1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Needs More Info] Losing pet target selection

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by StarLord, Dec 21, 2020.

1. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

In former releases I could target my pet once and cast several heal/frenzy spells on it without the need of targeting it newly.
    I only lost the selection when misclicking on a different pet by accident.
    One exception AFAIK: when standing inside another pet usually this pet became a temp target, moving out of it did toggle back the target to my own pet.

With R85 I loose my pet selection very often, e.g. when attacking a mob (even when only selecting it with "next target", not by clicking).
    The target will then be determined by distance (seems to be independent of direction) and often select the wrong pet.
    Possible root cause could be the new single click select - however I am not actively using that.
    Note: I can see my pet target selection when not attacking a mob, but targeting a mob will overwrite that info on screen, so its hard to tell if my pet is still selected.
    Please revert back to the old selection method - or (preferred) allow to fix the selection to my own pet only.

2. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I tried reproducing this but am not having much luck. I have F2 bound to Target Pet and used that - I also tried by clicking on it to target it. I then fought a lot of bears and was targeting them using tab as well as clicking them, and kept healing my pet OK - the blue reticle icon stayed on my pet the entire time.

Did you perhaps hit the ESC key at all during this time? That will remove your targeted pet.

3. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

To confirm: I dont use ESC during combat, and only very rarely outside.
    There is no problem when only 1 pet is available, but with 2 I run into issues.
    With only 1 pet it will always be auto selected even if not explicitly selected before.

I have not yet tried binding a key to my pet (was not aware of that :-( - will try that tomorrow.

I was only selecting my pet via mouse (clicking on the pet status on the top left side - NOT on the pet itself on main screen) and targeting enemies via tab only (also not clicking them directly in the scene)

4. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@StarLord Ah.. so the secret sauce might be having a party member with a pet out also? I'll see if I can reproduce that way..

5. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

You need a 2nd party member with a pet.
    With only 1 pet it will always be targeted.
    I have found a way to 100% reproduce:
    Target your pet, then stand into the other pet and cast a spell - it will target the other pet and the selection will also switch. That new selection will stay when you move too.
    Note: in former releases the spell had also been cast on the pet you were standing in, however (not 100% sure, but pretty much) the selection was switched back to your own pet once you stepped out of the other pet
    Note2: to stand in an other pet is not the only way to switch pet target selection, however the only one I can reproduce 100%.
    Note3: to key bind the own pet target is a good mitigation - thanks

6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@StarLord, is this still happening with "double click to target" enabled since chris added the checkbox to toggle it in settings > interface, second from the bottom?

7. Hawkwind

Hawkwind Avatar

I am also having these issues stated above. When in a group, sometimes, not always, I can target my pet and go to put a buff on him and it will land on either another player or players pet. This also happens with frenzy in a group with other players with pets and it will sometimes hit another players pet instead of my own.

8. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

It seems kind of fixed.
    I can target my pet, then step into another pet and cast a spell - it will target the other pet as long as I stand in it (but my own pet still is selected on the left side just right of my avatars name).
    Once I step out of the other pet all spells will target my own pet again.
    So the selection stays with my own pet, only as long as I stand in another pet this one will be targeted
    Note: this is now both with double click enabled AND also for disabled

9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I have experienced this as well. Here is what I think happens :

1. You target your own pet.
    2. Your "crosshair" has another target closer to it's center
    3. Your spell targets the target closer to your crosshair, ignoring your selected target (Your own pet).

This only happens in groups, but I have noticed that casting Frenzy and Heal Pet were being cast on my friends Bear instead of my Wolf.