1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Recipe Book

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Jakkal, Dec 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

I know we'd all love for the journal to be replaced with one that includes search options, etc but in the meantime can we get the items split up into more categories. The current deco categories are a pain to search through. As an example, I have over 40 pages of carpentry decorations. The addition of craft-able Maps just made it even worse then it was to find a recipe.

Specifically please split the current Deco categories for Blacksmithing, Carpentry, Smithing, etc into the following categories...
    - Furniture
    - Lighting
    - Maps
    - Seasonal
    - Pavers
    - Rugs
    - Deco (everything else not in the above categories like fountains, statues, dummy, target, mailboxes, mantle and wall clocks, etc)

2. Isabel Ayin

Isabel Ayin Avatar

This is a very good idea. Yesterday I was thinking that it would be nice if the recipe book had a search engine, or at least if the objects were divided into more categories, especially carpentry and smithing, which have so many decorative objects.

Elgarion likes this.
  3. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Ya we'd all love a search ability but dividing the categories is likely a lot easier to implement and is helpful with or without a search function.

I'd also love if they got rid of the unique recipe items for non-discoverable recipes. The quantity of items required and multiple steps we have to do in some cases is extremely frustrating and totally unnecessary for non-discoverable recipes.

Elgarion likes this.
  4. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

@Elgarion maybe you can look into splitting these categories. I'm currently clicking through 45 pages of carpentry deco recipes to find the one I need. I don't even have all the carpentry deco recipes, so some players likely have over 50 pages of them. In web site design they had a rule that everything was available within 3 clicks. Not asking for that, but 45+ clicks is ridiculous and you keep adding more. yipes...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Elgarion likes this.
  5. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I would be happy if the recipe book was just in alphabetical order for each section.

Cooking level means nothing in terms of recipes. Many high tier cooking recipes are level 1 recipes for some reason, and so splitting recipes up by level doesn't make any sense, especially when cooking can be GMed for only 1.2 million xp (which can be done in a weekend) and after that there isn't any reason to take it further.

Elgarion and Gravidy like this.
  6. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

I'm guessing that would take extra coding which is probably more of a UI thing the DevilCult would work on. He already has a ton on his plate. Adding new categories and shifting recipes around is likely simpler data entry so more Elgarion's field. Not to say that that's all Elgarion does, he has multiple skills. Also Elgarion liked the original idea, so he's likely more willing to modify the recipe book.

When DevilCult has time, I'm sure he'll look into alphabetizing it or adding a search option.

FrostII and Elgarion like this.
  7. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

How about making EVERYONE"S recipe book the same, Showing every available recipe. But - it only lets you see the ingredients of the recipe's you know and can craft. The recipe's you dont know - just show the name.

FrostII and Lilith Ayin like this.
  8. Isabel Ayin

Isabel Ayin Avatar

Or maybe, the recipe you don't know could also show all the necessary ingredients, but it was disabled or in red to indicate that you cannot make it.

FrostII likes this.
  9. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Possibly, even just a list of them could be helpful. Maybe someone could create a conversationalist for that though to help new players find recipes. They might have to break them down into categories due to the amount of text it would require.

FrostII likes this.
  10. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

Thought of that, but makes the "discoverable" aspect of a new recipe moot...

11. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

I really wish they'd change how the material recognition part of the crafting screen works for non-discoverable recipes. It leads to some terrible material requirements just so they remain "unique" from other recipes. Ex. the simple mailbox that requires 16 boards or roughly 12 wood (depending on your refining metic skill). Yipes! If its not the material requirements its the huge # of steps just to craft something simple, like some of the pavers. Ex. The Rough Stone Roadway Straight x4 Curve requires 17 steps to craft. Ya 17... It's horrible AND it's only a bloody paver. After saying this everyone will likely come and buy it off my vendor just to punish me.

The way it should work for non-discoverable recipes is you select the recipe, switch out any components you want and then the craft button checks the materials for the SELECTED recipe. So the selected recipe is part of the uniqueness of the materials. So for example you can have a mailbox and a sturdy chair both require the exact same materials, but the craft button checks the selected recipe so it knows which one to craft. The only requirement would be that the materials can't match the materials required for a discoverable recipe.

ConjurerDragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.