Please just use a location menu on the lunar rift.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by queenbee, Jan 15, 2021.

?

If you are not a new player, do you use the lunar rift for transportation?

1. Yes, quite often.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, not really.

100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

Since new players are the main ones who use the lunar rift for transportation, please just have a menu. I just helped a player yesterday who didn't realize it was a rotating system He used it because the quest told him to use it to get to a particular zone. Instead he was raptured off to a totally different zone and had no idea what he was supposed to do or how to get out of it. He was going to log off and quit. I told him he could log back in to Novia rather than in the zone.

Again, if you want your player population to grow, new areas must be simple, clear, and concise to help guide them into the game. Otherwise they are not going to continue playing.

shadowvice, FrostII and Cordelayne like this.
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

For me, they are more lore than utility. I don't really see a reason to change them.

3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

While your point is valid, this is always how moongates lunar rifts have worked in Ultima games.

That said, probably better to make the directions given to use the rift a little more precise, or at least indicate that the time has to be right to get to the right destination. (Or even better, maybe the quest doesn't direct to the rift at all any more, since they're kinda moot thanks to other changes we've had over the years.)

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  4. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

If they are for lore, then they really shouldn't be used as a function in beginning quests.

FrostII and that_shawn_guy like this.
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There’s only one optional side quest in the entire game that requires you to enter a lunar rift, and that’s the Shardfall Cloak quest. But you only need to go through any lunar rift and then after arriving, select the lunar rift again to go to the Isle of Storms.

6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The lunar rift was actually -the- reason why someone I tried to get to play sota awhile back, ragequit utterly. The waypoints kept pointing him toward the things but he didn't realize about the fluctuating destinatoins, ended up completely across world from where he needed to be. Tried to slog back over the overland, ran into an encounter, got killed - just a poor experience all round. Its another one of those 'sounds cool on paper' things that is pretty impractical especially with all the new teleportation options and boat routes and etc. we've gotten over the intervening years.

I think as static telepads with selectable destinations they'd be alright.

I wouldn't shed a tear if, in a 'world event' they got smashed to bits by the brave townsfolk of the associated areas to prevent the invading whatevers from reaching their cities and were just left as smoldering, humming ruins.

FrostII likes this.
  7. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Just noting something here... in this world where almost EVERYTHING has a "mouseover" event programmed into it, be it a web page or a game, I would think it would almost be second nature to mouse over things that are new to you to see if it tells you something about that particular item.

That being said, the use of moongates (NOT correcting that :p ) should have more exposition. And should remain the same as it is now.

Alley Oop likes this.
  8. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

So when I was a new player I had the same quest. I used it and ended up in the wrong place. When I finally got back and figured out what it was all about I made sure I finished the quest and I never went back and used it again. It was great in other Ultima games, but useless in this game. It should have had better instructions.

9. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

We have teleport to friend, teleport to zone AND recall scrolls. So why continue to make lunar rifts unnecessarily aggravating and confusing to new and casual players? Just change the damn things so you teleport to the lunar rift of your choice. Most folks don't use them anyway!

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It was a mistake in the first place to put them in scenes instead of the overworld.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.