FYI: archery changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Dec 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't know about you all but I'm constantly moving, which means PvE enemies are also constantly moving (chasing me). Both solutions in @Chris' tweets would pretty much suck for me.

[edit] And many of those enemies are super fast (skeletons, shadow creatures, etc) so... yeah.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  2. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Ah, yes! Target velocity is going to affect a grandmaster archer... because they don't know how to lead a target... *sighs*

Cordelayne and FrostII like this.
  3. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Sure write to Atos to give new arties to the archer, or pump up any archer skill :D

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Not just you, @Barugon - any/all archers. :mad:
    And all this work - for what - the dozen PvP'rs we have !
    When will people - talkin to you Catnip - ever learn that there can NEVER be a FAIR balance achieved between combat in PvE vs PvP - and these new changes to archery only serve to prove it. :confused:
    I am NOT a happy camper with these concepts. :mad:

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I expect that Aimed Shot will just become a worthless skill.

FrostII and Cordelayne like this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It sounds like so long as they're not moving away from you, it'll be okay. Whether or not it actually works that way remains to be seen.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

He didn't say anything about relative velocity and knowing their previous work, it'll be the simplest thing.

Past Blue Ribbon, Anpu and Cordelayne like this.
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Chris: Another option would be to just decrease crit damage multiplier based on velocity of target for ranged attacks. Again, make sense, doesn't hurt PVE much, introduces another strategic element for archers to pay attention to.

Localio: How about based on direction of movement relative to the shooter ? Hitting enemies running away, or approaching shouldn't decrease damages.

Chris: Ooh, I like that. It is also something that PVE won't do much BUT skillful PVP'ers can do which again reinforces the "Not a nerf for PVE" aspect.

Browncoat Jayson: Seems like a death knell for archery in offline mode. The way aggro works, you basically have to go melee or end up kiting a bunch of mobs around for archery. Less damage for moving makes that skill even less useful, taking away one of the few choices for ranged characters.

Chris: Reduced damage will be based on velocity perpendicular to the player. So target chasing you will not reduce damage much if any.

https://twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1352585062005551104

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I expect that it will have a significant impact on PvE but we'll see.

FrostII likes this.
  11. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

These changes won't help balancing PvP, they'll only hurt PvE archers.
    Why not just add a freaking counter to crit damage stacking (skill, consumable, spell, anything!) for players to use, which wouldn't even touch PvE players?

12. Restless

Restless Avatar

This nerf is actually really good. Archers are incredibly op in PvE.

Spinok likes this.
  13. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

I make 500 teleport to zone scrolls every week. Within an hour I used no less than 10 teleport to zone scroll. Jumping from boss to boss. The number your quoting just show how people are jump from boss to boss, this has nothing to do with population of the game.

If I am using that much scrolls, many more people are doing the same and if the population was good, that number should be in the millions.

14. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Why not buff other classes and skills instead of continuously nerfing archery?

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Listening to the livestream now and the explanation of what @Chris is planning for Aimed Shot sounds like it'll be okay. He also mentioned that bows will now count as one handed for fizzle (they're still two handed but fizzle should be a lot better).

Also, if you read this Chris, the reason that people don't use Absorb Impacts is because of the massive increase in damage that your armor takes in order to get a small boost in damage resistance. If you really want people to use Absorb Impacts then eliminate (or at least massively reduce) the armor durability penalty.

16. Restless

Restless Avatar

If archery is left alone and everything else buffed - the entire game will need to be equalized on math for health, damage resist, dodge, avoidance, base weapon dmg and crit modifiers for both pve and pvp.

It's no secret development on sota is slow. Do you really want everything left unbalanced for years just so you can see bigger numbers?

Spinok likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Oh yeah, ERG is also gonna get "adjusted".

18. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Yes, I want my numbers to always increase as I progress in the game.

As an archer, my numbers keep going down for some time instead of getting better.

What's the point of playing an RPG in which my progress is stomped by nerfs every month?

And lastly, your assumption is just plain wrong, assuming if other classes get a bump the game will be totally unbalanced and somehow too easy for everyone needing a major rework.

If much, boosting other classes will make these players go up a tier or just kill stuff a bit faster.

I already see many classes doing very well in PvE, such as fire mages, bludgeon (eternal stun lock guaranteed), polearms (good stunlock too) and tamers (can face way stronger enemies than any archet would). I think the blades tree may need more love because I don't see too many people playing that way.

In PvP the main problem is archers discharging 1-2k damage before the melee guys can get near. Wield a shield and this is not very much true.

19. tyorl999

tyorl999 Avatar

or let it stand like it is.

I am a Blade DD;
    when our guild is raiding (a mix oof Adv Levels from 100 to 130) we are a real nice balanced raid ( for leamars Bazar, the Breach, Spindlegroog extrem, and other High Level Scenes)
    we have a tank who holds the aggro,
    we have a healer for the tank
    we have a bard for crit and focus bonus;
    and we have a few archer and bldugeon (and firemages if they are usefull) for damage over time ...
    and we have ME, a Blade DD with the rend ddover time who finishes the mobs with the coup de grace ... and when I say finish, I mean finish

End the end of the raid, the dmg is even between Archer, DD Blade, Bludgeon and Fire ..so why buff or nerv some class , just o make this dozen people happy which do pvp and tons of people unhappy who dont wanna do pvp?

@Chris I invite you to follow our raids in gm-mode and see the balance between the classes when there is good balanced group ...
    we are raiding each tuesday 1 PM ET and each sunday 11am ET (we are European, so its afternoon or evening for us)

20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Adjust everything up will do the same thing as adjusting 1 thing down, the only difference is psychological. If everything else moves up, other stuffs gonna end up being fotm and the one thing that made the whole game have to change around it is still now less effective by comparison.

The thing with the ranged changes is that he is obviously, after reading his latest changes, trying to fix crit damage for pvp without lowering everythings crit damage directly. In the current scenario it actually would have probably left ranged skills alone if he had just straight up nerfed crit buffs.

Taking the route he’s taking tho it would be a good idea to back off those previous focus adjustments

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.