Can you eliminate Unity Crash Handler?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Justiciar, Apr 2, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justiciar

Justiciar Avatar

Hello.
    Is there an actual purpose for Unity Crash Handler? While it may have been useful many many versions ago, I find that this doesn't prevent things like memory corruption and system crashes and in fact adds a second chance to take down my entire system when it runs out of memory due to the leak (and if it doesn't, it still takes a looooong time to actually do whatever it is it's doing). Can you either eliminate it or toss in some code like "if out of memory exception then exit"?

2. Katu

Katu Avatar

It's a program used to send crash reports to developers.
    It is not the source of your problems, I'm quite sure about that.

That app rans in quite hard places. It's only job is to help sending the data to devs, but if you are running out of memory, its hard to run any apps.
    I can guarantee, that this game runs, with fast start ups and clean exits, if your computer is working and equipped with good enought hardware ( mine is 4-7 years old, depending what parts you look at )

How much RAM do you have?

PS: I think it can either be deleted OR renamed to something else.

3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You shouldn’t actually be seeing the crash app loading at all. Any specific information you can share?

4. Justiciar

Justiciar Avatar

I have no concern about the game running - it is Unity Crash Handler that I'm concerned about since it seems to be automatically triggered whenever SOTA crashes, which can occur for a number of reasons including trying to follow NULL pointers and running out of memory. Running out of memory is almost guaranteed after several hours of play, particularly if you change scenes several times, and Unity Crash Handler appears to be automatically triggered and if it can't run can hose the entire system (take it to a state where it is totally unresponsive). My system has 16GB RAM but that is not relevant as with enough play it will consume all the RAM in the system no matter how much you have.

If you do anything with Unity Crash Handler the updater will reset your patch level to 0 so that is not an option.

I've had a look at SOTA and now it appears to be both in Program Files (x86) and Program Files. My patch aborted and restarted at downloading patch 0->1375. Could the double directories be the reason?
    I've also noticed that SOTA does not clean up its downloads folder. I currently have about 30GB of uncleaned-up patches from the last week. I'm using Windows Standalone (not STEAM) SOTA.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  5. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I see it often when I am in loading screens and get crash to desktop

It just looks like any other "windows is derpy! Derp!" dialog box that pops up when microsoft poops their pants. It only appears for 2 seconds for me and then goes away, and i restart sota and go through loading screens a bunch more.

Agree - not trying to start a flame with this, but SOTA is some of the most non performant software Ive ever run (and Ive spent years building software for data engineering pipelines).

I was using a machine with 32GB ram, decent vid card, i5 cpu - would still get terrible memory bloat and leaks, etc, sota seems to just use up resources until there are no more.

Just like Justicar said - no matter how beefy the machine, several hours of play guarantees your system runs out of adequate resources and sota will CTD, almost always related to memory.

I know play with 16GB ram / 8GB video ram, and a high end vid card and stronger CPU, and its the same deal - SOTA will eventually use nearly all system memory, crash, and i just restart.

I assume everyone is just used to this and stopped reporting it years ago?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    arcdevil likes this.
  6. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

I found that de-installing it removes it.

7. Justiciar

Justiciar Avatar

Problem: I found that if I add it back after renaming/removing it it will trigger a full update from patch 0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.