Catnip Games Monthly Fishing Tourney

Discussion in 'Recurring Player Events' started by Elgarion, Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

Any Gov's want to host me for next week?

RHEC Traveling Fishing Contest

Just need a town water spot on the docks :)

Hit me up here or @Asmodi M'hul in game

*You don't have to be a Catnip town*

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  2. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Week 39's winners will be announced on the livestream today, and week 40's objectives are listed below -- good luck anglers! Lots of great updates for the fishing contest coming soon. Feel free to start posting ideas for an upcoming monthly format change starting with Release 87 as was described in today's update:

FISHING PRIZES & OBJECTIVES:
    All prizes will be no-trade. Players may donate additional prizes in the name of their guilds or towns to sweeten the pot. This event timeframe is Friday the 5th at Noon CT to Friday the 12th at Noon CT, and these are the prizes and goals for the indicated week:

Largest FETID WATER Fish (Town):
    -- Rules: Must be caught from one of these towns. Governors can request a loaner water conversion statue to meet water requirements.
    -- Prizes: Player Owned Town Row Lot Deed, Large Gold Fishing Trophy, Master Angler Title

Knight's Watch (@Belladonna Rose)
    Krabnevir (@Grumpy Krabnevir)
    Meadow's Edge, Mistrendur Central Island (@Jefe)

Largest Fish (PvP):
    -- Rules: Must be caught in Kas Ruins
    -- Prizes: 2 Chained Obsidian Shard 3-Packs, Large Silver Fishing Trophy, Master Angler Title

Largest Lava Fish:
    -- Rules: Must be caught in Quel Passage
    -- Prizes: Fishing Rod of Prosperity, Large Bronze Fishing Trophy, Master Angler Title

Participation Prizes:
    -- Rules: Everyone who caught at least 1 trophy fish in this week's locations
    -- Prizes: Small Silver Fishing Trophy

CROSS-OVER EVENTS:
    Prizes provided by the Community Manager will be available for participants and winners of the Fishing event, but governors, guild leaders and players are welcome to sweeten the pot by providing additional prizes based on objective criteria entirely of their own design. In fact, please consider planning events to overlap the duration and chosen weekly locations of the PvP and Fishing developer events. Please post these events in the in-game events forums and the Community Manager will promote accordingly. Please submit links to event threads which take place in the spotlighted towns, PvP zone or PvE zone.

Current Crossovers:

-- Islands of Wonders Monthly Fishing Contest: Don’t miss out on more prizes with this monthly fishing contest in Isle of Wonders! Good luck, Anglers!
    -- RHEC Traveling Pop Up Fishing Contest: Keep an eye out in universe and trade chat this weekend! Asmodi M’hul will be announcing at least one pop up fishing contest for those anglers out there anxious for extra prizes and fun! Don’t miss out!

NEXT WEEK'S ROUND OF POTs:
    To aid governors better plan, the next round of POTs to compete (freshwater) will be from Noon to Noon, Friday to Friday, February 12th to February 19th:
    Dragomir Mori (@CatherineRose)
    Arlia (@Zeek Latreck )
    Caer Dracwych (@Bowen Bloodgood)

Sonja, Sean Silverfoot, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  3. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

The PVP and Lava scene are the same as last week @Elgarion?

4. Elgarion

Crap, no -- I didn't edit that. If someone sends Elgarion anything during this timeframe from those places, I'll send them the oooops consolation trophy. Changing now. Should be Dysborg Ruins and Spectral Mines. Updating the main post in a sec. Thanks for the heads up Sorgin.

5. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

yeah be sure to update that this week darlin. Alot of confusion last week on the pvp and lava

Sonja likes this.
  6. Elgarion

Will do ;)

In case folks missed the Week 39 announcement, here's the winners:
    Week 39

Robert Frost, Tiger Shark, 5.421 (Lained)
    POT Towns (Player Owned Town Row Lot Deed, Large Gold Fishing Trophy, Title)

D'laein lachlan, King Salmon, 2.319 (Kas Ruins)
    PvP (2 Chained Obsidian Shard 3-Packs, Large Silver Fishing Trophy, Title)

D'laein lachlan, Dunkleosteus, 6.466 (Quel Passage)
    Lava (Fishing Rod of Prosperity, Large Bronze Fishing Trophy, Title)
    And here are the new objectives for week 41. Week 40's winners will be announced on today's livestream.

FISHING PRIZES & OBJECTIVES:
    All prizes will be no-trade. Players may donate additional prizes in the name of their guilds or towns to sweeten the pot. This event timeframe is Friday the 12th at Noon CT to Friday the 19th at Noon CT, and these are the prizes and goals for the indicated week:

Largest FRESHWATER Fish (Town):

-- Rules: Must be caught from one of these towns. Governors can request a loaner water conversion statue to meet water requirements.
    -- Prizes: Player Owned Town Row Lot Deed, Large Gold Fishing Trophy, Master Angler Title

Dragomir Mori (@CatherineRose)
    Arlia (@Zeek Latreck )
    Caer Dracwych (@Bowen Bloodgood)
    Largest Fish (PvP):
    -- Rules: Must be caught in The Brave Coast
    -- Prizes: 2 Chained Obsidian Shard 3-Packs, Large Silver Fishing Trophy, Master Angler Title

Largest Lava Fish:

-- Rules: Must be caught in Sunless Barrens
    -- Prizes: Fishing Rod of Prosperity, Large Bronze Fishing Trophy, Master Angler Title

Participation Prizes:

-- Rules: Everyone who caught at least 1 trophy fish in this week's locations
    -- Prizes: Small Silver Fishing Trophy

CROSS-OVER EVENTS:
    Prizes provided by the Community Manager will be available for participants and winners of the Fishing event, but governors, guild leaders and players are welcome to sweeten the pot by providing additional prizes based on objective criteria entirely of their own design. In fact, please consider planning events to overlap the duration and chosen weekly locations of the PvP and Fishing developer events. Please post these events in the in-game events forums and the Community Manager will promote accordingly. Please submit links to event threads which take place in the spotlighted towns, PvP zone or PvE zone.

Current Crossovers:

-- Islands of Wonders Monthly Fishing Contest: Don’t miss out on more prizes with this monthly fishing contest in Isle of Wonders! Good luck, Anglers!
    -- RHEC Traveling Pop Up Fishing Contest: Keep an eye out in universe and trade chat this weekend! Asmodi M’hul will be announcing at least one pop up fishing contest for those anglers out there anxious for extra prizes and fun! Don’t miss out!

NEXT WEEK'S ROUND OF POTs:
    To aid governors better plan, the next round of POTs to compete (saltwater) will be from Noon to Noon, Friday to Friday, February 19th to February 26th:
    Islands of Wonders, Novia Near PaxLair (@Sole)
    Rock Ridge, Mistrendur Middle Island (@Redhammer)
    Devil's Lair (@Trinity)

Sonja, Anpu, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  7. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Sonja, Sole, Elgarion and 2 others like this.
  8. Brighton Rock

Brighton Rock Avatar

Sonja, Elgarion, Net and 1 other person like this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Doh! That week flew by! Was just about to fix it, thanks. :)

Done..

Sonja, Elgarion, Net and 1 other person like this.
  10. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

RHEC Fishing Traveling Popups will be in Rock Ridge this coming week!
    Tomorrow at 2pm CST will be the final contest in Ironhall, then I set sail for Rock Ridge.
    It'll be good to be in home port for saltwater week :D

Sonja, Elgarion and FrostII like this.
  11. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

So, wanted to shine a light on this for those who didn't read the updates:

And, of course, bring my suggestions up since this is the right space to do it :D

• Please add Blood Bay and The Fall into the PVP fishing rotation locations.
      • There is no lava location for PVP currently, Blood Bay has lava flows, but they are not fishable - please consider making them fishable
      • The Fall is currently one of the most popular PVP areas and the weeks that it was there would add a significant thrill.
    • Many people are tepid about the idea of PVP for fear of losing items
      • Opalis Ruins is a good introduction area to PVP, perhaps a small lake can be added in it somewhere?
      • Maybe instead Brave Coast could be toggled to no ransom and level capped so there is one PVP scene with player housing that is level capped & no ransom and one that isn't?
    • If the technology exists for temporary titles, would it be possible for there to be a special PVP tile that only lasts for a week and/or until a differnet PVP winner comes up?

• There are certain fish that, when caught, can end the contest for the rest of the week (Granted, extending the contests to a month will solve a lot of this problem).
      • In lava fishing, Plesiosaurs, Large Mosasaurs, and Large Plesiosaurs can exceed 7.0 Au and are all rare enough to where all three are generally not caught by the same person on the same day
      • In fetid water, Sturgeons and Alligator Gars are relatively close and are the largest fish, and there is a chance of getting a large of either
      • Saltwater fishing, Tiger Sharks win above all and a Large Tiger Shark is a guaranteed victory no matter at what point in the week it is caught
      • Freshwater fishing, King Salmon win above all and a Large King Salmon is a guaranteed victory no matter at what point in the week it is caught
        • My suggestion would be to look at adding another large fish to the salt water and fresh water tables to make these two waters more of a diverse competition
          • Bull Sharks would be just a re-skinning and shrinking of the current tiger shark model, and bull sharks are fresh and salt water fish so they could be a super rare catch in fresh, on par with king salmon, and be something a little more common, but smaller in salt water.
          • Already a squid model in the game, it could be scaled up and made competitive with the rare tiger sharks & large variant

• Might want to take a look at the bait meta.
      • Do blood leeches offer a bonus to catching sharks? Is it just that there are not enough sharks catchable to see the results of this bait?
      • Are bait squids supposed to be the best bait for salt, fetid, and fresh water?
      • Eels as a rare trophy bait for fresh water?

Thanks for considering :)

12. Elgarion

We can't do blood bay because of housing also. People could just fish in their dungeons, and it still shows as being in Blood Bay. Perhaps if it was lava fishing we could, but we'd need a functional lava fishing spot. Hopefully in the next pass when more fishing locations are added like the last lava scrub. On that note, The Brave Coast has the same issue, so perhaps that one needs to go away for a bit.

Good idea about Opalis Ruins. I'm starting to think The Brave Coast needs to bounce since it allows cheating by fishing in a dungeon, however.

Maybe we just don't do "biggest overall fish" every time, but perhaps biggest of a certain type or even smallest or nearest a certain AU to mix things up a bit.

I found a lot of the fishing stuff recently while working on the cooking recipes. When I get into renaming the fish next month (like I did for gems for easier inventory sorting/filtering) and hopefully having time to work on message in a bottle stuff, I'll dive into these to see how bait affects things since I'll be adding to the fishing loot tables.

Lots of suggestions here that are beyond contest formatting though, so some dev time considerations for sure :)

Sonja, Serenia, FrostII and 4 others like this.
  13. Net

Net Avatar

Well, I see your point, but there are only two lots in The Brave Coast and neither has basement let alone dungeon.

Also, afaik (and I may be wrong) we cannot fish salt water fish in dungeons (nor lava fish), and both scenes have salt water (not 100% about the Blood Bay), so you really cannot compete by fishing in the dungeon.

That being said, I think that it would be nice for NPC-towns to get their own rotation category, as we cannot change water type like we can in POTs) and both the Brave Coast and especially the Blood Bay would fit nicely there.

PS: I would love if there was no ransom in The Brave Coast, maybe more people would dare to visit then.

Sonja, Elgarion and Sorgin Txakal like this.
  14. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Sonja, Yigg Endimion, Sole and 2 others like this.
  15. Elgarion

Ah, I believe the water is not fishable in Blood Bay other than a tiny little spot just above a waterfall, which is fresh water. But yes, good thinking -- if The Brave Coast is all salt water, then we're probably golden to keep that one alive. NPC town rotations are a nice idea to include. I'll try to work that in.

I'd like to figure out the ransom, no ransom settings, as well as the scaling settings so we can have a variety of options. I'll put in my notes to dig around. Gotta ask Chris on this one as well.

Sonja, Wilfred, Net and 1 other person like this.
  16. Net

Net Avatar

Ah, well, I hope there will be more fishing options in Blood Bay eventually, it is in the middle of the ocean, there should be salt fishing )and lava fishing).
    The Brave Coast is all salt water.

[QUOTE="Elgarion, post: 1312865, member: 50454"I'd like to figure out the ransom, no ransom settings, as well as the scaling settings so we can have a variety of options. I'll put in my notes to dig around. Gotta ask Chris on this one as well.[/QUOTE]
    Would be great, I am not sure if you do the PvP events again, but it would be great if there were some no ransom scenes for those, it is a lot less hassle to participate.

Sonja and Sorgin Txakal like this.
  17. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Ya, I think Lava fishing in Blood Bay would make the whole dungeon thing irrelevant, then there would be one lava PVP fishing location in game or maybe we can poke at @Sannio for an eventual Ep 2 hybrid PVP Adventure/housing area focused around lava flows and platforming. (Kobold-inspired gust ball field with lava as the boundaries!)

Though I think blood bay could be an opportunity for a natural fun king of the hill type experience as well since the lava flows are only on a small mountain in the center. Stealth or no stealth, PVP fishing trophies that week would be earned :cool:

Sonja and Net like this.
  18. Serr Peters

Serr Peters Avatar

I cant see PvP Lava fishing as a good thing. Sneak up on a fisherman, smack them, then Gust them into the lava.

Sonja and Net like this.
  19. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I mean, what's the point of having fishing contests in PVP areas if not to make it a thrilling mini game of king of the hill?

People should be constantly looking over their shoulders in PVP zones - adding a casual activity to the mix should be a thrilling thing where you are vulnerable for a few seconds, not an activity you can do for hours on end.

Sonja and Net like this.
  20. Lained

Lained Avatar

the lava fishing low success chance really doesn't need interrupting. :)

Sonja and FrostII like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.