Please remove magic cancelation field from the game/obsidian golems.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinok, Mar 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

@Elgarion @Sannio @Chris
    Based on Lord British Castle last room experience - really guys, it's a bad mechanic which gives only a bad impression.

I liked the scene but would I adjust my avatar and go there again? - No.
    Want to make it harder to AOE mages - Change golems aura to -200 att debuff to all schools from what you have would be ok. Now it SET all your magic att to -200 regardless of how much you have.
    Completely turn off magic looks bad, feels bad, and I don't see ANY reason for this mechanic to exist in the game.

P.S. magic AOE is not the strongest AOE in the game, the strongest AOE glyph in the game is multishot.
    P.S. For Physical users - just imagine +5k physical resistance buff to the mob, it's how we mages feel when we met 10k+ hp golems.

2. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I've pinged the team to peek at this. More feedback from other players would also be helpful :) Thanks for the input, Spinok :)

Fetid SirDidy, Elwyn, Spinok and 3 others like this.
  3. Dyonisys

Dyonisys Avatar

I think personnaly its good, you need kite them or change build or adventure with a group.

I think the mechanic of obsidians golems should stay

Imo :)

And btw i have mage build atm

4. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

We may also need creature with weapon damage + damage resistance + damage avoidance + dodge + parry + block + any physical damage and defense cancellation field, and also creatures immune physical damage. :eek:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Saesa, Net, Elwyn and 1 other person like this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, that sounds like a terrible idea. As is the super magic resistant mobs. I'm fine with enemies that force you to change up your approach, but there's a big difference between changing your approach and changing your entire build. If a mob has super Aimed Shot resistance, okay, that fight's going to be a lot trickier. If a mob requires me to go dump 30 million xp into a magic tree and craft/acquire an entirely new set of gear, that's a bad mechanic made by someone who plays the game with spreadsheets.

Cordelayne, Elwyn, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  6. Dyonisys

Dyonisys Avatar

Maybe it will force you to prepare for specific zone and gather guild members or friend to get through :) but love this idea for some zone as it will require coop and group play :)

But once again an opinion :) can you solo everything in WoW ? No :)

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I don't want to solo everything. I am fine with some areas being above my level. TBH, I don't even care about LB's castle, that was always meant to be group content. But that doesn't mean it's not a poorly designed lazy mechanic. And they love to take their poorly designed lazy mechanics and use them all over the place.

Net, Anpu and majoria70 like this.
  8. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

I 100% agree with Spinok this is the worse mechanic in the game. I have only been to LB Castle once when it was released and when I reached that last stage I left and never returned again. It's stupid that you want a mage to spend 45+ min in combat just because of 2 mob.

The only other time I have been back was to help people out in gathering items for the new shrine. That mechanic basically put a large majority of player base away from that zone.

I mean you spent time to make a zone, a paid for zone and I do not believe it is used as much as the time spent to create the zone.

There is no mob in the game that give -200 or 200% physical resistance in the game.

Fetid SirDidy and Spinok like this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

In other words, what would be "just change classes, bro!" in a game with defined classes? I was not aware of this mechanic, even though I went i there once, but I certainly don't like that it needs a "just change builds" attitude to justify its existence.

In another game I've played (FInal Fantasy XI), such total resistance mechanics usually switched between total magic resistance and total melee resistance, with a visual indication of the switch. Or the more you attack with one type of damage, the more its resistance shifts to that type of damage, with a possible wild-card type of "formless" damage from a few classes as a special long-cooldown attack (the one I remember was from monk). Then a strategy is have melee-only beat on it until it gets high resistance, then drop the nukes now that its magic resistance is down. But then there IS a strategy, not just total F.U.

AzazelReborn likes this.
  10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

As someone who plays a pure mage, there are a lot of areas in the game that are simply no-go zones because of this magic shutdown crap. Yeah, I know, I can bring a melee weapon on beat on things but it is inconvenient and annoying and just feels wrong to have areas where some character builds are not just "less effective" but "completely crippled." I'm much more likely to "avoid dealing with it" than to try and play a build I am less comfortable with, less geared for, and don't enjoy, to try and circumvent these mechanics. Mages already have to tolerate everything being super magic resistant (which is why so many play fire, as its the only school that can really effectively mitigate it) - having a complete magic block is just unwarranted. In a game where we keep going on about "choice" players really do get pigeonholed into a handful of viable options unless they severely limit where they go.

I know being a "classless" system gives license to adaptability, but with magic, because of attunement (and specialization) you DO have to level and gear for a single particular element for the most part for the purposes of "offense." If something's immune to whatever you chose, or so resistant to it that it makes it a boring slog, then you just learn to avoid that content rather than trying to change your build. (Or you choose one of the handful of universally more viable builds rather than playing what you enjoy, pragmatism over preference). Taking the path of least resistance isn't really a choice, its a consequence.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Lucky1221, Cordelayne, Elwyn and 2 others like this.
  11. Powersurge45

Powersurge45 Avatar

My suggestion is leave it as it is...but allow life magic...all offensive magic is -200...but at least give us a chance to heal our tank and anyone who did swords or bow or whatever...my biggest issue is i couldnt purify it...because my life magic was -200. Either way I think you can still just overwhelm everything with 8 or so people...just not less than 4 due to the anti magic mechanic. I havent tried it enough to know much else otherwise. Unfortunately I kinda fall into the group of folks that "will not deal with it". Especially since I believe the reward cannot be worth the hassle.

kaeshiva likes this.
  12. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

I find this really annoying too. With 370+ Air Attunement AND the ability to add -60 to my targets resist from air specialization/lightning there are still several mobs in the game that have high enough resist that my spells are completely or partially resisted (Meaning my spells do anywhere from 0 to upwards of 10 damage to them... IE less than they regen in the time it takes me to cast...)
    By contrast, I have never seen a mob that I cant beat to death with a club. I would be fine with mobs that are harder to fight as a mage but I REALLY DISLIKE having to switch to weapons to kill many of the end game mobs in this game...

A few example of mobs I cant touch with spells that are easy to beat to death with a club:
    - Shadow Critters (0 damage from my spells. By contrast, a good crit with crushing blow/savage sonata/fireflies does north of 1,100 on these guys...)
    - Envy Angel (0 damage from my spells)
    - Lich bosses (10ish damage from a crit...)
    - Undead mages in high level zones (10-20ish damage from a crit.)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Lucky1221, kaeshiva and Net like this.
  13. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

The anti-magic fields suck, but the comparisons to melee are also flawed. Just because anything can be hit with physical damage doesn't mean there's not plenty of things that can only be kited outside of a group or that are just much much more efficient to kill with magic. As a death mage, I have a hard time feeling too bad about any of it.

That being said, it seems like pretty bad design to make content that basically locks out large chunks of the population. Variety is nice, but you can easily have strengths and weaknesses that aren't so extreme.

Lucky1221 likes this.
  14. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

From an immersion perspective, it makes sense for elemental projectile magic to be a mix of the appropriate elemental damage type and physical damage. The physical damage results from the concussive impact of the projectile. Attacks like a cone of fire or ring of fire would be pure elemental magic.

If elemental projectile magic for both players and Mobs worked the same way, it would make sense for the Obsidian Golems to be immune to the magic damage portion of such attacks, but they would still take damage from the physical component thus allowing magic users to actually kill them. Additionally, there could also be an obsidian golem boss/elite that could have the magic dampening aura for extra layer of challenge.

It's counterintuitive and frustrating when logic dictates that you should be able to stack elemental resistances when fighting a particular Mob type to help you cope with their attacks and find out that the resistance has no bearing (e.g. fire elemental boss). It would probably be helpful if creatures had a variety of attacks that could have a varying mix of elemental and physical damage so that resistances still have meaning no mob would be completely resistible.

Lucky1221 likes this.
  15. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

Removing or reducing this mechanic's affect would open things up a bit and i think that's a good thing. While you're at it, do something about the quick re-spawn, frenzied, focus sucking zombies in Despair and Mykur. Those things need to go or be adjusted to open those places up too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.