1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugs… QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Fix Needs Testing 68533] Intermittent issue typing emotes and keywords

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by ArdRhi, Dec 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArdRhi

ArdRhi Avatar

I have been having the problem for a few days now. It prevents certain gameplay that requires entering some keywords into chat. This makes it necessary to work around the inability to type in keywords by clicking on underlined words and finding the right keywords to click on.

It makes prompting NPCs very difficult, and might make some impossible. If the keyword you need can't be maneuvered into showing as a clickable word in the NPC's text, and isn't in the clickable keywords beneath the chat, you can't say it to them. I have intermittent problems with slashed commands like "/play" or "/playlist" or "/AFK", and emotes are erratic. They sometimes work and sometimes they don't. When the problem is occurring, you can type in the word but pressing enter does nothing. It just sits there.

These repro recipes have worked erratically. For a day or so they were steadily failing, then I found a partial workaround. These may not be 100% reproduceable for everyone. I will try to figure out what is triggering this condition and will amend the post accordingly.

Repro Recipe:
    Equip a musical instrument.
    Press enter to open chat.
    Type "/play" and hit enter. If the bug is in effect, the keyword does not even send. It just sits in the chat box text line. Repeated hitting of "enter" usually does nothing. Sometimes, repeated enters will make the keyword fire, but it isn't predictable.

Alternate Recipe:
    Travel to the Oracle and enter the room
    Double-click the Oracle to interact
    In the interaction chat, type a keyword that normally works, such as "truth", "love", "courage" or "test". In my interactions, the keyword is not acted upon and the UI doesn't even allow it to be sent by hitting enter. Nothing happens if this issue is in effect.
    If, however, you have these keywords in the clickable keyword portion of the UI, click on them and they will work. Just typing them in the interaction chat does nothing.

Here is where things get interesting. I found that I could deactivate the bug temporarily by:
    - toggling the profanity filter on chat on and off
    - changing the language from English to any other language, then back again
    - both of these
    - resetting the control bindings to default, then changing them back to the custom settings (I set toggle cursor to middle mouse button)
    - if an emote (i.e., "/AFK", etc) does not fire when entered, try another one. That one will frequently fire, and then the first one will. Then something changes and they stop working again.
    - logging off and back in sometimes clears the issue, sometimes not.

I first noticed this issue sometime around Christmas, when I found I couldn't get a new instrument to play. Then I noticed issues with keyword entry, including the keywords "truth", "love", "courage", and "test" in a conversation with the Oracle. I had to find the words in underlined text to trigger them with a click rather than typing them in and pressing enter.

2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Usually I'd say this sounds like a bizarre connectivity issue, but some of the details make me wonder. Passing this to a programmer. Issue #68533

Anpu likes this.
  3. ArdRhi

ArdRhi Avatar

I've continued to have this issue sporadically. I'll find myself unable to chat with anyone, or even bring up the chat box by hitting enter. What temporarily fixes it is to go to settings>language and set the language from English to something else. Click OK on the "you will need to restart" prompt, but then immediately set the selection back to English. Then typing will work for a while. I have not figured out what triggers the condition. Next time it happens, I'll try logging out and back in to see if that fixes it. Perhaps it's a persistent connectivity problem that relogging can fix, though the language settings workaround make that seem a little odd. I'll keep trying to figure out what triggers it.

4. ArdRhi

ArdRhi Avatar

I have another piece of the puzzle.

Normally, the scroll wheel on my mouse does not scroll windows in Shroud. I have to use the mouse pointer to move the scroll bar on the side of the window. When the scroll bar WORKS, and text in a window can be scrolled with it, this is when I have issues with typing in the text box. I also determined that logging out to the menu does NOT fix this, but logging out to the desktop and restarting DOES. For a while, at least, until whatever critical path causes the scroll wheel to start or stop working, then I have problems again.

I guess the first question to ask is: is the scroll wheel SUPPOSED to be working? I found that it usually does NOT, and when it does, I have issues with getting text to actually be entered in text boxes.

UPDATE: When the enter key stopped working again a few moments after I jiggered it with the language change method I described in an earlier post, I tried some things to see if it would fix the problem. Turning the wireless trackball off then on, no change. Pressing the scroll wheel button down, no change except it switched cursor mode, which I set up in the interface settings. Scroll lock, no change. Then I hit the Windows button once to bring up the Win 10 start menu, then again to dismiss it.

The text entry started working. AND the scroll wheel works in menus. I have no idea how long this state will persist. I will add more as I dig further.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There’s a bug that will occasionally make you not able to scroll through windows with a mouse. I haven’t yet found a way to replicate it yet. It just randomly happens.

This could possibly be related? Don’t know though.

6. Sarek

Sarek Avatar

1. Title: Unable to use chat
    2. Reproducible? 75% of time, does work on login sometimes but mostly not
    3. Blocker? Yes
    4. Details: Log into game and try to use any chat channel, on hitting enter nothing happens and I am unable to communicate.
    5. Steps to Reproduce: Login and try to chat
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only) Unable to run /bug

7. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

I've seen something likely this very rarely.

If you add a space after the last character of what you are typing, does it work?

Sarek likes this.
  8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

please clarify:
    a: you are able to click in the chat box and type a message but are unable to send it, or
    b: you are trying to enter the chat box BY hitting enter and it's not moving focus to the box so you can type.

(if it's b, you should be able to mouse click in it and type, which gives you a temporary workaround)

9. Sarek

Sarek Avatar

Yes if I add a space it works! What the hell is that?!? Thanks Shawn at least I can communicate now, people must think I was ghosting them!

10. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Sarek I've had this happen a handful of times also.. it usually happens after I typed a /slash command - potentially one that was invalid or a typo.. I haven't been able to figure it out.. I usually just hit ESC a few times, and it goes away for me.. it's not just actual chat in that case, but any input into the chat box, such as another /slash command .. it will just sit there and not process Enter Key

@that_shawn_guy 's fix of appending a space and it going through, is an interesting fix..

If we can try and get some exact reproduction steps to trigger this condition, it will help the developers narrow down what's going wrong.. so please if anyone has any exact steps to cause this, please reply. Thanks!

Anpu likes this.
  11. Sarek

Sarek Avatar

I can see it happened in my session which started [05/05/2021 22:49:42] in the logs, chat was working before fine earlier that day and in the previous session I was speaking to someone then logged off fine. Only things I can see in the log for the bugged session are as follows

[05/05/2021 22:49:42] Item crafted: Recipe: Dark Red Dye.
    [05/05/2021 22:49:50] This item (Carapacian Founder Heraldry Tabard Cloth Chest Armor of Sorcery +17) cannot be dyed because it is locked.
    [05/05/2021 22:50:52] Item (Chunk of Coal x2) was destroyed during crafting.
    [05/05/2021 22:50:52] Item (Creosote) was destroyed during crafting.
    [05/05/2021 22:50:52] You failed to craft an item (Recipe: Dark Orange Dye). All fuels were consumed.
    [05/05/2021 22:51:03] Item (Creosote) was destroyed during crafting.
    [05/05/2021 22:51:03] Item (Chunk of Coal x2) was destroyed during crafting.
    [05/05/2021 22:51:03] Item (Pumpkin x5) was destroyed during crafting.
    [05/05/2021 22:51:03] Item (Dark Orange Dye) added to inventory.
    [05/05/2021 22:51:03] Item crafted: Recipe: Dark Orange Dye.
    [05/05/2021 22:52:00] Therdan Redwauld utters the phrase Luna.

At this point [05/05/2021 22:53:02] someone talks to me and I cannot respond.
    I write a letter to the person and mail it letting them know I am bugged and cannot talk.

After that I zone out to another location to see if that has an impact which it does not.
    [05/05/2021 22:56:48] Entering Silverdale Market from Northwood

Logout and back in for a new session [05/05/2021 23:00:20] still not working
    recall home [05/05/2021 23:02:04] [23:02] Entering Northwood from Silverdale Market
    [05/05/2021 23:04:44] [23:04] Therdan Redwauld (To XXXX): bugged --> this message gets through

All ok for the rest of that session, I did not leave Northwood.

But the following day it happens again, cannot see anything the same which could potentially trigger it.

No slash commands or anything were used that I can see.

When it happens I can type in the chat windows fine but when I hit enter nothing, so strange.

Anpu and Echondas like this.
  12. Echondas

Hey @DavidDC - Any ideas on this? Seems like some weird UI hiccup?

13. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I'm aware of the enter bug its been there for a while but the no chat box is new.
    Does that happen to anyone else? Could that be some lua error triggering all this?

14. Echondas

@DavidDC I don't think the chat box is missing - it's just the enter bug. Do you have a JIRA # for this already or should I verify the bug and put it into the intake queue?

Thanks!

15. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

16. Echondas

Thanks! I will merge the threads
    @DavidDC

DavidDC likes this.
  17. Justyn

Justyn Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Fix Needs Testing - 1519

Thread Status: