A reasonable review

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by that_shawn_guy, Mar 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

It's good to see review from a more recent player.

Spinok, Mal Hari, Elwyn and 9 others like this.
  2. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Now that is a well-done review, fair and in-depth

Mal Hari and that_shawn_guy like this.
  3. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

Very recent video. I remember the crown shop discount is from yesterday :)

Mal Hari, that_shawn_guy and Net like this.
  4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Great review!

Mal Hari likes this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It's good, but... why do they always get the Crown stuff wrong?

Though, he seemed to confuse town lots with player owned towns, and said you could get a town for $500, so at least he got things wrong in a less-bad-looking way.

I suppose, though, anybody who plays enough to get it all right is probably someone who likes the game, and will thus be labeled a cheerleader and their review disregarded...

Cordelayne, Net and Mal Hari like this.
  6. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

as often as reviewers get stuff wrong, one might think some of this stuff was confusing.....

Net, Mal Hari, Elwyn and 3 others like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Can you even buy a town right now? Are they still available?

Mal Hari likes this.
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

They are. Or, have become available again. I forget when that happened, maybe 6-8 months ago? I've almost pulled the trigger a half dozen times. But the deco level is too low in any town I can afford, and for me, that would be the whole point. Plus, I'd have to buy a crap ton of lot deeds and store items to make anything halfway interesting looking, which would pretty much double the amount it'd cost me to get a town.
    True. I don't fault them for getting the confusing stuff wrong, though. The town lot/player town thing, I get; that naming is pretty confusing. It's when they get really basic stuff that isn't hard that annoys me. Or omitting things to make the game sound worse. The only home price he mentioned was like, a city lot home. There's only a few of those, and many more in the $9-$15 range. He did mention you can get a house free in game, but the takeaway there is going to be "houses cost $200." Why not say, "houses go anywhere from $9 up to $200, and the smallest lot size comes with a default house for free. Plus, you can even craft some homes from materials gathered in the game." None of that is difficult to figure out.

Mal Hari, Wilfred, Anpu and 3 others like this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Remember when houses were called house "deeds"? (insufficiently distinct from "lot deeds") That was confusing to new people who were actually trying to play.

Net, Mal Hari and Anpu like this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, sticker shock on that shiot.

Mal Hari likes this.
  11. Everwind

Everwind Avatar

When I was looking at the crown store what I understood from how its worded makes it seem like the Town/City lots are ACTUAL towns. I knew of the website purchases for towns but I thought those were the more "fancy" towns you could buy. I assumed you could purchase a town deed or lot or whatever item you need to make a town straight from the crown store.

There is a lot I left out but the video is already teetering on 30 mins most people are going to disregard it anyways because its a longer video and as someone who's been making MMORPG videos for about a year or so, none of my videos are never
    "enough" for everyone. I'm always missing something that someone will question why I didn't include it. Realistically I can't include absolutely everything, there is a reason most MMORPG "reviews" are just first impressions of their first hour or so and nothing longer. Unless a youtube channel is dedicated to a particular game, no one really bothers to "review" MMORPGs. Plus my "Should you Play" series isn't meant to be a full in depth review, more of a; here are things you MAY or MAY not like about the game, from there you will have a better idea on if you would want to play said game.

I've comments on the video asking "How do you not know about X event or Y controversy and Z thing during development." I establish in the beginning of the video I wasn't there during that time nor is the video about that. Its an opinion from a new player perspective. I personally enjoyed certain aspects and disliked others. My overall hopes was to convince those who have either never heard of the game or was on the fence about playing it to give them the slight edge into either playing the game or deciding that the game wasn't for them.

I will say though the community did give me more then enough information on aspects as I was in chat everyday I played asking questions and I tried to get people to give me feedback before I actual posted the video live and no one said anything about the housing mistake so I am trying but if no one helps me catch those things even when I am asking for the help all I can do is take the L.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  12. Net

Net Avatar

The lot deeds were always confusing to me. Can you place town lot in a city? Can you place village lot only in a village and not in town?
    I do not understand why they are not small, medium, large lots (row is fine) and possibly XL and XXL for Keep and City.

Anyway, the review is fine and honest. There are some mistakes (or rather inaccuracies), but that happens if you play the game only for a short while and do not know everything.

Anpu likes this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Fair enough. And I agree, that particular wording is confusing.

My complaint was less directed at you specifically than all reviews in general. The Crown Store is always presented as the most "controversial" aspect of the game, but then the details are always off. Criticism is fine, but it has to be accurate.

And as I said, the only thing that I think was misleading was the part about house prices. Most are fairly reasonably priced, and increase in cost with size. And there are a few "ornate" ones that come at a premium price. You only mentioned the $200 price specifically, and then indicated there were cheaper ones. While technically accurate, it could leave the viewer with the impression most of them are expensive, and there are only a few cheaper ones.

There were a few other things, but mostly minor and irrelevant. Otherwise, it was a fair and well-done review.

Everwind and Net like this.
  14. oplek

oplek Avatar

Now usually, I'd comment that you should be able to get everything in the game for $100... and even that's being mind-blowingly generous... but okay fine. The slippery slope wins, as the gaming industry incrementally gets us all used to spending more and more of our retirements on their nonsense. I'm going to change my position to saying that the minimum cost of anything in the game should be $10,000 - for transient non-existent items that cease to exist as soon as the company goes under. Let's go with that.

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I'm not saying I wouldn't want them cheaper. On the contrary, I think the houses should be no more than $10, maybe $15-$20 for extra ornate fancy ones. You're already spending a pretty good chunk of money on the lot to be able to place the house, especially if you want anything bigger than a village lot. That should be the price gating for large properties, not the visuals you place on them. My beef is just that the way the review frames housing, it could be interpreted as though the average price is $200, which is not true. Whether I agree with what is true or not isn't the argument.

16. oplek

oplek Avatar

I was curious as to what the average cost of a house is. It's about $54, assuming a mid-range cost of COTOs.

17. oplek

oplek Avatar

As a reminder, if you go indie, $54 will get you MULTIPLE WHOLE ENTIRE GAMES.

18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I don't see what your problem is, I said I agree they're too expensive.

Anpu and Net like this.
  19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Sure, if you take the entire list of houses and do a simple average. Now try it with houses VIllage size and below. You know, the ones that most players are likely to use with the free lots. And be sure to count the houses that are craftable, and that NPCs sell, as $0 in your math. Which is still bad math, because it assumes you even need a purchased house at all (rows get a default house and village lots are useful without a house) and that you pick randomly from the store.
    The houses aren't even the big cost anyhow, it's the lot deeds. That's where the two free account-bound lot deeds come in. And nothing is stopping you from starting another account, getting two more deeds, then setting both accounts as co-owner.

majoria70 and Alley Oop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.