Is Gold Inflation a Problem?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oplek, Jan 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CICI

CICI Avatar

it's Easy to make gold! :D

lower new gold going in to the game by descending gold prices on items sold to the npc's and make players sell them on vendors!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Time Lord and Sorgin Txakal like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Whether currency or a thing, value is based within desire of one or the latter, as they are truly one in the same, as there's no compounding interest here within either, either you play the game or not.
    In our gaming world, effort still equals value because the value is in the playing, not the keeping.
    Bitcoin Anyone?
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Elrond and CICI like this.
  3. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

From what I see there is very little inflation in gold. Prices have dropped across the board on many items.

CICI likes this.
  4. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I track the all time prices at shroudoftheavatar.net and there is no sign of inflation, quite the opposite, many items get cheaper over time.
    That's why I think the company is doing fine with inflation.
    I remember hearing @Chris say on stream that they're very concerned of inflation and keep track of some factors, total amount of gold in the game being one of them if I remember correctly.
    Well, no matter what they're doing, it's working.

Sorgin Txakal likes this.
  5. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

-
    To promote clarity of thought, try discussing this issue without using the word "inflation". The concept of "inflation" can be a bit ambiguous in whether it refers to an increase in the money supply, or an increase in prices. Instead of using the word "inflation", try substituting "increase in the money (gold) supply" or "increase in prices".

Prices are affected not only by changes in the money supply, but also by changes in supply and demand. So although an increase in the money (gold) supply usually leads to an increase in prices, this is not always the case.

As far as the gold supply in SotA, Chris has stated several times recently that farming in player dungeons with Troll Rooms gives much more gold value than any other activity in SotA, and the amount of gold value being generated is a problem that he is working to fix.

See these Twitch videos for further info:

----------

Chris Chat with Elryin Silvertree - December 31, 2020
    !Shroud of the Avatar - | Interview with ATOS | New Years Eve | Party | Giveaways
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/856655698

1:37:05 Chris said he is aware that the Troll Room gives too much loot, and he will be taking a pass to adjust it.

1:42:04 tbranch227: !Question
    as someone that's invested 100 mil IGG into troll totems - please reconsider nerfing dungeons and make it easier to acquire the components to make dungeson... dungeons are ridiculously difficult to build
    - Chris answered about 01:46:35

1:47:47 tbranch227:
    I mean you have loot safe guards in place, if it's not exceeding it, what's the problem
    - Chris answered about 01:48:35

1:56:01 tbranch227:
    I mean adventure skill balance would help the loot issue too
    1:56:18 tbranch227:
    make sure you can use any school as an effective offensive skill tree would be huge for loot
    1:56:26 tbranch227:
    and add more creativity to the game
    1:58:50 tbranch227:
    Builds require quality loot
    1:58:55 tbranch227:
    plenty of garbage rings in game now
    1:59:42 tbranch227:
    having an effective water tree build, earth, etc could help balance the appreciation of loot - if there's more value in the builds, there's more value in the loot that buffs them
    1:59:50 coswald_dirthmire:
    I think he means everyone's ina few metas, using the same gear. If there was more variety more of the artifacts that drop would be in demand, and be considered good loot
    2:00:00 tbranch227:
    goes into food now, artifacts, adds more demand for crafted items
    - Chris answered about 02:00:40

----------

Friday Stream Questions - January 8, 2021
    Atos fixing bugs, taking Q&A, and giving out free stuff!
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/866292214

4:18 Contra28: !question
    Was it a deliberate choice to make gold generation from grinding not scale much? it seems so difficult to extract money from the game system non reliant on other players
    - Chris answered about 00:35:20

----------

There are also some interesting discussions in general chat on the official SotA Discord. Try searching for the word "troll".

----------

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.