much because Portnip sticks it to you on a) the size limits, and b) having to purchase/own lot deeds. This game is a failure and slowly failing more and more each day. Imagine if they give all governors the ability to freely decorate/shape the PoT without robbing them blind. PoTs could be really interesting and people would want to visit / explore them. Just like Dungeons could have been.

Dollar Bill likes this.
  17. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Yean I get what you are saying, but I get the company needs money too. Sadly the POT owners are the likely the major funders of the game. It would be nice if they could at least give us a free central "town square" kind of space to decorate with a deed like deco limit. It would also be nice to micro increase some size limits.. like just lights, or just chests, nps, etc. without paying a huge sum to do the whole town. I dislike having these buildings and devotionals and not having a big enough town to put them in.

18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

The deed thing is only a pain because of the failure, and not driving the failure. A town with action generates its own economy and the deeds can be acquired through the help of that economy.

If they ever decide to fix the core problems with the game, the towns will thrive again. Although at this point, if I were steering the boat I would be planning a comeback staged through a series of POTs. But only AFTER building the new story system and updating the current story to that system, giving the entire UI a major update, increasing sandbox interactivity of deco items, implementing a real loot sink such as cabalist attacks against POTs (starting with the towns that get to be at the front of the comeback), redoing bards to make them bards, finishing INKY so players can fully utilize it, building interactivity into dungeons, and taking a long hard look at the one thing that is getting way too much attention, combat. That may just need to be scrapped and redone. Artifacts to boot.

After all that, you'll have players in your town again and it will be the glory days of 2016 all over again.

Cordelayne likes this.
  19. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Are there any plans for that story/quest system? It would be great if we could get more with dungeons, traps and some way to reward players for going through quests without footing the bill, so to speak.

20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I think on the schedule for 2021 is futzing with combat and loot.

ephialtes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.