Air Shield users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Dec 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

Just got an ancient green too! (#2!)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    FrostII likes this.
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, I was surprised to see the ancient white in the snowy tundra encounter. I'm not sure what the other color there is.

FrostII likes this.
  3. Restless

Restless Avatar

This is because you simply don't know how to pvp. :)

4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

blue

FrostII likes this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Lame. I mean, I guess it's an icy color, but they're everywhere. Though, if you can get an ancient blue...

6. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

which overworld creature is that encounter in?

Past Blue Ribbon and FrostII like this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Wolves in Mistrendur, but only in the snowy areas. If you're in other spots, you'll get the plains encounter. I don't know if dragons show up in the wolf version of the plains. They do in the stag plains encounter, but it's the same as Hidden Vale, blue or purple.

FrostII likes this.
  8. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Oh the lovely git gud argument is back :D

Anpu likes this.
  9. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

I think players should learn to adopt changes made by game developer. Balance fix is very common in all MMO. I have played other online game mainly in PVE but those PVP players always complain how weak they are. The game developers made frequent combat balance fix and those players continues whining everyday even though they still play the game. Most of them switched class or changed their play style instead.

Saying player quit is not a strong reason to avoid change. One may also say that player will quit if the game developer not going to fix it. Things always have two sides.

Violet Ronso, FrostII, Net and 3 others like this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Code:
    git clone https://github.com/benthayer/git-gud

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Forgive my ignorance, @Barugon
    I'm spec'd in air and taming and have fun with the build, but never considered myself one of the top in any way.
    Could you be more specific in what you call "content that was intended for high level groups" please... ;)

12. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

I checked my air shield, rapid discharge and air specialization and I have over 4 billion xp invested in those three skills. Closing in on 4 billion. When I play I put xp into my air tree because I want to max it out. To make the air tree as powerful as I can. My toon would be way stronger if I reallocated the xp to other skills. But this game was about doing what you wanted. I put up with air’s downsides - a deal I made to have fun and be an air guy. That was my play style and I enjoyed it.

I clicked the link to Twitter (I don’t do any social media - so the link was my first time to read the decision I thought was being considered - but now I know that it is certain - .2 is the cap for air shield). To say I am disappointed is an understatement.

If I cannot improve my shield, why keep playing to add xp to my air tree? Billions more xp will do nothing for me. The devs forgot the first rule of economics - incentives drive behavior. Why would I play if I cannot gain more power?

I have leaned also my bard skill used to replenish my focus is being whacked too. Because I guess, why not?

I had been having so much fun too.

I have been close to ‘rage’ quitting one or twice before, something fueled usually by Dalmore 25 and a mortifying dose of immaturity. I have stopped enjoying Dalmore (something my liver, wife and wallet all agree was a good decision) and I try to act my age. Try.

But this change is not something that makes me mad. It just makes me sad. Time, effort and dedication for thousands of hours to reach a goal wiped out by decision - and a poor one - to change the rules under which I operated for all this time. It is demoralizing. I think that is the best way to describe it.

I plan to take a long break from the boards and need to step away from active playing of my only game. I feel a bond with the player base and the SOTA family that at times moves me sincerely. Example is the amazing efforts to raise money for one of our own. I want to keep that feeling.

But I had began to play more regularly lately - something that made me happy. But I care not to work toward goals that are arbitrary and easily taken away from me. And since grinding to add xp to my air tree will now leave me with billions of xp to make lightning do 2 more min/max damage, what would be the point? Answer - there is none.

I will not be on the boards anymore - this is my last post. I may decorate my town now, but I am terrible at deco so that may not work.

The Boar got King Robert - his spirit is dead.

I wish you all well, and I want this game to succeed. My chapter as an active player ends today. Thank you all for years of fun, friendship and happiness building up a community and a Novia itself. I learned much from so many of you.

Wilfred, FBohler, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Beware the gaseous emissions of King Robert!

14. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

They would not just leave you with nothing to work towards. instead possibility based on response was perhaps instead to augment the change with more attunement which intern equates to more dmg which is good for an Air mage as air dmg is not up there enough imo.

15. Restless

Restless Avatar

Do you have any idea how many players have left and didn't make a big show about it? I know more than I can count on my hands and feet...

I'm really not sure why people think being salty on the forum helps. /shrug

Violet Ronso likes this.
  16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I don't know. I mean, for one, that was less rage-y than most "totally done with this game" posts. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying goodbye if you were previously fairly active in the community and on the forums. Especially in that case, as to avoid people wondering if you''re alright if you went from posting a lot to not at all. I mean, if you average 20 posts a year, and then suddenly post a two-page ranting "I'm outta here" screed, that should be met with a firm eyeroll. If you are super active, people will probably want to know if you've left.

That said, it is tricky to make a goodbye post without coming off as a little dramatic.

FBohler and FrostII like this.
  17. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I agree, although good bye based on something that has not happened yet or with out knowing the results of the change could be premature as we don't know really anything other than a thought from Chris on this and that he is looking at away to balance it so that we dont have immortal folks running around. At the rate of progression and the fact we are only on ep2 of 5 and some are up in the 150's now they only have 50 more to go until they reach that 200 cap then what... ep2 cap becomes 300? than 400. the issue now is the progession speed at the higher level is so low to get .1 more than I can understand some peoples frustrations as they are fighting for that once of power. been there many times 5 to be exact where I was nerfed and the scale pushed me back 100 levels per say in power. it was rough but now I am back to where I was then.

Like Chris once said he didnt not expect people to level so fast and we often surprise the devs with how fast we can do things compared to what they expected we often exceed that a lot. So there are a few way up there that is what prompts for these changes as they realize where things are on the top end and where it needs to be adjusted in order to balance that out so that content matches what is expected.

Fetid SirDidy likes this.
  18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, I think that is one of the somewhat unfortunate elements of the design. Early on it took forever to get anywhere, to the point that if you weren't playing 6 hours day you'd never get anywhere, and you stood a good chance of getting bored with the game before ever setting foot in the Rise or fighting a dragon. And now, you can go so fast you can pretty much skip most of the content if you want to.

I think it might have been better for the long term if the skill tress had been designed in steps/rungs. So ep 1 skills could be leveled to a point where they were able to solo most or all non-group content, but would be largely ineffective against ep2 content, with the exception of maybe some of the buffs. Ep 2 would bring in new trees, and further "rungs" of existing trees that would allow you to continue to progress. Of course, that's just as hard to implement, with the slow development time, the people who like to grind have so much xp stored up, they could probably GM any new trees or skill rungs in less than an hour.

Sorgin Txakal and Anpu like this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Here's the way I see it: if anyone is able to achieve invulnerability, you know for sure that there will be changes to prevent it. If those changes are an adjustment to the way the focus transfer is calculated (and therefore affects everyone using Shield of Air) then there will probably be many people just giving up. If they give high level mobs the spell that removes Shield of Air (Torpid Torment?) then there will probably be many people just giving up. If they cap the transfer then they only upset those who are able to achieve invulnerability or are able to get close (yes, reducing all damage by 90% and then only applying it to focus is coming very close to invulnerability).

I think that most people can see the reasonable choice here.

20. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The thing I like about these kind of changes on the other hand is that, no, if you change nothing to your build & gear, putting more exp in those skills will not help you, but you could potentially start changing things around once you hit the cap, remove pieces that have dexterity, invest in more firepower instead, as long as you are at the cap, you can now play around with your character and touch other things.

Now I haven't tried the changes that have happened (Thanks Valheim!), so am I wrong in my comment, potentially, but this is what I think the impact should be on the skills which are receiving caps, that you simply find the way to reach those caps using a mix of gear and stats, and as your skills get higher, you need less gear for that specific investment, allowing you to branch out more.

FBohler and Barugon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.