1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice

[Submitted 68963] Enemies leaving combat

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills & Magic' started by Jakkal, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Reproducible? Out of our control, but happens fairly often

Blocker? No

@Sannio mentioned this behavior isn't supposed to occur and requested I post this as a bug report.

Details: Enemies will leave combat to go attack a squirrel, rabbit, does, etc even though they have are currently being attacked by a player, in some cases when the targeted enemy is well below 50% health.

In the latest occurrence I was in Ulfheim attacking a Wyvern which was down roughly 60% of its health, when the Wyvern flew off and attacked/killed a rabbit off on a hillside that was behind the Wyvern.

Is my agro so low that a common rabbit can tank for me? lol

Steps to Reproduce: attack things that will also attack small critters. ex. Wyverns, Wolves, Reapers.

It is a fairly common occurrence. In the last 30 minutes...
    Wyvern left to kill a rabbit
    Wolf left to kill a rabbit
    Reaper left to kill a squirrel

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

@Jakkal , thanks for the report. However, I need specific coordinates in these sorts of reports. Often, they're related to either a flawed path grid or the leash of an NPC is too short, and knowing the exact location can be critical to fixing these sorts of issues. If you find yourself back in any of the troublestops, type "/loc" into your chat window then paste the result into a post.

vulcanjedi and Anpu like this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Echondas and Sannio like this.
  4. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

@Sannio I didn't include scene info because it's not specific to any scene. I've seen it in every scene at various times since I started playing. I could do /bug reports for this in literally dozens of locations in dozens of scenes. Don't see how that would help.

5. Sannio

All NPC bugs need to start with a "loc" along with a description of the unusual behavior. "There's a problem at ABC" is great info for an investigation to start while "There's a problem in general" is too broad and would require a dev to try to reproduce your experience with insufficient information. If you're seeing the same incorrect NPC behavior a lot and in multiple scenes, even a few specific locations would give us a good starting point for researching the issue.

Anpu likes this.
  6. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

As I stated I could literally link any location in any scene so not sure what good it does you. It's likely more of a targeting issue then a mesh issue since it happens soooo often. Targeting has always been an issue, where the locked target will totally be ignored at times even though the target is directly in front.

Anyway here's some of the locations in this scene. I cut out some of the repeated info.

The following locations are all in ulfheim but the issue is not limited to ulfheim, it just happens to be the scene I'm active in.

04/15/2021 17:02
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 16317
    GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 360 GPU RAM: 2024

SotA.Win.64.1376.Date.04.09.21
    Area: Novia_R9_Forest02_03
    Area Display Name: Ulfheim
    Loc: (55.0, 52.1, -157.8)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjlfRm9yZXN0MDJfMDN8fCg1NS4wMzIsIDUyLjEzNCwgLTE1Ny44MzQpfCgwLCAwLjY1NCwgMCwgMC43NTYpfC02NzUxLjMzNHwxNC41MTkwM3wxMC4yMjc0Ng==

Loc: (131.9, 54.3, -106.1)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjlfRm9yZXN0MDJfMDN8fCgxMzEuOTIsIDU0LjI1MSwgLTEwNi4wOSl8KDAsIDAuODczLCAwLCAwLjQ4OCl8LTY3MTguMjU1fDIxLjE0MTYxfDEwLjIyNzQ2

This next one likely does have nav mesh issues as the wolves/bears reset their position all the time in this area.

Loc: (133.2, 61.5, -184.0)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjlfRm9yZXN0MDJfMDN8fCgxMzMuMjA3LCA2MS40NTYsIC0xODMuOTUpfCgwLCAtMC41NjYsIDAsIC0wLjgyNCl8LTY3ODcuOTAxfDMxLjgwMTM4fDEwLjIyNzQ2

7. Sannio

Now we have a starting point. :) Thanks for the info! Issue #68963

Anpu likes this.
  8. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

I still don't see why this is required for every bug. There are plenty of issues like this issue that are NOT scene/location specific.

9. Sannio

Every bug starts with a dev trying to reproduce the reported bug. We want to reproduce the situation as close to the report as possible, including the location and the specific NPCs/objects interacted with in the report. NPCs and objects can be locally customized in a specific scene, and the scene itself could have problems that cause the bug. The same bug could be in multiple scenes but not all scenes. Related to this thread, when an enemy's movement is weird, we need to start with a location. A case where we might not need a location is if a common enemy was using a common ability that did 1000 times normal damage, because non-boss abilities are almost never unique to a specific scene. Always best to give more data in the bug report than less.

Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
  10. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

That's fine in a way but it really devalues the players and in this case multiple players perspective of the issue. In this case your going to spend hours attempting to replicate an issue, that is rather sporadic so could take anywhere from 10 to 1000 minutes to replicate. A long standing player complaint/issue that's more about the core mechanics of how targeting works, so it really just needs a total review of the code to determine and eliminate any mechanic that doesn't target the locked target.

11. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Just happened again. It happens fairly regularly but managed to log it this time.

07/03/2021 02:47
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate: occasional
    Blocker? no
    Details: Obsidian Wolf with roughly 10% of its health left, left combat at following co-ordinates Loc: (184.4, 49.3, -125.7) to kill a rabbit at the following coordinates.Loc: (164.0, 52.4, -102.8). Note that their is a crest of a hill in-between so the rabbit wasn't even in line of sight of the wolf. The wolf did return moments later after killing the rabbit.

Steps to Reproduce: No idea. Fight things that treat non-combat creatures like rabbits.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 16317
    GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 360 GPU RAM: 2024
    SotA.Win.64.1410.Date.07.01.21
    Loc: (184.4, 49.3, -125.7)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjlfRm9yZXN0MDJfMDN8fCgxODQuNDQ0LCA0OS4yNzksIC0xMjUuNzQ1KXwoMCwgMSwgMCwgMC4wMTkpfC03MjM3LjM2OHw3LjcxNTA5NHwzLjM0Mjc0Mg==

12. Sannio

Thanks for the new details. Added to issue #68963