Could use some advice on melee

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Ysold, Feb 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Don't make it any less OP.

2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

But like Necronut said, Stuns have a buff applied to the mob which gives them more cc resistance, which was a balance change implemented a while back, also works on players, but players can get 2 stacks of this buff by actively jumping out of the CC. This buff gets applied from any source of hard cc, and reaches a point where you can no longer stun anything. That makes it less OP.

Anpu and necronut like this.
  3. Powersurge45

Powersurge45 Avatar

So much of what we build centers around our ability to solo...My first character took a different approach. Mostly because i didnt know what i was doing. Sure i had to learn to use a few skills just to be able to kill something...like sun ray and ice arrow. I took those up just to give myself some non weapon damage...but I always picked up a buddy. I spent almost all of my initial xp learning the life tree....back when i started playing (years ago in fact) everyone was so focused on learning how to do damage that I was always welcome in a group because I focused on healing people with the life tree. Even at just GM for those skills, they are normally more than enough to heal virtually all encounters if you are paying attention.

Most of my expertise revolves around how magic works in Sota. Some of the strongest early abilities are those that have duration themed effects...soothing rain, healing grace, cocoon of night, torpor and the (sun tree Illumination, cant remember name) all heal over time. Healing over time is the best way to heal as while you are gaining those hps you can do damage...and as long as you can do more damage than the amount of damage a monster does plus your healing you can win the fight/race. So that preparation is important. Eating food that increases Hps or focus over time is also helpful.

Now moving on to the topic i was mostly wanting to discuss...if you have a little cash on you and you want to be a mage...work on getting your attunement to a single school of magic as high as possible using enchanted rings, and artifacts. Right now I have a level 94 Moon mage that crits orange mobs in the 400s with Meteor Shower. My Shooting star also hits in the 400s-500s with criticals. That is insane when you are thinking about how i'm not even level 100. Currently I'm not even specialized but i'm working my way there. I have 8 skills at GM, but none over 100, and my Moon attunement is 240. My INT is pretty low at 165.

Those are just some tips I have learned over the years as i was focused on all the wrong things. I had no idea how powerful attunement for virtually any school was...and how INT wasn't nearly as important as I initially assumed.

Ysold likes this.
  4. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Not sure. Can you tell me more about it?

5. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

First stun for 22 full seconds? That's as OP as it can get.
    For PVP, the most OP stunlock I've faced is Chaotic Feedback + Earthquake.

6. necronut

necronut Avatar

When you apply anything with CC, the enemy/player gets a 20% resist for 30 seconds to your next. This stacks up to 3 times. So if you keep applying stuns, your opponent gets up to 60% chance to completely ignore it.

There is a near zero percentage chance that you can stunlock anyone, or anything, anywhere, under any circumstances because of the CC resist wall you apparently haven't met yet. I'm guessing, of course, since you're not sure how it works.

Smelling salts breaks a mes.

And spamming space bar breaks that earthquake stun, just like with the spider stun.

Anpu likes this.
  7. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Thanks for the explanation!
    I couldn't break the PVP Earthquake stunlock by mashing the spacebar. The fight was like: Enemy: Blink, Earthquake + dmg skill from earth tree. Me: try start casting Torpid Torment, mash spacebar, watch HP reach zero.

8. necronut

necronut Avatar

Spacebar works, it's the spacebar in combination with a stat or an attribute. I can't recall which. Another smarter SotA player could explain this, but alas... I cannot.

Also, break Torpid with Purify instead of dying while you're mashing spacebar.

EDIT: In hindsight, I see at the end you said you were trying to cast Torpid. Not under Torpid. My bad.

FBohler likes this.
  9. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Basically the guy spammed Earthquake so fast with CF, that as soon as my character slowly started getting up on his feet, he was knocked down to the ground again. Torpid was some kind of desperate move by my side to try and mitigate the spam lol.

10. necronut

necronut Avatar

There's good stun resist in Heavy Armor, maybe in a couple other places. Might be worth a shot. I went from fire/sun to fire/heavy, just a heavy chest. I get good resist now, just got everything in heavy to GM though, I could push up, just gonna build up another good xp pool first.

FBohler likes this.
  11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Yes, YOUR bad! :D

How was that for being sarcastic? Sarcastic is not really my thing, but your prior sarcastic posts inspired me to try it. I think I have a long way to go yet.

necronut likes this.
  12. necronut

necronut Avatar

Bravo! ;)

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  13. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

I figured it out....

It seems the +73% base damage means, 73% OF the base damage of the weapon you're using. Another of my characters (with no polearm skill) used the same halberd on a practice dummy and got 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 etc.

Just thought I'd let you know,
    Ysold.

Anpu, Barugon and FBohler like this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Moon Worship Question:

I have a very dex'y character who is also in light armor. I don't use much in the Moon Skill Tree other than Night Vision.

My question... Moon Worship seems to have a downside when looking at the glyph, where (-dex) is also listed. I have not begun training this, does the negative effects on dex when the moon is not in the sky offset the gains when the moon is out?

~TL~

15. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

You will not lose dex no, just gain some when the moon is active

Time Lord and Violet Ronso like this.
  16. Elrich Skychosen

Elrich Skychosen Avatar

May be stupid to mention and may be common knowledge but most the posts I read didn’t mention it so in case it it isn’t apparent.

the order of engagement makes a big difference with mobs.

I use heavy armor but it should still be applicable. I kill magic users first, bc they go down the quickest, then archers and lastly the fighters. Archers and magic users usually stand a distance away so the fighters will spend time trying to catch u and once you have eliminated the outer threats you can focus on the fighters which has improved my survivability.

I use pole-arms so as soon as the fighting types get close I hit them with the swirly attack so by the time I get to cleaning up the mob they’re already below half.

Hope that doesn’t come off as insulting to anyone’s intelligence I just know it helpes me a lot. Hopefully that’s useful if not … I just wanted to contribute :D

17. Elrich Skychosen

Elrich Skychosen Avatar

How do you have your hands positioned on the keyboard?

what’s your configuration? Because I’m using the standard w a s d array, and I don’t know how someone can run around the mob and stack glyphs on 7890… I’ve re worked mine so I use q23er for my 1-5 hot keys which works out okay where q is my “draw” slot I’m starting to get the hang of it but I’m left befuddled for the 6-0 slots… I use that half of the bar for my defense and want to stack those glyphs as well although your advice works using my cursor I always lose it moving around in the fight…

ive watched YouTube videos and the players hot keys are always 1-0 and they’re moving and stacking and I don’t see them using their cursor…

But, how in the name of Zues’s butt-hole do you make that happen???

Any advice you can provide regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated :).

FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  18. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Hey @Elrich Skychosen !

Of course, The way I do it is that I have brought my WASD over to ESDF respectively, my pinky is resting on my Shift key, but very close to the Z key, instead of close to the side of the keyboard.

This allows me to use the new keys surrounding my movement with access to more things without needing to lift my hand.

Now the M3 Key in the list above is the side button on my mouse, so when I am stacking, what I do is I press and hold the side button of the mouse, and then I press the key that would result in a stack, and once the stack is done, I can release both presses.

Also, if you have noticed, I moved my combat bar to the top of my screen. I feel like I see things passively better when the passive thing is closer to the action. When the combat bar is at the bottom, it is behind your character, so you are not looking at the monster at the same time. By moving it up to the top, you can look at the monster, and still see the green outlines to create the combo.

That is pretty much what I do!

19. Elrich Skychosen

Elrich Skychosen Avatar

Thank u so much!

I was wondering why u moved the bar to the top, was thinking about trying it to see if I could find out the why.

Awesome I can’t wait to try this out and fine tune to my liking and style :)!

20. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I rebind every game I play to esdf now. It works so much better for me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.