1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Showing damage type in combat log

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Chiasma, Feb 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

Hope to see the damage type (e.g. physical damage, air magic damage, fire magic damage, etc...) in combat log so we may know how to reduce damage from certain creatures ;)

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

The combat log does track damages by "type".
    Having said that, the log does not say when the damage is "Physical".

For instance, here's some examples from my chat log:

74 points of damage from Immolation.
    106 points of damage from Ring of Fire.
    17 points of damage from Fire Arrow.​
    * As shown, these were obviously all Fire damages *

42 points of damage from Crossbow.
    31 points of damage from Rapid Fire.​
    * What is NOT shown here, is that these are all Physical damages *

Damages always show what "caused" the damage, with the exception being any attack that does "Physical" damages - it doesn't say it's "Physical", but if you think about any attack like Rapid Fire or Crossbow - they are obviously "physical".

Anpu likes this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I think the issue is that they often aren't known. Dragon fire attacks are commonly stated to be physical attacks, and not fire/elemental attacks. (I don't know where that comes from, but I hear it a lot.) So seeing "400 points of damage from Dragon Fire" doesn't really mean much.

Chiasma likes this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Well, I "assume" that Dragon Fire would be "Fire" damage... would it not?

5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Where is that stated, @Cora Cuz'avich ?
    Chat log example pls...

6. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Not by anybody official. I see it on Discord a lot, by players. I'm not saying they're right, just that the the current method doesn't prove or disprove them, which is why people want it to be more specific.
    Yeah, that's my point. Lotsa people seem to think otherwise. But to their point, "Dragon Fire" is just a descriptive name of the attack, and doesn't say one way or the other.

I think the main reason is that raising DR seems to affect damage from dragon attacks, while raising elemental resistance doesn't. Or at least, that's what they report. I have no opinion one way or the other.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

*Actual examples are fire elementals just do physical damage. Ice elementals do physical damage. Xavra only does physical damage. Ghosts actually do magic damage to you.

To tell if something is doing a physical attack, use Death Shield. If you get healed from an attack, that’s physical damage.

*Having 0 fire resistance or 120% fire resistance doesn’t effect any damage you receive at all from fire elementals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.